My starting to be a sailor

Discussion board focusing on Great Lakes Shipping Question & Answer. From beginner to expert all posts are welcome.
Lakercapt

Re: My starting to be a sailor

Unread post by Lakercapt »

Guest wrote:These stories are awesome Capt, so were all the Algoma sternenders the Lake, Bay, Port and Wood all the same or were there real differences ?
Sorry can not in honesty give any opinion about them as was on the "Bay" or two days and "Lake" for 10 days

Unread post by Guest »

These stories are awesome Capt, so were all the Algoma sternenders the Lake, Bay, Port and Wood all the same or were there real differences ?
Lakercapt

Rob wrote:I imagine that you will be enlightening us as to the circumstances of the captain's dismissal as well..
There were many reasons this happened and he had been previously been told to rectify his behaviour is all I will comment on as I liked the guy from previous meetings.
Lakercapt

The trip to little Narrows is a very scenic one and passes close to where my famous countryman had a residence and conducted many experiments on the water with his novel craft, Alexander Graham Bell.
The loading wharf there is too short for the loading conveyor to load as the boat was too long so it involved loading where we could and then coming off the berth and turning round to complete. There are no concerns about have the correct daft as we were going to Montreal where that was not a concern. It took about 36 hours if my memory serves me correctly. Just before we departed the four errant tunnelmen came back. I had had a word with the chief engineer about this and he said it had been the practice before he boarded. It was no longer to happen and as they gone for two days their pay would be adjusted accordingly. That went down like a lead balloon! I had called the union hiring hall and requested replacements for the ones that were no longer with us to join when we got to Montreal. At that time the S.I.U. had a school in Morrisberg that was supposed to e training new recruits for their sea going career. The crew members that completed the course were supposed to be ready for ship board employment. What a joke that was as they came on board with a semi type of uniform and a copy of the union contract. The ones I received as replacements were as good as having a man short. The catering staff were useless and could not set a table and the second cook hadn’t a clue how to prepare a meal. On deck with one of these new deckhands with his new jeans etc and a copy of the union contract in his back pocket, I asked him to cut a piece of rope I was carrying. Your knife I told him. Don’t have one. Well cut it with the thing you have in your back pocket. That’s the contract he replied. Next ports get yourself a proper knife or pack your bag.
I am getting ahead of myself as these incidents were after Montreal which was a very subdued passage and the bloodletting was completed. There were a few good crew members and they were pleased at the changes and things being run as they should.
Berthed at Montreal and I was used to the boom being swung out as soon as I had rung off the engines and shut the bow thruster down but looking out on deck I could see no activity. I went down on deck and asked e matte what was going on and he replied they we are getting things ready now. Why the delay as you had plenty of time as we were coming up the river. Just another ploy to get more shore time for some of the local crew. That will not happen again I told him as when I ring off you better have the boom swing out and cargo discharging in a few minutes.
The discharge was slow as he our gallant lads in the tunnel were playing games and the cargo was hanging up as the vibrators were not being used. I had a word with the chief engineer who was well into the cups which was very big NO NO with the company and had to warn him to get his act in gear and the tunnelmen smarten up as they could all be on the beach. I had been given carte blanch by the company to do what was necessary and had kept them informed what I was doing. Eventually we sailed with the new replacements and did the same trip again. Sept Iles to Sydney N.S and Little Narrows to Montreal.hen we arrived back in Montreal they were surprised when the boom was out and cargo coming ashore within minutes of arrival. I was relieved in Sydney next time there and I bet there were cheers at my departure but things were now running as they should.
Rob

Unread post by Rob »

I imagine that you will be enlightening us as to the circumstances of the captain's dismissal as well...
Lakercapt

I was called early in the morning and by the time I arrived at the boat the deed had been done and the master was packing his bags. All I was needed for at that time was to get the hand over completed and that was done as fast as possible. I knew my arrival would be accepted like a fart in an elevator and soon enough it started. An irate female marched into my office demanding to see the captain. I said I was that person. No the other captain. He is not available. I want to go and see a doctor. Ok I replied but bring a sick note from the doctor. The “lady” was the cook who had been a major part of the problems as often during the night when the captain was called she would answer the phone. A short while later a couple of other crew members handed in their notice. I agreed to pay them off immediately.

