Storm Passage

Discussion board focusing on Great Lakes Shipping Question & Answer. From beginner to expert all posts are welcome.
Russ

Re: Storm Passage

Unread post by Russ »

Captain Dudley Paquette correctly predicted the track and intensity of the fatal storm that was about to hit Lake Superior before the Sikes reached the loading dock on 9 November, more than a day before the Fitzgerald started on her last fatal trip in the afternoon of 9 November, and more than two days before the weather service finally predicted the track and severity of the storm at 2AM on 10 November. Captain Paquette was better at assessing pending weather conditions than either Captain McSorley on the Fitzgerald or Captain Cooper on the Arthur M. Anderson. Captain Neil Rolfson on the Roger Blough, that sought shelter near Isle Royale as the storm was developing, acknowledged Captain Paquette's ability at predicting weather [The night the Fitz went Down].
kazoonerd

Unread post by kazoonerd »

The Sykes took shelter in the Fitz storm. As others have also noticed, attitudes have changed both on the boats and in the offices.
hayhugh2

Unread post by hayhugh2 »

It's unlikely there is anyone in the office with the experience to make a better weather decision then the Captain on the boat.
Chief

Unread post by Chief »

Around the time of the loss of the Fitz, only the older vessels hid from the weather and the newer ones went about their business. Now the newer ones are now the older ones and they are being more cautious. A more direct answer is "yes" , I noticed that in my last years of sailing that more and more ships were hiding from the weather. Not a bad thing and appears to be working as I haven't heard of weather related sinking since the Fitz.

Unread post by Guest »

The captain has the last word on what route to take or to take shelter somewhere and drop the hook. The ship and crew are his responsibility and the main office for any well ran fleet recognizes that and trusts the judgement of anyone that they allow to command one of their own.

There are no young ships in the American fleet. Even in the old days, captains of older vessels took far less risks than one captaining the latest ship out of the yard. So that's one reason for caution.

Another is the far more complete and instant weather information that they have available in recent decades. They're far more likely to be caught by surprise or misjudge a situation than in years earlier.

And then you have other factors that play into it. In many ways, our society is much more hesitant and cautious than it once was (Although it doesn't seem to have the common sense and other positive factors to such a degree as it used to), and you have the high risk of litigation if things go horribly wrong, pollution, etc.

And not only that, you have the cost of a lost vessel that could doom a vessel operator since we're in a situation where it's almost out of the question to contact a shipyard and order a vessel and planning and lead times are many years if it were to happen. And fleets that have near 100% utilization can't afford a ship to waste time in a dry dock repairing storm related damages or regularly absorbing the extra cost in the often lean times modern fleets have dealt with since 1979.

So I'm sure that the people back at the main office have been stressing caution for many years at this point rather than rewarding the captains that "damn the torpedoes" and disregard exercising caution to get in an extra trip or two during the season.

I don't know if consciousness of past disasters plays much of a role in it. You would think that if anything it's less now since the Lakes are so safe these days unlike in earlier decades where the loss of a large bulk carrier was almost routine. Even the Edmund Fitzgerald is nearing 40 years since her loss. Hard to believe that's in the back of anyone's mind very often in today's fleet.

Unread post by Guest »

All ships are in contact with their respective owner, and give an updated position report and an ETA for their next destination. They also report the time they dropped anchor, for how long they were at anchorage and what time they raised anchor.

Shipmasters have become more cautious since the Fitz sinking. The sinking of the Edmund Fitzgerald was a shock to the industry. The decision of whether a ship should proceed into heavy weather is the decision of the master.

In regards to the recent gale warnings. The Edgar B. Speer was travelling westbound on Lake Superior at the time of issuance of the gale warnings from the northeast and later east. She would have had the winds on her stern and this wouldn't present a problem generally. It would be different if she was heading into the seas, which is why Herbert C. Jackson took the north-shore of Lake Superior route.
Scott

Storm Passage

Unread post by Scott »

In recent years I've noticed many lakers taking fewer chances with the weather during gales. Is this due to the loss of the Fitzgerald or just a healthier respect for the weather? I also noticed in the past few days that the Walter J McArthy and the Edgar B Speer are braving the gale warnings and making a go of it. Ultimately, is it the captains responsibly to make that decision or is the shipping company involved? I seem to recall during the Fitzgeralds final trip that she was in contact with Ogelbay Norton with updates on transit times.