My starting to be a sailor

Discussion board focusing on Great Lakes Shipping Question & Answer. From beginner to expert all posts are welcome.
Lakercapt

Re: My starting to be a sailor

Unread post by Lakercapt »

The fitting out of a new vessel is a major task as the amount of work that is not apparent to an observer is going on mostly not noticeable. I was pleased when Bob came to join me and we could split up the tasks. There were a couple of people that had been there for the three builds, Mitch whom I mentioned previously had been in right at the start and he had eyes in the back of his head as he missed nothing, Another fellow was the welding inspector. As with most ship building now the ship is built in sections and welded together. In the indoor facilities that the sections are assembled the weld are mostly done robotically and it was the welding together of the parts he was to check. A trick that some used, especially on night work, was if a seam required maybe four runs, would be to put a couple of welding rods in the seam and weld over them. To the untrained eye it looked O.K. but if he had any suspicion he would ask to have seam ex-rayed and it would show up. As an aside the stern section of the C.M. was damaged when fitting it and they substituted the one built for the S.K. to replace it so we got the repaired one. A job I did not care for was inspecting the double bottom and wing ballast tanks to see that they were painted to the specifications. The way we did it was that we had a metal thing like a comb that had groves in it and that were at different depths and you would run this along a section to of plate and would find out the thickness of the paint. Painting down in these areas would be in my option a hellish job as they all had to wear protective clothing and air supply. Each day it was from one thing to another. I had to observe the testing of the stores crane, the Suez Canal cranes, the engine room crane and he landing booms (when we swung a crew member out when tying up etc.) and sign off on them so a certificate could be issued. When the hydraulic hatches were hose tested you were in the hold looking to see and note if there was any leakage and get it fixed. The shipyard did not work on the weekend so I took advantage of that and visited my parents in Edinburgh and my mother was delighted to do my laundry which was a bonus for me! I also visited my ex neighbours and friends, so it was not all work when I was there. Much of the interior fitting were shipped over from Canada (the voltage is not the same as here as it is 220 volts), each deck of the accommodation had a laundry machine and dryer plus many of the galley fittings etc. These were checked out when there was no other things. Canadian Coast Guard inspectors were frequently on the ship checking that we complied with our regulations. As we was not going to have a radio officer we were fitted with a radio station only using R/T high and medium frequency and the satellite fax and telephone. These had to be inspected and I had to show that I had the required certificate to operate this equipment, and show them I knew what I was doing by using the radio and sat gear.
The nearer we got to the sea trial date the more frenzied things became and I had no problems sleeping each night
Lakercapt

Guest wrote:Capt I always thought that the 3 sisters built in Scotland had some of the best lines saltwater or laker I have ever seen were they good ships how were they on the inside?
I am coming to that part in my tales now so I hope you get the answers.
Thanks for reading my ramblings.

Unread post by Guest »

Capt I always thought that the 3 sisters built in Scotland had some of the best lines saltwater or laker I have ever seen were they good ships how were they on the inside?
Lakercapt