The discharge was going on at what I thought was a slow rate and asked the mate why this was so. His reply was that it was normal as they could not accept the ore any quicker. I went down and sought out the shore boss and he said that was how they always did it and sure they could increase the rate without a problem. A few of the crew lived locally and this meant they could get a longer time ashore. Mean time the cook arrived back with a letter from the doctor. I asked if she knew what it said and admitted she had not. When I read it and passed it to Bob the office guy who had been the one to do the deed we both could not believe it. The doctor had written that the person was an extreme case of psychiatric distress and must seek care immediately medical attention for her condition and under no circumstances be allowed to sail. When I told her that she wanted he letter back but I would no t give it back and told he she was pack her bags and seek medical attention immediately. Another problem solved. The unloading rate increased after a word with the mate. We were to go round to Little Narrows a short run to load gypsum for Montreal. We finished unloading and just before the ship cast off four crew members got in a waiting taxi ad took off. I asked who they were and told they were the tunnelmen who were going home and would rejoin in Little Narrows. This I was informed was the normal arrangement!
More later
Lakercapt

The 1981 season was one where I was not appointed to any boat but to be a sort of roving master going where and when needed. All on self un-loaders and to say it was interesting is more than an understatement as I found myself in one or two difficult situations not of my making but I being left to sort out/remedy The first boat was one of the modern boats with everything aft and when the unloading gear started up the noise was incredible. How anyone could rest/sleep was in my opinion nearly impossible unless you wore ear plugs. The next was my favourite the Algosoo where we shuttled back and forth between Marquette and the Soo. A real treat for the master, with pilotage from the Soo out and in about one and a half hours and Marquette half an hour both ways. The Second mate did the paperwork and the third mate kept the crew lists for the US immigration up to date. We ran like clockwork and when departing Marquette could tell with a certain degree of accuracy when we would be back.
The Algorail was next doing the Bagely Island to Midland and then Goderich to Toronto with a load of coloured salt. Next it was round to Picton to load cement clinker for Essexville up the Saginaw river. When the clinker was being loaded they used to spray water on it to cut back on the dust. One occasion the loading belt motor stopped but no one thought to turn off the water for the sprinklers. Started up again and you know what happens when you mix water with cement, concrete. When it was time to unload in Essexville they could not open the gates. Jack hammers were tried to no avail and in the end the explosive guy from the quarry was brought in and with several small charges broke up the mess. Certainly was a big bang. If there was no current it was normal practice to go up river a little bit and stick the bow in the bank and turn round and head out. Back to “Circle City” for another load of salt for down below and in the canal it off again. I flew up to the Soo to relieve a master that said he was sick. After hanging about in the lockmasters hut waiting for the boat which was coming up the river. Even then there were many surety measures and I was not allowed to board until the captain signed the required paperwork. Got on board and he asked me “why are you here?” To relieve you as you told the office you were sick. I am staying he informed me I could get off which I did at the first chance two days later. I and the office were not amused! I rode on the Algoway for a few days before going on vacation. Then back to the E.B. for about a month as Steve had vacation. A few days at home when I was told to meet one of the bosses in Toronto airport and he would inform me why. There had been several repots about big problems on one of the boats and I was to be going down to replace the captain. He did not know this was to happen. The boat was loading in Sept Iles and we were to fly down there. Due to a delay in the flight when we arrived in Montreal we had missed the flight. The guy I was with chartered a private plane and told the agents in Sept Iles to instruct the captain no to sail. That was the first time I was in one of these small jets and it was quite an experience. Approaching Sept Iles the pilot was told the airport was closed due o fog and the nearest place that was marginal was Baie Comeau so we went there and just managed to land before that too was closed. Hired a car and in terrible driving conditions raced to get to Sept Iles. Got there to be told the boat had sailed. Words from the office guy were not for tender ears as he was just about apoplectic. We stayed overnight in a hotel and flew back to Montreal and then down to Sydney N.S. and booked into a hotel as the boat had not arrived yet. Next morning Bob told me to stay in the hotel until I was asked to come down to the boat. During these long hours that we had spent together Bob had given me an insight what was suspected as going on and I was not looking forward to joining.
hugh3

Unread post by hugh3 »

As with most jobs which are attained through seniority there are no equals. Someone is always more equal then someone else. Look at two US Naval destroyers entering port. Both Captains graduated from the Academy the same year - The Captain with the higher ranking, class wise, will enter port first.

