My starting to be a sailor

Discussion board focusing on Great Lakes Shipping Question & Answer. From beginner to expert all posts are welcome.
Ben

Re: My starting to be a sailor

Unread post by Ben »

What a sad story of being bumped off a ship ya knew every second of her life an the nasty car accident capt how did the s.i feel after being on the Pioneer
Lakercapt

Unread post by Lakercapt »

A small health concern so I will get back with the rest of my tales in a cople of days.
Lakercapt

I caught the first flight out and arrived home in the morning and drove down to Sunnybrook Hospital in Toronto where our daughter had been transferred to the surgical unit from our local hospital. When I saw my beautiful daughter I wept copious tears as it was difficult to relate this face that was just a mass of cuts and bruises. The surgeon who was attending her was a lady I have a great deal of admiration for, Dr. Susan McKinnon, who was very well respected person in her field (she and her husband later moved to the US to continue research) She hugged me and told me I would have my beautiful daughter back again.
I asked what had happened.

Our daughter had graduated from University in the spring and had started her career as a teacher. She was driving home from a teaching assignment in her brand new car when she was t-boned at an intersection by an ambulance that ran a red light. This ambulance was not on duty but driving home to their depot and did not have its flashing lights or siren on. I instigated an accident re-enactment and found out the ambulance was exceeding the speed limit (all ambulances have a taco graph that records all important information) As there were three persons in the ambulance and they were overheard in the primary care hospital to say “remember we all have to keep our stories straight”. I in consultation with lawyers and family started a law suit. Alas in Ontario ambulances are operated by the provincial government in the name of the Queen. We would now be fighting a party with unlimited financial recourses and every action by us brought forth additional questions and eventually we had to abandon this suit as it could have bankrupted us. In between time our daughter had undergone extensive surgery and alas the left eye had to be amputated She was very brave throughout this, although my wife and I, as well as her fiancé were basket cases. When things settled down a bit I had to return to sailing. I was not happy to find out then I would not be returning to the S.P. but joining the S.I.in the canal. She was headed to Thunder Bay and I remembered her from when I first joined this company and getting my required Seaway trips in. When we were in T.B. the S.P. was there and I went across and collected the personal effects I had left. I did not thankfully see captain D. (he had pulled seniority on me) but the crew were happy to see me and assisted in carrying my effects to the taxi. I was saddened by this leaving my pride and joy but life had to go on. We completed loading and headed down the lakes as a regular trip. The incident of note was when we were at the Detroit River light it was reported to me that one of the deck hands was sick and I thought, on seeing him he was having a heart attack and requested help. A US coast guard helicopter evacuated him to hospital ashore where he was treated. Our orders were changed and now the cargo was to be discharged at three places. The first stop was St.Catharines wharf in the south shore canal. This was during the Mohawk unrest and Canadian troops were stationed round the boat. Going done the canal we were instructed to stay inside the wheelhouse as we were stoned going past the reserve and kids with slingshots firing ball bearing at us. Several persons were observed carrying firearms but they did not shoot at us. Part cargo was discharged in Montreal and the balance in Quebec City. It was then on to Pointe Noir to load iron ore for Cleveland. Going up the south shore canal was a bit scary as the locals were still barricading the bridges and all the bank lighting was off. Was glad to be clear of that place.
Cleveland discharging ore was a new experience for me as those magnificent machines, Hulletts, were to unload. I was fascinated by this unique concept which was very old. The operators sat in the bucket and went down into the holds and closed the bucket and rose up to dump the ore into a hopper. It was a job I would not have fancied. It was a speedy discharge and I was to go there a few more time before they were decommissioned as the machinery was prone to breakdowns. It had just reached the end of its time!
We proceeded to Sarnia to load and again I was relieved as our daughter was to be discharged from hospital. I was now on my scheduled leave.
Pete in Holland MI

Unread post by Pete in Holland MI »

Dam#%#&#^@@ it !

Just like a good TV show where a critical clue is to be exposed, and the announcer comes on saying "stay tuned for scenes from part 2" !
Lakercapt

When we arrived it was part of the normal practice in Italy to “Noted Protest”, as a precaution should there be any damaged cargo. The agent would arrange for me to attend a court and swear that we had encountered heavy weather to get here. The main thing was I was to take two cartons of American cigarettes for the judge. These were handed to his clerk before I was to appear. All the documents and proceedings were in Italian so I really did not understand what was going on! This was the way things worked in Italy and one our head office was against. I am certain if these rituals were not complied with life for me could be made unpleasant. The next port confirmed it.