The route was to be a great circle from Northern Ireland to Belle Isle Straits as it was summer months and shortest route. The weather was pleasant and everything seemed to be working as was hoped. One problem that was not pleasant was that one of the M.A.s started to act strange and threaten to jump overboard as he was scared at not seeing any land. I was asked to talk to him and found him quite irrational and becoming more agitated. We sought medical advice and it was suggested that we give him some form of tranquilizer which was carried in the medical locker. That worked for a little while and we put him in the hospital room which could be made to open from the outside only. I asked his father who was third engineer to help but he only made things worse. A crew member was stationed outside just in case but he reported the fellow was trashing to place and next he appeared by crawling through the ventilation trunk (like you see often in movies). We managed to stop him from jumping overboard and restrained him to the hospital bed. It seemed I was the only person he trusted and I spent some time with him talking and trying to calm him down. The captain was noticeable in his absence and I suggested he be removed to shore for treatment. He asked that this sick man be put ashore for proper treatment ASAP and when we got close to Newfoundland a helicopter came out with two big guys in white coats and a couple of RCMP officers. The unfortunate fellow was put in restraints and they flew him to hospital. Very sad and not something I would like to experience again.
We continued our passage picking p pilot at Escoumains and proceeded to Montreal where we were to anchor to undergo a “Seaway “inspection. As the ship was not fully registered we took pilots all the way to the Welland Canal where the boat tied up at wharf one to complete all the formalities. Mr. Misener got off after what was not that pleasant a trip for him though I enjoyed a few cigars and chat with him. I had called my wife to come pick me up as I as to fly back to Scotland to oversee he fitting out of the S.P. and was all set to go when the shore captain told me I was to stay and take the boat up the canal to Welland dock where some work was to be carried out . I reminded him of the letter about there was only one captain and it was not me. You have more experience and he can see how you do it was the comment. I asked about my wife staying and us getting back down to her car and he said I will arrange that. To say that I was rather upset would be very mild to what I really felt. I managed to take the boat up the canal without damaging it. As it was the first time for me manoeuvring it and that gave me some satisfaction. Captain Mike who was the appointed captain of the ship said very little which suited me fine. Next morning my wife and I were given a lift down to pick up the car and drove home. The first mate Bob was to join me over in Govan to assist in fitting out the S.P. (He later was promoted master and relieved me on occasion. He became a Great lakes Pilot on the demise of Misener Shipping. Alas on his last season before retiring he died suddenly in a hotel in Thunder Bay. I attended his funeral and he was buried in uniform wearing a Misener tie. Is wife Julie Anne used to visit and always brought us some wonderful home baked cakes.)
On August 6th I flew from Toronto to Prestwick Airport and was picked up by “Mitch” the engineer who was supervising the building of the three ships. As it was the weekend I thought it would be a good chance to visit my parents in Edinburgh. I caught the train back to Glasgow and was down at the shipyard and into coveralls, hard hat and safety boots when work started. I met George the chief engineer and we sailed together for several years. There were still lots of work to do but they were aiming for the middle of September to do the sea trials.
Lakercapt

As these vessels were not going to carry a radio officer we were fitted with a satellite communication system. Remember this was over 34 years ago and the advance in technology has made this sound like out of the dark ages. That is the dome thing you see on top of the wheelhouse and inside it’s like your satellite e dish you have at home and the dome is to protect it from the weather. It is mounted on gimbals and connected to the gyro compass to ensure it points in the proper direction. I went down to Toronto and was shown how to set it up and sent a telex and used the phone. All the boxes for the working of this was in a small room just below the pilothouse and as it was for safety as well it was never closed (Except in some ports) If there was a confidenual message it sent a code that you had to use to open it as it could be seen by anyone going up to the pilothouse. Sending a telex involved making a tape that holes punched in it and if you made a mistake you just kept on going and corrected it later. If that sound archaic it was better than morse code!
I next went down to Montreal with the HR guy and met the crew that was chosen by the SIU for the Canada Marquis (after a type of wheat not a branch of European royalty) The company had got a special deal from KLM to fly them via Amsterdam with one days stay in a hotel there and I was supposed to shepherd them. Some chance as letting these guy see the sights and entertainment in that place when the furthest foreign place they had been before was Superior Wis. Course next day when we were to fly to Glasgow most were not feeling too great!. Was arrived and boarded the boat and were busy getting it ready for the trip across the Atlantic to Canada. I was handed a letter from the shore captain to remind me that I was not the captain but only there to observe and assist in any way that was needed. I did not mind that so said nothing. Next day I watched the launch of the boat I was to be captain on, Saskatchewan Pioneer. Before the CM sailed Mr. Ralph Misener and friend decided to come for the trip over so now from the passenger accommodation I was relegated to the small pilot’s cabin. We sailed and I offered to do the evening 4 till 8 watch and let Bob the sailing first mate organise the deck and all the other million of things required to be fully operational. The trip across was not a quite one but there was a serious and unfortunate happening but later.
Lakercapt