I can imagine there was a weariness about someone from saltwater coming up on the Lakes and starting out as a Captain...
Lakercapt

RCRVRP wrote:Please elaborate on you being seen as an outsider and a threat.

I pictured the captains as being a cozy, mens club group type of thing.
A as "saltie" coming on to the "lakes" I had learnt my way of sailing in a different fashion and I had a much different accent. Maybe they thought that there wold be dozens coming!!.
A cozy men's club group I would never happen as with a bunch of captains that some thought were only a step below the big guy.
I am not talking about on the lakes but in general
RCRVRP

Unread post by RCRVRP »

Please elaborate on you being seen as an outsider and a threat.

I pictured the captains as being a cozy, mens club group type of thing.
Lakercapt

Once during the winter I was called to go down to Hamilton to re-moor the boat. There had strong easterly winds for several days and the water level in the harbour had risen substantially and our moorings were so taut that they had pulled the bollards right of the dock. There was no danger of the boat moving as it was frozen in but all the moorings had to be done again, this time without the aid of steam winches as the boilers were shut down. Back to the old days of strong men and block on block tackle. Took a while in very cold temperatures but I received a day’s pay for my efforts plus transportation expenses. It was during the winter meetings, held by the company to inform the masters and chief engineers if there were any changes and expectations for the upcoming season general outlook etc that I was asked if I would like to go to a ship handling course, with Steve, in Port Ravel in France which is reported to be a leader in the class of stimulated handling of ships .It in the French Alps and conducted on an artificial lake with dock, wharfs, single point moorings, canals and rives etc. The ships are scaled models of ships 25% scale. They handle exactly as real ships but five faster. Look like toys until you try and manoeuvre them. The course we attended had masters from all over the world and the language and lessons were all conducted in English. It was still early spring and on the cold side. Classroom instruction was conducted in the mornings as there was still some ice on the lake and there we different courses to sit the masters of the different ships. Steve and I were on a completely different one designed for the Great Lakes. They taught us about bank effect, interaction and the many special effects in shallow and close quarter situations etc. About the dangers of overtaking another vessel in a canal or river and later you would put these things it practice on the “lake”
This was done in the morning and after a humongous lunch when all you felt like doing was having a nap we donned the special warm weather clothing and down to the craft we were allocated to try out the mornings lessons We were all in pairs and one person was her captain and sat it the bridge area the other person sat lower in the cockpit and was the engineer following you instructions’.. You changed places half way through.
Due to the scale of things the reaction time was five times faster than normal and it took you by surprise when things happened so fast. I was a great course and I did learn many of tricks that stood me in good stead in later life. I feared for some of the other captains who did not have a clue as they were so used to a pilot coming on board and doing it all for them.
After the course it was back to the hotel where the evening meal was of Michelin star standard and with a bottle of wine you were ready to have a sleep and prepare yourself for the next day.
At the winter meeting it was my first chance to meet the other se going staff and some of the office people. Our wife’s were invited and when we were doing our thing they had excursions arrange for the local attractions, I was not greeted with the greatest of warmth as I was looked by some as an outsider threat and although it was not a surprise it was not all that pleasant. I learnt that I would not be going back to the E.B. but instead would be a roaming captain to g where ever I might be needed at short notice and got more experience of the other class of boats.
The last evening was a formal affair with a dinner and dance and it was requested that uniforms be worn. I was surprised to see the many variations of the four captains gold bars on the sleeves and think a theatre company had tailored the instead of the proper legal issue.
More later
Lakercapt

Does that make being a laker Captain a less desirable job than being an ocean going captain?[/quote]

You can not compare the two as I enjoyed both. Being away from home for many months at a time is certainly a major drawback to ocean going. Another drawback is the most of cargo is shipped in containers and looking out at the wharf in Hong Kong is the same as hundreds of other terminals so going to sea to see the world does not exist anymore. Tankers and large bulk carriers are similar.
Times have certainly changed from when I first started sailing and will be like the clipper ships a part of history. I will not say (YET) if I would do it all again.
RCRVRP

Unread post by RCRVRP »

Lakercapt wrote:On the lakes you certainly have a very busy time compared to ocean going where you have days were you only do you basic jobs. On the lakes for an example I went down the Welland Canal across to Hamilton discharged and was upbound the same day. Another example was when we loaded salt in Goderich, went to Alpena, discharged, and was back loading another cargo of salt the same day. In Thunder Bay I loaded a cargo of mixed grains at ten elevators so you are always very busy.

