Detroit Pet Coke

Discussion board focusing on Great Lakes Shipping Question & Answer. From beginner to expert all posts are welcome.
Mr Link

Re: Detroit Pet Coke

Unread post by Mr Link »

Guest wrote:How does this work with the Jones Act then? I thought only US flag ships could haul cargo between US ports. Would this coke in Toledo then only be available to haul in Canadian hulls then?

More than likely the pet coke is being trucked from Detroit to Toledo. If I recall correctly, the loading silo at Marathon's new delayed coker is designed to load trucks only. There is no rail or marine access. Plus Ohio allows Michigan legal 164,000 pound trucks to enter the Toledo port area, so large trucks can make the trip with no trans-shipment.

Anything pet coke being loaded in Detroit is just remnants of this summer's piles.
toledoboatphotographer

Unread post by toledoboatphotographer »

The Atlantic Huron loaded at Detroit probably whatever was left on the dock. She then came down to Toledo to finish loading before going to Sydney. There was no Jones Act violation by doing this as she loaded cargo at both ports. There was no unloading of cargo involved here. Both U.S. and Canadian boats have loaded pet coke at Toledo. Since Toledo is now getting this coke product instead of Detroit we will probably see more shipping activity involved with this cargo at this port.
jude

Unread post by jude »

Last week, Atlantic Huron loaded Pet Coke, Detroit River, EAST of the bridge. Then went to Toledo, now on the way to Sydney NS. There are 2 locations of Pet Coke on the Detroit River. I have FB pics during a storm where the Pet Coke was blowing across the Detroit River but do not know how to post

Unread post by Guest »

How does this work with the Jones Act then? I thought only US flag ships could haul cargo between US ports. Would this coke in Toledo then only be available to haul in Canadian hulls then?

Unread post by Guest »

The pet coke in Detroit can be moved, to Toledo, instead of the long seaway trip to the Atlantic coast. Pet coke is unloaded in Toledo at the Midwest Overseas Terminal dock across from the USCG Toledo station. Such a short trip probably won’t help the idled hulls. I think Algoma’s Latimer, in late July, was the last pet coke float to Toledo and possibly from Detroit. The picture is for the pet coke piles in Toledo. The Toledo pet coke piles are behind the incoming saltie Isa and the winter laid-up Defiance/Ashtabula. 90% of the Canadian ore floats leave Toledo Torco empty. They could return to the Atlantic coast with the Toledo pet coke. Just my thoughts.
Attachments
100_3308.JPG
middlerouge

Detroit Pet Coke

Unread post by middlerouge »

Detroit Mayor Bing has order the pet coke piles remove by the 27 of august. The owner of the either the coke or the dock, I forget who, said that they are working on it, but they don't have available freighters to take it away. Knowing CSL had been shipping some of it out, could this mean that the Frontenac and tadoussac could leave lay-up to carry the pet coke down the seaway?