In February went to Toronto airport to pick three other captains that had been chosen for the newbuilds and drove to St.Catharines for meeting with office staff. Had photographs taken for publicity purposes.There was a meeting with the new captains and chief engineers to try and come to some form of agreement/contact that we would work with. As it was anticipated that they would run the boats twelve months in the year it would be radically different from the “lakers agreement” We all meeting the board room, crew and management and they asked us what we would consider a fair system. We were to go to our hotel and consider what we had in mind and come back next morning and show it to them. There were wide differences and after many hours we managed to get a base to start. I was asked to write it and spent well into the wee hours trying to cover all aspects of what was I thought to be presented to management. I let them see what I had complied at breakfast before the meeting. Again the group asked me to be the spokesman. I agreed only on the condition that if the management brought p something that was radically out of the question. Anyone would ask for a time out and we would go and discuss it and not be like an Irish Parliament where everyone talks at once. All agreed this was the best tactic.
When we all gathered again in the board room I told the management that I was to present our proposals and the HR guy gave a look that said I somehow thought that you would be lead spokesman!
They listened to what I had to say and with a few clarifications decided they would think it over and get back to us and after a coffee and Danish they came back and we listened to what they thought. I never had been a sort of negotiator before but with a few back and fro breaks we finally agreed and I requested that it be written up by one of the secretaries and copies signed by both parties.
The month of June I spent on the Ralph Misener relieving Capt Smoky who was the senior captain who went on leave. I did not care too much for how things went as I would have had a few changes but just tolerated it for the time I was there. I was due vacation and went home for a couple of weeks before I was again on to a new adventure.

Unread post by Guest »

Great stories Capt always looking forward to the next one!
Lakercapt

During the month of January I attended the MED course in Port Colbourne which was later to become mandatory for all crew members. It was very cold to be hauling hoses about and distinguishing fires and doing life boat launching. The fire fighting course was only a shadow of the one I had completed some years before in Edinburgh but a good refresher.
In February went to Toronto airport to pick three other captains that had been chosen for the newbuilds and drove to St.Catharines for meeting with office staff. Had photographs taken for publicity hand outs.
I March went down to New York and did a Marine Safety course. Did not think much of it as the simulator broke down a couple of times and it as images projected on to a screen in front of the bridge windows and all in black and white. It was supposed to have some sections of the “Seaway” that were difficult at navigate and sow the best way to do so. There was a retired captain of Miseners as an adviser to answer any questions. I in all honesty did not gain anything from it.
The annual winter meetings were being held in Niagara On The Lake coincidently at the same time as Algoma was holding their meetings. On the evening of the formal dinner and dance I was handed an envelope from the new HR man as the person that I had dealt with before was no longer employed by them. When I read the contents of the envelope I just about went ballistic. This was the letter of employment that I was asked to sign. It stated that I was to be employed as Master, relief Master, Mate or relieving mate at a very different salary than the one I had been given before. I read this with disgust and approached the HR man and asked him for a little of his time. I handed him back the letter he had given me and told him that that was not my letter of employment as I already had one and showed him the original offer. He went ashen and asked if he could show this to the president of the company. I told him no but I would supply him with a copy (I did not trust that the original might get “lost”) my mommy did not have fools for children. Shortly I was asked that I meet with the President, David to discuss the impasse. I reiterated my position that I did not leave a permanent position as master to join them for a lesser position and less salary and vacation etc. And insisted that I receive the original offer or I would sit at home and have the courts decide which contract that was valid. I was not willing to accept anything less. I was so outraged that I went to where Algoma was having their meeting but alas they had finished and there was no one I could speak to and beg for my job back. Later I was told that I had been given to wrong contract and my original was the one they had accepted. (I am not certain but I think they had sought legal advice).
At the start of the 1983 season I had to ride on a couple to their boats up and down the “Seaway” as I did not have sufficient transits to get my pilotage exemption. One of the boats I was on was the “John A. France” which was a typical steam powered Laker and I was very impressed with the engine room as it was immaculate with the brass work gleaming and the floor plates shining. It was also a new experience for me to take a full sized boat with the pilothouse for’d into the lock. As we were approaching the fender (the steel cable stretched across the locks so that a boat would not hit the lock gates. This was on a hydraulic ram and worked on the same principle as the ones on an aircraft carrier where the arrester wires catching a plane landing). The wheelsman operated a little winch the hoisted the spearpole up so it would not foul the fender boom when it was lifting it after the boat was secured in the lock.
When I had completed the required number of trips I was to join the “Silver Isle” with the shore captain who was going the check me out. Did it all with the help I must admit the knowledgeable wheeelsmen who kept me right.
We got off in Montreal and he said I had passed but asked why I did not use the bow thruster at any time during the transit. I told him that it was too underpowered at 300 HP to be of much use. That was an unusual boat in that when you went astern the transverse thrust caused the bow to swing to port where the usual was to swing to starboard. The engine turned the opposite way to nearly all other boats I had been on.
Lakercapt