Does that make being a laker Captain a less desirable job than being an ocean going captain?
Lakercapt

On the lakes you certainly have a very busy time compared to ocean going where you have days were you only do you basic jobs. On the lakes for an example I went down the Welland Canal across to Hamilton discharged and was upbound the same day. Another example was when we loaded salt in Goderich, went to Alpena, discharged, and was back loading another cargo of salt the same day. In Thunder Bay I loaded a cargo of mixed grains at ten elevators so you are always very busy.
RCRVRP

Was lake sailing more hectic?

Unread post by RCRVRP »

From reading your stories it seems like there is a lot more activity in a certain amount of time in lake sailing vs. ocean sailing.
I envision it like the difference in driving a delivery truck in the city vs driving a semi truck across across the American west.

Is that an accurate way to think of it?
neguper

Unread post by neguper »

Thank you for your stories. I am a former USN Sailor who also worked as a merchant Sailor on the lakes and I love your stories. They remind of my days gone by.
Lakercapt

I don’t remember all the trips we used to load at Bowmanville, this was a dock for the loading equipment and dolphins to help tie up the boat and the cement factory. It was miles from the town. First thing was to pump out the water in the tunnel and when it was dry enough we would start loading and there was dust all over the place. Think it took about twelve hours and then we would spend the rest of the time cleaning up before the “Canal” which was a thankless task as it would soon be coated ever where. The “canal” was busy at this time and a passage could take up to twenty hours, by which time we were all rather tired. Across the lake and up the Detroit River to a place called Wyandotte which was quite a trick. You came off the main channel and at the top backed down stern first to the dock. As I mentioned before it was very difficult to see where you were going due to the “A” frame so Steve would be hanging out one window and doing the same the other side. We did it a few times and got blasé about it. It was not a difficult discharge but we were stopped several times by the county sheriff as the local residents would complain about the dust. Would start up again when it got dark. When we completed it was all hands down the tunnel to clean up any residue. When I said all hands I meant it as the cooks and oilers etc were down below cleaning up before we could put the water ballast in the tunnel. The accommodation and amenities were not that good but there was always plenty of O/T as an incentive to stay. Once we went to Load salt in Windsor at the Sifto dock and cross the river and discharge it. Shortest trip ever. Down to Toledo to load coal for the Power plant in Windsor and that was a waste of time as the plant never became fully operational and all the coal was shipped up river to Lambton power generating station. The worst trip was to load salt in Cleveland. I bet many don’t know of that. It was up the “Old River Basin” and a really awkward place to get to and from. Great Lakes Tugs had a dockyard there and if you were not using a tug would raft the tugs leaving the miniscule amount of room to get past. Just being a bunch of a-holes. Departing was the same with the added difficulty of turning into the main channel. As we were loaded there was not a lot of water under the keel and she would turn very slowly, I sometimes wondered if we were going to make it, so too were the patrons at the bar as they were ready to start running when we got very close (a few feet).
After discharge in Toronto it was back to Bowmanville to load for our least favourite place, Wyandotte. It was only a few days time till Christmas so I suggested that Steve go home and join us in the “Canal”. Got to Bowmanville and had the ballast out and started to load when the wind started to howl from the North and the temperature plummeted. We were having a very difficult time holding on even with the extra moorings engine and bow thruster. Eventually we got too far off the dock we were unable to load and the wires were running off the winches. Called the office and they said go along to Oshawa and tie up until 26th December when they would resume. This pleased many of the crew as they would get a chance to be home for Christmas. The office called my wife and told her to go and pick me up. She managed to find the coal dock in the pitch dark which amazed me. We still had our faithful Honda and offered a couple of the crew which was all that would fit a ride to the bus station. My young son came with my wife and in a chatty mood said to the crew members “it must be a very tiring job you guys have as when ever my Dad comes he wants to go to bed with my Mom” They had a trouble keeping from laughing.
It was so cold that I decided to fill the car with gas as everything would be closed at Christmas time but could not get the filling cap off. Had to go home and use the hair drier to thaw it out. Had a great Christmas, certainly unexpected and in the early hours of 26th back to the boat. Did I get a big surprise as when I left it was open water and now there was 8 inches of ice covering the harbour. Took a great deal of effort breaking it up and getting out on the lake along to Bowmanville. The weather turned nasty again and we could not dock. Called the office and they told me when weather permitted go alongside and discharge what cargo we had on board and go along to Hamilton and tie up for the winter as the Welland Canal was frozen up and some ships were trapped. Good news and on 27th December after battling ice tied up for the winter.
Thus ended my first trip as a Lake Captain but there was more surprises in store for me so if you are wondering if this will be turning into a boring tome fear not.
Lakercapt