After a few days discharging I was asked to sail to the next port, La Spezia, but I refused. They were upset until I explained there were too many slack holds, i.e. holds which only some of the cargo had unloaded. This would have us contravene the grain regulations and made it dangerous for us. If we were to encounter any bad weather the grain may shift causing the boat to list further and further and might end up turning over. It was decided to complete the discharge of three holds and then sail to the next port. It was just another place with local officials looking for their hand outs. One which was new to me was the garbage collector. As we incinerated our garbage I did not need their services. This upset there lives and they purposely moored the garbage scow so we were unable to sail without them removing it. A delay whilst this was sorted out just to show their displeasure. I was glad to sail from there. We had not received any other loading instructions so I was told to go at economical speed to Gibraltar for orders. It did not look promising as we now were no longer in the Unitramp pool as this company had been instrumental for arranging most of the west bound cargo. Gibraltar and nothing fixed so we carried on across the Atlantic in ballast. There was ample opportunity for us to exchange ballast and flush the tanks out. I had done this as a normal practice before it became mandatory for all vessels going to the Great Lakes. Arriving off the coast of Newfoundland it was foggy (what else) and numerous fishing boats at the “tale of the banks” made life interesting. Eventually we received orders to go to Pointe Noir. All the way from Italy to load ire ore a “Laker” could have loaded!!

On the first day of summer we arrived and anchored in Sept Iles bay and would not have expected it but there were snow flurries. The Indian crew was fascinated. My comment welcome to Canadian summer. We were there for five days before going alongside to load. I received a telex to inform me I was to be relieved in the “Canal” by captain D. which was a big surprise as I was not due for vacation. We departed on June 27th when I received a call that my daughter had been involved in a car crash and she was badly injured. Captain D. was going to join at Escoumains (He lived close by) and I was to get off in Quebec City and fly home. I was very upset and my wife was distraught. Needless to say but sleep was impossible and I busied myself in squaring up the ships accounts and packing. Next day I got off in the pilot boat and headed to the airport and flew home.
At this time I did not know that my days sailing "MY BOAT" were over.
Lakercapt

In the beginning of May I flew to Duluth and discovered the boat was at anchor so stayed in the Radisson Hotel. I could have been home for an extra two days and saved the expense. So much for limiting unnecessary expenses. We were to load a full cargo on Amber Durham wheat and started to load on the Thursday and also Friday but as no weekend work out to anchor to save on berthing fees. I opted to anchor in the inner harbour so we could have the boat down for anyone who wished to go uptown. During the time there an engineer decided to pump out the engine room bilges bypassing the oily water separator. A small amount of oil was on the water and we quickly got the boat out with disperser and treated it. I had to notify the US Coast Guard but by the time they arrived it was all cleaned up and they were very pleasant. Back alongside for finishing loading but when it was time to sail the wind was too strong so we sailed the next day, Tuesday. Arriving at the check in point for the Welland Canal we had to anchor as we were number five in turn. When the anchor was aweigh it had a massive tangle of old wire wrapped round it. We could not transit with this mess and alas I was required to go for’d and show the crew how to clear it. Cable cutters and a big hammer did the job with me swinging the big hammer. We loaded the usual stores in the “canal” but surprisingly no office visitors. We did get mail and I was very pleasantly surprised when the Indian officers presented me with a full outfit of Indian traditional clothes. They had secretly got my measurements and had it tailored in Indian. It really was a very good silk suit I think called in the Nehru style. Several years later I was invited to my daughter’s friend’s wedding. She was first generation immigrant of Indian parents. My wife wore a sari and I this suit. The Indian guests were impressed we had gone to the wedding in traditional clothing and we got many praises.
Bunkers we taken at Montreal, then a stop at Quebec City to load two holds of the same kind of wheat. If you looked at the two kinds of wheat there was a very noticeable difference. I guess the grading in the US and Canada was done to completely different standards. The C.M. was in dry dock there to get major repairs as another ship had rammed her stern when she was leading a bunch of ships through the ice. This was my fear when I happened to do a similar ice passage. The Indian crew were now there and a big delegation from the Canadian Sailors Union to protest the changing of crews and the loss of jobs.
It was while we were on passage that we finally got the discharge ports. The cargo was for two ports, Savona and Le Spezia. I had not been to the latter port but the first was I had visited many times. When the weather was pleasant the engineers began work on the windlass but did not have the tools to complete the work. It was a job for the shore gang when we got to Italy.
Passing through the Straits of Gibraltar was busy. We hoped for an improvement in the weather as most of the voyage across the Atlantic had been on the cool side. Unfortunately it did not happen and to crown matters a strong Mistral was blowing going across the Gulf of Lyons. Again the discharge ports were changed and the first port was Vada. I upset the pilot by turning round and backing into the berth but when tied up he thought it was a great maneuver. Not much of a place and it took only a few hours before sailed to Savona which was about ten miles away. The port time in Savona was extended as with the weekend and no one wished to pay the overtime to work cargo. The pilot and I had a long chat about the “Tourmaline” running aground many years ago as he remembered it well. Was quite a big thing at the time and he was surprised when I told him I had been on this ship but was on vacation when the incident occurred.
Lakercapt

