ROMAN on the move

Discussion board focusing on Great Lakes Shipping Question & Answer. From beginner to expert all posts are welcome.
PDBLK25

Re: ROMAN on the move

Unread post by PDBLK25 »

Guest wrote:You know if it wasn't for the laws the mills and elevators would love to tender cargoes out to flag of convience companies, I'd assume somewhere in the not so distant future they will start lobbying for it.
The lobbying has already started. Remember Senator John McCain's attacks on the "unnecessary" Jones Act? A lot of free-trade fanatics want to see it go.

Unread post by Guest »

You know if it wasn't for the laws the mills and elevators would love to tender cargoes out to flag of convience companies, I'd assume somewhere in the not so distant future they will start lobbying for it.
Darryl

Unread post by Darryl »

They could staff the American and Canadian Lakers with seven crew, and they still couldn't compete with the steel dumped from these Third World nations. That is the reality of today created by these trade agreements.

Unread post by Guest »

I myself have sailed for many years with Canadian shipping companies and yes the quality of food has changed a lot with only one cook it's not rightone person having to cook for 18 - 25 men and women by yourself,yes the crew is cut but there is always a couple cadets,contractors,shore people,etc.on board that they also have to eat that are not crew and don't get any extra for them.If I had the choice I would sail a ship with more then one cook any day psqr
kamco

Unread post by kamco »

I sailed for many years both Canadian and Foreign ships with only one cook in galley.The quality of the food was never in question.I also sailed Canadian with 3 in the galley no difference. Both Captain and I made our own rooms.Not a problem.
Old sailer

Unread post by Old sailer »

Csl fan what's the crew numbers on the Tad and Frontenac today or are they back in the good old days .

Unread post by Guest »

Just like everything else the fun is being taken out of it, for as long as ships have sailed the Lakes the skippers room was made up, there were at least 3 in the galley sometimes 4, Im going to assume since there down to one cook the lakes tradition of great food is going to take a hit. Just like Capt Metz said sailing is no fun anymore its too bad.
csler

Unread post by csler »

The ships are manned within the current regulations.The Europeans and Brits run some coastal ships with 6-9 crew,CSL new ships only carry 2 watchkeeping engineers and one oiler. Galley has only a cook.
The days of officers rooms being made up for the most part are gone.this is 2017 not 1950
Old sailer

Thanks guest . Looks like the captain and officers are making their own rooms and perhaps doing their own dishes. Do they swing one os and one ab out to tie up. Things really look like they are going downhill as far as maning and up keep.

Unread post by Guest »

Captain, 3 Mates , 4 on deck/wheelhouse, Chief Engineer, 3 engineers
1 Cook.
Old sailer

Guest great post. You seem to be in the thread on this deal ,do you have any news as to what jobs where cut and to what is the crew now from the captain down.

Unread post by Guest »

Not same Captain and Officers they all stayed with Algoma were not allowed to be hired by McKeil. All new crew with no experience on the Roman.

Unread post by Guest »

The crew was 18.
Old sailer

With a crew of 13 does that mean the Captain is standing a watch and is there only one engineer. I know a fellow on there that had the choice years ago of going with the ship or staying with CSL I'll bet he regrets staying with the ship.
Guest123

Unread post by Guest123 »

There is no Union on the Roman now and the crew has been cut from22 to 13.
Captain, Officers are the same, The new Engineer is from LLT, Saginaw, who made a move to McKeil.
Old sailer

With the Roman now owned by Mckeal what happens to the crew. Is the new owner crewed by SIU. Also what about the Captain and officers and enginears.
cpfan

Unread post by cpfan »

Looks like I missed that. Mckeil "will acquire and operate".

https://mckeil.com/post/mckeil-marine-e ... ent-essroc

Steve
TWilush

Unread post by TWilush »

cpfan wrote:Denny:

I think that the Roman was operated by Algoma on behalf of Essroc.

She is still owned by Essroc but now managed by McKeil.

Steve
That is incorrect, her registry has been updated to show MCKEIL WORK BOATS GP INC as her owner.
NiagaraMike

Unread post by NiagaraMike »

cpFan is correct I doubt there will be any difference in her appearance Essoroc will still own her.
cpfan

Unread post by cpfan »

Denny:

I think that the Roman was operated by Algoma on behalf of Essroc.

She is still owned by Essroc but now managed by McKeil.

Steve