Although we were transiting theWelland canal on a regular basis (That season I logged 26 transits, on occasion downdound and up bound in the same 24 hr period) I saw my wife on many occasions and it was a purely platonic relationship as I was in the pilot house unable to leave it.
When I had vacation during the month of July I saw an advertisement in one of the national newspapers from another lake company. They were looking for captains for three ships that were being built in Scotland. The masters had to have a foreign going master’s certificate and experience in that position. They also had to have been master on a lakes boat. I was curious and dropped them a line to find out more information as although I was happy doing what I was doing I never close to doors to other opportunities. Was surprised to receive a call inviting me to visit their offices in St.Catharines to talk about their project. I saw the HR guy and told him right off that I was happy where I was presently employed. He went n at great lengths about this new venture for the company as it was intended to trade the three new builds on the “lakes”” during the season and overseas in the winter. That was why they needed captains with outside knowledge and “lakes” knowledge. I it would appear I was the type of person they were looking for.
Back to the “Rail” to continue the usual routine. Most of the crew were regulars and when one deck hand did not return after his vacation I asked the office lady in charge of organising reliefs if she had heard from him. She reported that she was unable to contact him which I thought somewhat strange. It was several weeks later he was found in the canal chained to his pride and join an old Cadillac. It was found out that his long time girl friend had walked out on him and he was distraught and depressed to the extent he committed suicide. Very sad. It was not unusual for stolen cars to be driven into the canal especially below lock #1 and you would discover that one was there when riding the wall the boat would pop off. Many flatted cars were hauled out there and surprised owners of the stolen vehicles could see their pride and joy a flattened rusty wreck. At least they got conclusion!
On a trip into Midland I was told m wife was on the dock so I jumped down and hauled the punt to the shore to ferry her across. These were the days before cell phones where texting and calling p ever few minutes was the norm so it was a pleasant surprise. I just got ashore when this guy approached me and introduced himself as shore captain for the company that I had responded to the newspaper advertisement, and he would like to have a talk with me. Could have seen him far enough as my wife was upset that our time together would be intruded with this guy. Enough of these platonic visits!! I talked to him for about an hour and not being too rude excused him. He wanted to know more about my time outside and on the lakes and what types etc. This was totally unexpected from my part. But a week or so later I was offered a job sailing on one of these boats getting built in Govan. I replied asking them to put in writing the conditions of employment, Salary, leave, pension plan etc. And consider it. He was not long in sending a reply with all the details plus some that were to be negotiated. A copy was there for me if I accepted the offer.
Lakercapt