Ex-Sask Pi cadet wrote:
Lakercapt wrote: The large nylon line to the shore buoy had been just thrown off the bollards and a kink was caught up in the Panama lead. I had to leave the wheel house and with my walkie talkie told the CEO what you do with the engine and steering. Got it cleared and expressed my discontent to the mate for his lack of seamanship.
Not to be the only time you'd have to leave the bridge because of a lack of seamanship on the part of the Indian Mates that year. I recall us being at anchor for a little while off CIP-16, waiting our turn to go down the canal. I was off watch at the time but noted we were going around in circles. Upon looking out from my cabin I saw you heading forward. I thought I should probably head forward to see what was up & join in whatever was going on. The Second Mate, Bosun & a deck hand made up the anchor party. The anchor had come up fouled with an old mooring wire that a laker had dumped by the board at some point. They were apparently confused about how to clear the tangled mess. By the time I reached the fo'csle you were already swinging a sledge to cut the wire with them just looking on.
Yes I remember it well Mike, Are you ejoying my Tales?
Ex-Sask Pi cadet

Unread post by Ex-Sask Pi cadet »

Lakercapt wrote: The large nylon line to the shore buoy had been just thrown off the bollards and a kink was caught up in the Panama lead. I had to leave the wheel house and with my walkie talkie told the CEO what you do with the engine and steering. Got it cleared and expressed my discontent to the mate for his lack of seamanship.
Not to be the only time you'd have to leave the bridge because of a lack of seamanship on the part of the Indian Mates that year. I recall us being at anchor for a little while off CIP-16, waiting our turn to go down the canal. I was off watch at the time but noted we were going around in circles. Upon looking out from my cabin I saw you heading forward. I thought I should probably head forward to see what was up & join in whatever was going on. The Second Mate, Bosun & a deck hand made up the anchor party. The anchor had come up fouled with an old mooring wire that a laker had dumped by the board at some point. They were apparently confused about how to clear the tangled mess. By the time I reached the fo'csle you were already swinging a sledge to cut the wire with them just looking on.
Lakercapt

The trip to Rouen was uneventful in that there were no mishaps and as it was fairly short I spent most of the time on the bridge. We berthed at lay by as the cargo was not ready but this gave us time to get repairs done which had not been completed in Rotterdam. The holds were finally readied for loading. When we shifted to the loading berth the bow thruster had problems and it seems that every time we move it’s an adventure. I was pleased to hear my relief was coming here as initially he was on board S.S and they were stuck in ice in the St.Lawrence. I was pleased it was slow loading as it gave time for Captain M to get here as I felt I needed time off. The weather was very miserable with strong winds and heavy rain causing flooding locally and with the slow loading it was an extended port stay. This cargo was again destined for Casablanca which was not on my list of places I wished to see again. I eventually got off after handing over to the other Captain and headed out to the airport to catch a connecting flight at Gatwick airport in London. It was a small 12 passenger plane and it was touch and go until the last minute whither we would go or not. The pilot decided at the last minute to try and to say it was a very bumpy flight was not a real description and I was somewhat concerned at times and glad when we touched down. The flight to Toronto was a typical one and I arrived home on March 1st.
Alas it was a sad and happy moment as my wife had to put down my beloved American Cocker Spaniel, Amber. She had developed diabetes and was very sick. She was the dog, which got so excited on my coming home we had to be reunited outside as she piddled so much. Anyone that has had a dog knows this sad feeling on their departure and I was really upset. It was our children who said to my wife, “How is it that all our dogs are our dogs until Dad comes home and we are deserted? “ It was great to be home again for all that.
I had a trip down to St.Catharines for the debriefing. My misfortunes followed me as when we were altogether in the board room the fire alarm went off and the building had to be evacuated. The meeting carried on in a local restaurant. For a change the group were pleased at the way the time I had spent on board had gone.
When I was on vacation the boat docked in Hamilton and I went down to see what was going on. I also arranged for next day to take some of the crew to see Niagara Falls. It was well received as I took them for a tour round this tourist area. I was home one afternoon when I received a surprise visit from the HR guy, L.J. there were going to be changes as the C.M. was to have an all Indian crew including the master and chief engineer. This was a surprise and I could see the writing on the wall for the other two Govan boats.
Lakercapt

