Does the Griffon belong to France?

Open forum for regional discussion. (extension of the Information Search page for off topic & personal discussion)
Timerover51

Re: Does the Griffon belong to France?

Unread post by Timerover51 »

For more information on the Alabama, you might want to take a look at the Naval Historical Center's website,
http://www.history.navy.mil/branches/org12-1.htm.

As for who owns a shipwreck, that is a fairly complex issue if it involves a warship. I am running into that in working on putting together an expedition to the South Pacific to locate some WW2 ships. I am assuming that France is arguing that the Griffon was a warship, rather than a merchant vessel. If a warship is sunk during wartime, it becomes the property of the nation that sunk it, if that nation won, as spoils of war. However, if that sunken vessel is within the territorial waters of another nation, say Japanese ships sunk in the Solomon Islands, the nation whose waters the ships are sunk in has an interest in the ships as well. If the ship is also a war graves site, as the Japanese ships are, the original owning country has a vested interest as well. I am still working my way through all of the needed permissions.

As the Griffon sank as a consequence of weather, the issue of war is not a factor, so therefore, France still has a legitimate claim to the wreck, along with the issue of it being a grave sight. However, it is both within US territorial waters and the state of Michigan waters, so it gets more than a bit complicated as to who has immediate jurisdiction over the wreck.

With respect to the Titanic, that was a commercial vessel lost because of the hazards of the sea, and became property of the insurance companies immediately upon sinking. The articles that the various expeditions have been bringing up have been legally acquired from the insurers.
Manitoba Mariner

Does the Griffon belong to France?

Unread post by Manitoba Mariner »

I find it hypocritical that France is putting claims to the Griffon, when a few years, back they informed Clive Cussler that under no circumstances can the US lay claim to the Alabama artefacts, because the ship wreck is in French waters, it therefore belongs to France. Of course the French claimed the discovery even though they used Cusslers research, and even brought up artefacts from the Alabama. Why doesn’t the US just say “No” to France. France has a history of desecrating shipwrecks, take Titanic for example they robbed an underwater grave yard to profit from it. I don’t see this any different then going to a shore side cemetery and digging up remains for jewellery or other valuables.

I just want to know what my fellow boatnerds take on this issue is?