After joining for fit out I was very pleased to see my old friend from my time on A.C. Crosbie as chief engineer. He had just obtained his landed immigrant status and I advised him to contact Algoma and he had just been just appointed to the Rail.
As I mentioned earlier I lost my diaries for this year so I can only remember some of the adventures we had. One I will never forget was a trip up to the metropolis of Zilwaukee. When we finished discharge there had been fresh Sly winds which blow the water out of the Saginaw bay so there was a fairly strong current flowing down the river. For some reason the tug that was usually available was not there so I tried turning at the usual place but it was not going to happen. The decision now was to wait till the current eased or try and back down the river. It was daylight and I opted to back down the river which I had not done here before. With a mate on port side and another on the starboard side of we set at a slow rate I might add. The wheelsman who had nothing to do kept supplying me with coffee. It was not an experience I would like to do often but we managed going through the bridge draws and round the bends. I hoped that the current would have eased by the time we got to Essexville but it had not so onwards out to the Bay before we could turn round. It was fortunate too in that there were no other boats berthed in the river. My problem was with all that coffee I needed to have a piddle so the wheelsman came to the rescue with a bucket.
On to Badgely Island to load quartz for Midland and a visit to Goderich to load for Toronto. It was night when we arrived and they wanted the salt discharged on the other side of the Cherry street bridge so again it was going to be simpler to back into the berth. Called the bridge master and ask him to open and he said I will when you are nearer. I told him to have a good look out the window as we were right there. He opened up smartly as the stern was rather close. In the morning we could see the skyline of Toronto as we headed for Picton for a load of clinker for Essexville. When I said previously that these were busy boats I meant it. After there it was back to Badgely Island for quartz for Midland. This was before the bucket elevator was changed from metal to rubber and just in case there was any residue of clinker left in them as extra 100 tons was loaded. Going down the Bay we would swing out the boom and run this extra tonnage through the system to make sure it was cleaned out. The quartz was crushed to make glass and any residue of clinker would contaminate it
Lakercapt

After the laying up of the Algorail it was time for some for R & R. It did not happen as I had a honey do list two fathoms long as we had to make our new house into a home. The builders were a large company and it was low on their list of obligations to fix the many defects that you get in a new build. Most trades are on a contract and finish the job as quickly as possible. I also had a list and I was round at their site office hounding them to complete the house. As I said they were a big company and it was only as the years went by that the shoddy workmanship and quality of the fittings proved to be of inferior quality. As an example the furnace when needed a repair the technician looked at it and said that was out of production for years. The builders had purchased all the old stock and put them in the new builds. We had to replace it after a few years as well as the doors and windows. They went bankrupt and we were happy at that as they could no more con gullible buyers
In March the company had their winter meetings and this time we were welcomed by the other captains and chief engineers as I had met many of them during the last season. On the last evening they had the usual formal dinner and dance and it was requested that uniform be worn. I don’t like this as if I worked for the local transit authority would that uniform be considered formal? Don’t think so. Instead I wore a full Scottish formal dress, kilt Montrose doublet, sporran, hose and skein Dhu etc. It caused somewhat of a stir. Why is that here is always some ignorant person ask what is worn under the kilt. In the Scottish Army regiments the answer is nothing as it’s all in working order. One “lady” asked if she could put her hand under the kilt and find out and I replied yes as long as I can do the same to you! There was a story about an American lady tourist visiting Edinburgh castle and approached a soldier and ask him if she could solve a problem about what was wore under the kilt. He said to put your hand under and find out. She did and said it’s gruesome. His reply was put your hand under again and you will find it’s grew some more! I don’t know if that is true!!
At the meeting I was told that I was to be appointed as permanent master on the Algorail. That was a surprise as I had thought I would be going back to the E.B.Barber but Steve was appointed to her. As the Rail was still getting work done to her I and another master went round boats that were fitting out and gave demonstrations on the inflatable life raft which was before the introduction of the M.E.D. course that were all had to take later on.
I joined and fitted out In mid April and alas have been unable to find my diary for 1982 so some of the adventures etc. Will be what my fallible memory can come up with
Lakercapt