The new crew were settling in and it was not without its problems as I had to go through the whole learning process again. A new ship has many things you must know about but I was not facing the same situation as I did not have the language difficulties. The new crew were eager to learn but I did not have sufficient time before the Bay of Biscay was on us. This Bay is notorious in the seafaring lore for its bad weather. Although I have had some passages across it when it was smooth sailing this one was going to be one these guys would remember. The first indication a storm was coming, (the weather forecast was spot on), was the big swell. I knew the bending of the boat would look scary to them and it moved about, pitching and rolling like crazy. It is difficult to describe to someone that had never experienced this amount of movement. Usually ocean going vessels have a ratio on length to beam of seven or eight. We were ten. (The beam divided into the length).If you have an old saw and hold the handle and then the tip and bend it you get an idea what I mean.
The sea came next and they continued to build with heavy water coming on board. The night as bad but as they did not see it was not a worry. Next morning a number came on the bridge looking rather pale. I decided to heave too so we might have a look round the decks to ensure all was well but the first mate was scared and did not wish to do it. I donned my heavy weather gear and collected the walkie talkie and instructed the third mate to listen and keep a constant watch on the deck party. I asked the C/E to help too by seeing we were safe. We went on deck keeping one eye on the seas and found the starboard gangway damaged and the decks and all the little corners where spilled cargo lodged swept clean. The hatch covers I pressed up using the hydraulics. (In conditions like this they had a tendency to creep open.) Next into the forecastle and check no water had got in through the mooring leads. There was water everywhere as the ventilator on the forecastle had been sheared off. It must have occurred during the night as it had been OK before dark. The bow thruster shaft was full of water and the access to the chain locker. We got them pumped out after clearing the suction. With no one knowing the system I was delegated to get wet and clearing the strum box. The forward life raft was hanging on by its mooring/release line and there was no way to bring it back on board. Cut it loose and I assume it would float till it reached the French coast. Back in safety with a very relieved bunch I slowly resumed passage but allowing for the weather no a direct course. A couple of days later with the weather moderating we arrived in Casablanca. It was tricky going through the breakwaters as the heavy swell was rolling in across the Atlantic. There were no surprises with the officials with their hands out. I heard that a fellow I had as first mate many years ago was in port. A get together with him and the C/E and the consensus was we would have a traditional Moroccan meal. Lots of liquid libration and do you remember when made for a pleasant evening. He heavy swell was now affecting the inner harbour and all the ships were ordered out of port for safety. I was not convinced this was an option for us as we had by now many slack holds and the prospect of rolling like crazy outside might cause the cargo to shift. As were moving about on the wharf but with automatic winches keeping us alongside with no problem we got permission to stay. It was not possible to work cargo so our port stay was extended. I was lucky to avert a major catastrophe as the mate and third mate started to ballast #4 cargo hold without opening the vents or access hatches. The next cargo was one from a place I had never heard of called Port????. To call this a port was a massive stretch of the imagination. A few broken down dolphins and mooring buoys. It was open to the Atlantic so swells were rolling in. It was an extended securing process as we were not to contact the dolphins which were falling down. The shore officials boarded, being lowered in a box from the long loading boom. It was typical as although we had come from another Moroccan port customs etc all required their little gifts! Loading was fairly quick and on the second day completed. There were no plots which was fine by me but on departing there was a foul up casting off aft. The large nylon line to the shore buoy had been just thrown off the bollards and a kink was caught up in the Panama lead. I had to leave the wheel house and with my walkie talkie told the CEO what you do with the engine and steering. Got it cleared and expressed my discontent to the mate for his lack of seamanship. The trip to Rotterdam was again in rough weather and many uncomfortable days and nights which seemed to be the norm for us.
The place we moored in Rotterdam was on buoys in the middle of Botlek which is in the middle of nowhere but allowed the floating cranes to tie up on each side. Discharge was speedy and when I got up in the morning we were flying high as no ballast was put in during the night. Where did these mates get their training??? Repair gangs descended on us and to fix the storm damage and the McGregor hatch I mentioned earlier. A surprise for me was a safety audit to be done by a representative of the manning agency. He found plenty items wrong which were mainly minor. When I commented on the biggest safety problem in the untrained crews this went done like a lead balloon. During discharge the stevedores had torn off the bilge covers (these were round steel perforated discs about 18” across and heavy) and refused to accept responsibility. Another battled but I got the repair squad to fabricate new ones and send to our next port whish again was to be Rouen
Lakercapt

Pete in Holland MI wrote:Hey Cap -

You mentioned several articles back that your ship went in for cleaning & painting of the hull. After sand blasting, it was noted many of the welds were in poor shape.

Were the welds updated, or just repainted & hope for the best ?

Just curious...

Pete
No Pete
the suspect welds were all gouged out and new welds done. The reason they were in poor shape was the paint had failed and the sacrificial annodes had fallen off or were finished.
Pete in Holland MI

Hey Cap -

You mentioned several articles back that your ship went in for cleaning & painting of the hull. After sand blasting, it was noted many of the welds were in poor shape.

Were the welds updated, or just repainted & hope for the best ?

Just curious......

Pete
Lakercapt

The year 1990 was a year with significant happenings to me and family but I well get to these events later as I will carry on chronologically.
On January 1st I had all the crew in the officers’ saloon to celebrate the New Year with a slap up Chinese meal. Although the weather was typical North Atlantic winter it eased off for the meal. The catering staff did a first class job and even if I did not know what I was eating at times it tasted good. They, the Chinese crew, PRC and H.K. were in a happy frame of mind as they knew that soon it would be over and the prospect of going home gave them the “Channels” (this an old saying from my days on UK flagged vessels which means you get this great euphoric feeling knowing you were soon to be going home after a long voyage) What surprised me was the crew seemed to have gotten over being seasick.
On some of these crossings the other two boats would be in the Atlantic and many evenings we would have a chat on the 6 mgs wave band. The same problems we had they too were encountering and crew changes for them were imminent. The crewing company had decided the experiment with the Chinese crew was not a success (Ha Ha someone finally got the message I had been broadcasting for ages!!) The new crew were to be all from India. This made sense as now at least there would be no difficulty in communicating with them as most spoke some English. I had sailed a long time ago with Indian ratings so expected there would be an improvement in my life on board.
The orders for the next trip came through. It pleased me there was not to going to be another Atlantic crossing. A full cargo of wheat was to be loaded in France for Casablanca.
We arrived in Antwerp on 8th January and the crew were anxious to be on their way home but as was the norm unexpected delays occurred. All next day the guys were all packed and ready to go but a delay because of visa’s held up the replacements. It was 10th when the Bus can for the PRC crew and I was somewhat sad to see them go as I had formed a good working relationship with some of them during the course of the year. They were going back with a very different view of us capitalist running dogs and I am certain the tales they could relate were multitude. It was an hour later when the H.K. crew departed and I was saddened too as they turned out well latterly. The new crew were stuck at the airport with immigration as forms etc were not correct. Eventually they boarded and without time to acclimatize them as the E/R needed them right away. On deck too as we had some survey work to carry out. One of the representatives of the crew manning was on board helping with the pile of paperwork. The chief engineer and I gave him an earful and requested replacements for the 2/e and 2/m. Next day we had a surprise visit from two of the representative of the French company we were on charter to, Unitramp and the predictions for next season were not rosy with a cutback on steel cargos. One good thing was they took the C/E and I for a slap up lunch. The French are very civilized and the lunch break is about 2 hours. Afterwards you are so full you want to have a snooze. Heard the proposed 2/m who was appointed to ship had poor reputation and vetoed him. The new crew were still settling in and again the agency did not supply the cold weather gear for them and I was obliged to order it. My impression of them was that they would be unable to organize a party in a brewery. The crew thought the weather we were experiencing here in Antwerp was cold so it was going to be a big shock when we went to Canada.
17th January we finished discharging and set off for Rouen the loading port. The holds after the previous grain cargo did not require much cleaning which was just as well considering the new crew were not acquainted with the ship. The passage up to Rouen is very scenic passing through the pastoral countryside and the River Seine goes all the way to Paris and is winding with quite a few sharp turns. When I was inspecting #2 cargo hold, to see if I could find the cause of a small amount of cargo damage, which occurred on the way across. I found the cross section of the sealing channel bar had been distorted. This, I was told by the mate was the relieving captain, insisted a large baulk of timber be placed there This to assist in keeping the hatch covers from closing so the hold would dry out quicker. It had to be a temporary fix as it required a major repair. Had some difficulty telling the office about the repair which would be necessary and in the meantime devised a fix to see us through till repairs could be done. In between time the engine room cadet was very sick with asthma and had to be sent home. We competed loading cargo which was very dusty and I think the trigger for the cadet’s asthma and let go for with voyage. Only cleared the berth when the engine died. With the outgoing tide, aided by the bowthruster we managed to secure at another, thankfully free berth. Another batch of grey hairs!! It was fixed in a couple of hours and we resumed outwards.
Lakercapt