Guestcapt wrote:Street bridges are controlled locally by the bridge operator, but quite often the rail bridges are controlled by by the rail dispatchers as far away as Florida. There is an operator on the rail bridge, but he can only open the bridge when the rail dispatcher permits him.
Thanks for that explanation as I knew it was remote from the bridge and they did not understand the conditions
Lakercapt

Confucius he said that small pencil and piece of paper better than longest memory.
After much searching I found my diary for 1981 and there are a few omissions and happening I would like to add plus add some places that I visited for the first time.
On the E.B.Barber there were places I did not know of like Drummond Island, Buffington,Astabula.
Rail, Meldrum Bay, Parry Sound, Calcite
Algosea, Port Aux Basque, Come By Chance in Newfoundland.
When we were secured in PAB they wanted the salt next to the car parking for the ferry and we swung the boom out but there were cars parked close by so over the ferry terminals loud speakers they were asked to move them several times. We were a big attraction as there never had been a boat like that there before. No movement so I told the mate o start up and give a small shot. When they saw that there was rapid movement. Discharged and went to Come By Chance (hey have some wonderful names for places in Newfound land.) The refinery was not operating but there a tiny wharf for us to tie up to and an area where we could put the salt.
A major thing in our life was we moved house again to the place we called home for over 21 years.
A sad ending to the season as we were crossing Lake St. Clare I got a call that the 3rd engineer had collapsed in the engine room. I hurried aft and found him lying out the floor plates in a bad way. Had the mate in the pilothouse, call the US Coast Guard with the request for assistance. They had a team on board at Bellle Island and transported him ashore to hospital where he alas he died.
Guestcapt

Unread post by Guestcapt »

Street bridges are controlled locally by the bridge operator, but quite often the rail bridges are controlled by by the rail dispatchers as far away as Florida. There is an operator on the rail bridge, but he can only open the bridge when the rail dispatcher permits him.
Rob

Unread post by Rob »

Captain,
I don't understand the part about the bridge being controlled from hundreds of miles away. If it is, why is there a bridge keeper at all? Can you clarify?
Thanks.
Lakercapt

I left the Barber in the Soo and flew home for a day on route to join the Algorail in Welland Canal and it was getting late in the season so all were demanding more road salt (In our area we are not allowed the use of salt on the roads as most homes are on wells and they don’t want to contaminate the aquifer). We loaded stone in Port Colborne for a place I had never heard of (there were many of them when I started) called Zilwaukee. Sorry citizens of that place but someone had sense of humour when naming it. Fortunately for me the mates and wheelsmen had been there before so I had ample help to assist me. It’s right up the river Saginaw going up there through the many bridges you have to be going slow. That's because you have very little clearance as the river level rises and falls due to the wind direction. At that time the interstate highway #75 was a draw bridge as the overpass had not been completed and my ears must have been burning with all those delayed motorists watching the boat inching its way through and delaying them. After discharge we were able to turn round by nosing the bow into the bank and using the engine to head out. Many times the current is too strong and you need tugboat assistance if it is available. We were off to Goderich to load salt for a dock up the Calumet River. I had been there on a “saltie” so remembered that involved many bridges. Navigation law is that the bridge must open when called for by a boat but it does not often work like that. The bridge keeper cannot open it as the main control is located hundreds of miles away at many a time we have had to call the US Coast Guard for help. We did not have any serious delays this time going in and coming out but I was always glad to see it over the stern. On to another new place. Meldrum Bay to load stone, for some place down the river from Sarnia which again was a punt job and involved turning in the river. It was usual when in the vicinity to stop at the fuel dock and bunker. The Rail had four engines and when we were doing the run from Detroit river light upbound shut one engine down so you would not have to concern yourself about breaking the speed limit and incurring a fine. Back to Goderich for another load of salt for Hamilton. These “River” class boats were kept busy that’s for sure as it was Picton to load clinker for Essexville. There were plans to do lots of steel work in the winter so we ended the season early and tied up in Port Colborne of the conclusion of the 1981 season on 12th December.
Lakercapt