I don’t think I will relate the coming and goings for the rest of 1989 as it was the usual loading in the Lakehead, either Duluth or Thunder Bay for ports in Europe and Italy. Backhaul was the usual steel cargo and by now the crew were used to what was going on a looked forward to the extra cash in US $ for cleaning the holds. I believe they were richer than they had been before. Towards the end of the year it was turning very cold and the cold weather gear which had been chasing us for ages had been received and was necessary. We completed discharge in the south part of Michigan and headed to Thunder Bay to load our last cargo of the year. Ice was beginning to form and they crew were intrigued by this but they were in for more surprises later. We started loading a mixed cargo of grains on December 7th and went to a few berths to get the right grades. On 10th we got to our final loading Pool and the temperatures really plummeted. The crew were reluctant to come on deck as they had never experienced this sort of cold but I was essential they work. One of the main tasks was to apply a silicone paste to the steel parts of the coaming to ensure the rubber seals on the hatches did not stick. If this was not done properly when opening the rubber (they were actually a compound neoprene) would be pulled out and getting them back was a tough job. When we tied up there was clear water in the slip when I went to bed. Next morning the mate woke me up to help shift the ship. During the night it had got down to, -30C and with the strong winds ice had formed and was about 9” thick so I had to get the engines going to break the boat free. In the next slip a Cuban boat was loading and the captain told the agent when we sailed he was going too as he did not wish to spend the winter iced in. On 11th December we completed loading and ice was forming rapidly. The Cuban boat had finished and was to accompany us all the way down.
St. Mary’s river was day time navigation only but the pilot and I decided that as it was a clear night and ice was getting formed all the way down we would carry on. It was a bit tricky in parts but we cleared early next morning. At Port Huron we took two pilots as the J.W. Westcott had been withdrawn for the season. This is where we would normally have changed. There was some ice and the floating navigational aids had been replaced winter markers but it did not present a problem.
December 14th saw us entering the Welland Canal (I keep mentioning the dates to indicate the time it took to do this normal trip of five + days). We fueled and took on stores and cleared on the early hours next day. Two pilots were boarded at Lock #1 as the pilot boat at Cape Vincent had been withdrawn for the winter. December 15th and we anchored at the Prescott anchorage waiting our turn to go down through the system. Our friend the Cuban was close by. We were allotted turn #12 so it would be a little time to wait and in the meantime ice was forming rapidly. It was the 19th before we got going and we had been bumped to last in line by the seaway as we were ice classed. Thanks very much were my thought. Slow going was not the words as it was very very slow with the ships ahead of us having problems in the ice which was by now quite thick and heavy. Again we anchored waiting for things to start moving and on the 21st with the aid of the Pierre Radisson the Canadian icebreaker we managed to get clear of Beauharnais locks and anchored again. They closed these locks for the winter after we passed. The South Shore canal was blocked and the icebreaker went down to assist. The problem now was the broken ice was rafted many feet down and it was like floating on soup. 23rd saw us all day in the South Shore Canal and when we eventually got to Cote lock we could not get in. After each ship had gone through ice had been flushed through to allow the lock to be readied. Unfortunately for us each time the locks had been lowered and then filled another layer of ice had formed on the lock wall. It was now too many layers of ice and our breadth exceeded it. Now the Seaway was forced to bring in back hoes and scrape these layers off the concrete wall. It took time and then the ice had to be flushed out. It was late in the evening when we finally cleared the Seaway and the system closed of the winter. Now we had the distinction of having opening this part of the seaway and closing it. Later in the evening we secured in Montreal and starting to load the top up cargo.
On Christmas Eve we completed loading and the cargo trimmed by a bull dozer. Next was the bunkering and this finished in late afternoon and as there was now only daytime navigation we secured for the evening. Merry Christmas was started for many families with children at the time we departed at 6 o’clock in the morning but only as far as Three Rivers as visibility was too bad in snow and traffic halted. The crew did not mind as the catering staff had prepared a good dinner for all. I did my Santa Claus act with all the crew being given a present courtesy of the seaman’s mission. The PRC who were experiencing this for the first time were delighted. This added to the telling them they were going home when we arrived in Europe made it a festive time. We stopped again in Quebec City for fuel as at Montreal they were unable to supply diesel. Eventually we cleared the river on 28th December after this epic transit and started our trip Antwerp. New Years Eve was a quiet one as were all tired and celebrations had to wait. Thus ended a very stressful year.
Lakercapt

The first chance we got J.A. the C/E and I were down in the dock to do a haul and Kort Nozzle and propeller inspection. Was surprised to find there was hull damage at #7 starboards D.B. and there was no report of this happening. The paint job that was done two years prior in Thunder Bay was not standing up and the decision had been made to remove it and use a different product. The sand blasting of the hull from the load water line to the bottom had started and as a result the boat was covered from truck to keel in dust. Health and safety had a major job as this previous coating was lead based and disposal of the paint removed and the expended sand had to be carefully collected for disposal. Now for the ironic part. It was not allowed in any landfill in West Germany but was transported to East Germany (This was before the unification and the Berlin wall was still intact). There was a hundred jobs going on and I and C/E G. were required to be on the move at one site or another. In the meantime some brilliant person had decided to have a reception on board to show ships agencies and shipbrokers the versatility of the boat. I was not exactly thrilled about this as we were dirty and getting some semblance of order difficult. The officers dining saloon was converted to a large dining room and the wheelhouse a bar and reception area. The catering staff was asked to cook a Chinese meal as I did not trust any other type of cuisine. It was well received by the 23 guests from all accounts.
It was a surprise visit from H.H. the new vice president of operation in the office. (Another change!!) Now the old paint and rust had been removed it was obvious there was a serious problem of corrosion on the hull and even some welds. This had been caused by the lack of paint and the sacrificial anodes eating them away. A new ECO was on board to assist the other fellow who had replaced Tom. More and more welds were found nearly eaten away so it was decided to do more ex-rays of suspect welds. When we viewed these images it was rather frightening. When the hull was finished with the sand blasting next on the agenda was # 4 and # 7 cargo holds. These were also a ballast holds and the paint coatings there was in rough condition. While this was going on your gallant deck crew were involved in coating some of the wing ballast tanks with what was a new product to stop corrosion. It had been supplied in large drums with a special pump and pressure gauge which worked a spray gun. The idea was to spray all the upper wing tanks with this. I as you might have guessed was delegated to show them how it worked. It did for a little time and then gave up so I was told to wait until we could ballast these tanks. It was before the water reached the tank and was coming up the trunk then pour these remaining drums into the tank. The idea was to continue filling at a slow rate and the gunk would float and spread out and coat the surface of the tank. Sounded like a wonderful idea but it was essential the tank did not overflow as the gunk would end up spilling on to the deck then into the water thus causing pollution. I was amazed at all this great ideas and who would be implementing them!!. No prizes for guessing the right answer.
During our stay in Hamburg, which is a real sailor’s port, with many attractions and dozens of bars that cater for all sorts of tastes? The C/E and I were invited by the supervisor of the repairs for dinner. We elected for a seafood place and were taken to this very popular and expensive restaurant on the waterfront. The meal, service and surroundings were outstanding. I am a confirmed chocoholic and amazing dessert was served. It looked so good I did not want to eat it but was forced to by the others! Next evening we were taken out for dinner again but this time by the paint rep. This was the5th time since docking and I could get used to this splendid dinning. After what was a long stay the hull was finished painting this new coating and the dock inspection completed, the floating dock was lowered o allow us to ballast the boat to the same amount as when we went in. As the some tanks had the fluid film in them I did the ballasting myself on the control panel. Next morning as all was well we were floated out ad after engine trials were on our way. As with most sailors we usually enjoy our time in port but are glad to be back at sea and away from the hustle and bustle of shore. We were headed to Antwerp to load for home.

Unread post by Guest »

Guest wrote:Captain, there is a difference between speaking badly about a person and simply telling the truth. The truth is that many of the shore staff are incompetent or simply don't care enough to do their job correctly. A case in point is the failure to get the cold weather gear to the crew. There is no excuse for this failure and other failures like it. No amount of tradition will smooth over the outrageous omissions of office staff who don't do their job properly.

Although I have never worked in the maritime field, I had a career spanning 25 years in manufacturing and corporate facilities that ranged from laborer to middle and upper management in both non-union and unionized settings. As such, I can tell you that sometimes decisions and failings at different levels are usually brought about by circumstances not often easily understood at other levels within an organization. I guess it is human nature to acquire a "us versus them" attitude. I have seen this at every company I ever worked at, and at times have witnessed it even between different shifts within the same department. I worked at one manufacturer that this situation had become so bad between the shop floor and the front office that we used to refer to the wall that separated these two departments as the "Berlin Wall" because both side had so much animosity towards one another and the blatant favoritism exhibited towards the office workers.

I do agree, however, that some failings are beyond excuse as they should have never happened in the first place such as the lack of cold weather gear. One thing I have learned from my experiences in management is that middle management is often caught in the middle. As such, it is usually blamed for something outside of its control or by carrying out the policies of upper management.

Sorry for the long rant, just trying to add a new perspective to this thread. Keep up the good stories Lakercapt.