It was back to work again and on to the E.B. Barber which had become an old friend. The trips were as before but one I particularly remember was a cargo up the Kam River at Thunder Bay with a cargo of limestone. I had never been there before nor any of the other crew members. There was a paper plant there and the used the stone in the production of paper from logs. Took it very slowly up the river and had no delay as the bridge opened on my signal. It turned out to be a punt job and after we secured a guy on the dock indicated that we were to discharge the cargo on top of a pile of stone already there. As it was miles from anywhere no crew member bothered going ashore. When we completed ad sailed down river at the bridge it could not open as with a slight snow fall it had frozen a locking pin. Had to wait until help was brought in to help. Just stuck the bow in the bank until t was opened.
Next morning got a call from the office asking how things went up the river. Other than the bridge delay I told then no problem. It was then they informed me as we had buried three trucks under the stone which had been parker on the other side of the pile which of course we could not see!!.
Another scary time was when we were going up towards the Blue Water Bridge in Sarnia where the current was very strong and we always slow clearing the channel Jack the chief engineer who had been on her for what seemed like forever called up and said he had a problem with one of the two boilers and had to take one off line for quick repairs. That slowed us done further and it took, what seemed like forever to clear the channel. Fortunately there was no other traffic as we would have delayed them as at that part of the river its only one way traffic.
Lakercapt

I had a couple of weeks at home and was disappointed that my application for citizenship had been turned down though my wife and children were accepted. On the application form it asks if you had been out of the country during any period and I answered truthfully I had because of my job so I did not meet the residence requirements. Nor would I ever doing this job. I called Revenue Canada and said as I was not a resident I should not be paying taxes. They asked where my residence was and I told them. The response was the tax laws were different from the citizenship laws so I had to pay taxes. I wrote to the Minister in charge of citizenship and explained my situation. I in the mean time attended the ceremony when my wife and children became citizens. Eventually I received a response from the Minister and had an interview with a citizenship judge. I told him that a Canadian ship was Canadian sovereign soil and should one of my crew have a child born on board they would be Canadian regardless of the nationality of the mother. I also mentioned if we loaded a cargo in Thunder Bay for Montreal we would be in and out of Canadian waters many times. He agreed with me and recommended I be granted citizenship and later I was to attend a private ceremony and be given my citizenship.
Lakercapt

Guest wrote:Capt. we always went home after we unloaded in Sydney and joined the ship again in little narrows, it was no different then the crew that lived in the canal that went home to see their families,I see no harm in that at all, the tunnel men are day workers and almost every time that we went to visit our children it was after 5 o'clock and if it wasn't we had an arrangement with the chief to make up any time that was lost due to our absence.you said yourself the crew went home in the canal what's the difference it's the same thing in Montreal crew that live there go home to see their families as well,everyone on board understands and it's not hard to get a crew member to cover a watch for you,as long as you do the same for him when ur in his home port.people are away from their families long enough over the season and when you get a chance to see them most everyone will do just about anything
Thank you for clarifying that as I was not aware of those arrangements but you know how things were when I joined.

Unread post by Guest »

Capt. we always went home after we unloaded in Sydney and joined the ship again in little narrows, it was no different then the crew that lived in the canal that went home to see their families,I see no harm in that at all, the tunnel men are day workers and almost every time that we went to visit our children it was after 5 o'clock and if it wasn't we had an arrangement with the chief to make up any time that was lost due to our absence.you said yourself the crew went home in the canal what's the difference it's the same thing in Montreal crew that live there go home to see their families as well,everyone on board understands and it's not hard to get a crew member to cover a watch for you,as long as you do the same for him when ur in his home port.people are away from their families long enough over the season and when you get a chance to see them most everyone will do just about anything