Unread post by Guest »

Thats a first never seen a skipper doing ships laundry lol if I remember correctly Captains Laundry used to get done with the ships fresh crisp white shirts.
Lakercapt

Getting off the wagon so to speak I thought I would relate some happenings about the early days with the Chinese crew. When the three Govan boats were put into service each accommodation deck plus the engine room were fitted with heavy duty laundry machines and driers. These to enable crew members to wash their personal clothing. When we were under Canadian flag the ships laundry was sent ashore in the “Canal”. Its fell to the second cook, to assist the crew with a fresh supply of sheets, pillow cases and towels. This was done on an exchange basis every week and toilet soap and laundry detergent if needed. The second cook would make a list of the dirty laundry and pack it into laundry bags. When approaching the Canal this list was sent to the warehouse and in the canal fresh laundry on a replacement basis was sent on board. When we were outside extra was supplied should it not be possible to have it done in port. Nearly all foreign ports had facilities to get it done during our stay. Now someone had the bright idea that this was to be dispensed with and the crew do it on board. The great idea was the catering staff would receive extra to do it. Contrary to the belief, gleaned from old movies perhaps, Chinese people are not born with this skill. One guess as to who had to show the guys how to do it. I must have acquired this knowledge when I was studying for masters but I don’t recall it being taught. Language difficulties meant I had to pantomime the sequence time and time again till the message got through. Now it was only repetition and all would be OK, wrong. After completion a few washes I left them alone to do the task. It was not long before the machines started to give trouble. I went to see what was happening and found the machine jam packed seized up. I had shown the maximum load for each cycle but they thought putting in more would speed the process. It was not long before the machines quit and needed replacement. Again it was insinuated that I had not been giving enough guidance. I never knew it was in my job description to instruct crew how to laundry. I in the meantime do my own laundry in the machines on our deck. End of rant!
Lakercapt

Loading in Duluth with a very mixed cargo was slow. One of the reasons was the corn was very dry and loading at a fast rate and it would have broken the kernels. A couple of shifts and we finished. I incurred the wrath of the pilots as I shifted without one as it was very short notice. Pilotage was a continuing concern as I was instructed by our gallant leader to minimize there use as much as possible. This edict was not making us masters on the three boats popular and as they were the ones paying my wage I could not ignore this. It was especially so when transiting the Welland Canal and a couple of times I insisted that I maneuver the boat, as I mentioned before if you do not continue using your skills and knowledge you lose it. There was no way of knowing when the Canadian captains and chief engineers would be replaced.
We completed cargo for this port and did the usual trip down to the lower river and with a stop in Montreal for fuel and proceeded to Quebec City to top off the cargo. A surprise there was a new leading steward boarded and I did not know he was coming but glad the other fellow was departing. It only took a few hours and soon we were on our way. Alas the new L.S. had lost his luggage but between us all managed to get some clothes etc for him till we got to Europe. Never seems to be a day goes by without some form of problem. As I had decided to go a great circle route as summer weather it is usually good and the only concern would be icebergs. We did encounter some and the crew were very interested in them> I did a close pass with one large one so they could get a good look. Reminded them that what they saw was only about a tenth of it as the rest was under water. In fact it was clear that you could see part of it and the sea birds swooping about. We were not fortunate with the weather as although it was not rough the westerly winds kept it cool. The crew were not seasick either so that was a plus. Going this way was shorter and it was quickly into the busy shipping lanes and getting TV reception. It was initially intended we were to anchor at Flushing until a berth was ready. I only found this out after the pilot boarded and we were nearly there. Flushing is a very poor anchorage and low and behold a gale force NWly came up so were returned and anchored at the A1 buoy. This is where we picked up the pilot. Next morning the weather improved and we up anchor and proceeded inwards. Berthing in Antwerp after passing through the massive Zandfleet lock in the late afternoon. Discharge commenced right away ad they worked right through rain after I received a letter from the stevedores indicating they were responsible for any damage to the cargo.
I had to say goodbye to the CEO, Tom who had been a terrific asset to us and unfortunately it was a new CEO who was not that but a real Radio officer whose knowledge of electrical work was next to nothing. The C/E was not at all pleased at this turn of events. A surprise visit from the manning agency and I was delighted to tell of the happening with their choice f crew. Whither it did any good or not I don’t know or they just considered me a real pain in the behind. The local Padre got his care package as we still had a little of the Canadian store left. The chief and I missed our usual trip up town for the Pom frites and mussels as there was much to do as I had been informed that we were to be going to Hamburg for dry-docking. This could not been an impulsive booking but why we were not informed earlier is anyone guess. This especially as a wish list from us was requested for work we wished done. I do not refer to as a repair list but a defect list and then the onus is on them (the office) if anything happens because of an omission on their part.
The trip round to Hamburg was one where I was required to spend a considerable amount of tome in the pilothouse and I was glad when we were in the dry dock. It was a floating dock and very quickly the boat was up and out of the water. A fellow from the office was across to oversee the repairs and supervise the work to be carried out. The C/E and I were more than a little miffed in that he was booked into a hotel during the period. How was it we were to economize all the time when this expense could have been avoided as the owner’s suite was ready on board???
Pete in Holland MI

Enjoying your stories daily Cap !