When I got down to the office I was greeted by the HR guy and shown into the large conference room, was then joined by the shore captain the engine super Art, and the director. All the tops of the operations. I was somewhat taken aback. To have all these people together and it was soon told something that came as a big surprise. They ask me if I would sail the E.B. Barber for the remainder of the season, approximately two months as captain as from all the reports they had received indicated the I was ready. I pointed out that I did not know all the places she went to. That going to be taken care off as a first mate that was going to be promoted would be with me. That way we would should e able to manage between us. That certainly was a shock but Steve and I got on well together and apart for a few bumps managed to find our way about and get the cargos delivered.
Doing the first lock. McArthur, I must admit was something of a bum puckering experience as the boat was the first turbine I had been on as all the others were CPP and responded right away to any engine command. With the turbine you had t allow for delays whilst the engineer changed from ahead turbine to astern turbine. All new to me. To say that she was a difficult ship to handle was certainly an understatement. She had originally been a straight Decker and converted to be a self unloader and as a result the “A” frame for the to hold the boom was right against the pilothouse more or less blocking out any view aft The wheelsman had two large tuck mirrors one on each wing where e could see what the stern was doing.
We went to Goodrich to load a cargo of salt for the City of Chicago and docking there was made easier by the use of McDonald’s small tugs. The loading was speedy and the salt was coloured with blue dye so it could only be used for roads and not commercial purposes. Going in through the piers towards the lock I misjudged the speed; I was going too fast and had to let go both anchors to stop. Heaved the up and they were tangled with coils of old wires. Had to clear them before going into the lock. We locked through and the discharge was to be besides the Chicago Tribune building. We could not get the boat alongside but still managed to discharge the cargo. I reported to obstruction and a few weeks later was told that it was a big limo with three people that had been shot before the car was pushed into the water!!
Lakercapt

We went next to Marquette on the south shore of lake Superior where again we loaded iron ore pellets from the dock there. There were two sides to the dock and it was similar to the one in Thunder Bay where the chutes were lowered down and a load of ore pellets was poured into the hold. The simplicity and efficiency of the operation amazed me and n about five hours we were on our way through the piers and on to the Soo. A couple of hours later they called the boat and told them the tonnage loaded and being an American port they quoted in short tons (2000 lbs). This is the only place in the world that used that as nearly worldwide it’s in tonnes (1000 Kgs.) Still that does not detract from a system that has been in use for a considerable time.
After about a month of stupid question I thought I was beginning to get an idea of how much I had to learn. There were no bow lines and stern lines and the boat secured with usually four wires that were just named one, two, three and four. Nothing to get mixed up! After about a month one there I was told to travel down to the Soo where the next Laker was discharging coal. I was surprised to see Captain Jim there when we were ready to sail.
We went down to a place rightly named Stoneport a cargo of what else, stone for Sarnia in Ontario. Jim turned the boat just below the docks and backed down to a place we were to discharge. I could not see and dock or wharf and Jim pointed out a yellow 44 gallon drum painted yellow and said that is where we were to unload. My first experience of a “Punt job”. Four deckhands each with a heaving line got in the punt and rowed ashore. With the aid of a pay loader the mooring wires were heaved ashore and the boat tied up some distance from the shore. Boom out and discharge started. As the boat was about finished discharge in the Soo when I boarded I was overwhelmed by the noise. The unloading gear was for’d and instead of a loop belt had a system of buckets that lift the cargo and dumped it in the hopper at the bottom of them boom. I believe that later it was changed to a rubber type of system. We did a trip down to the Welland Canal where I was allowed to go home to explain to my wife the wonders I had experienced. I was smarter now as I only packed a carry all instead of the suitcase of before.
I rejoined the boat again in Thunder Bay and loaded and discharged in places I had never heard off and Jim even allowed me to berth and undock a couple of times with him ready to step in should I be making a screw up. One place that fascinated me was Bagely Island n Georgian Bay. We went to this place that had high quality quartz rock and there was nothing else there as all the people that worked there came in by boat when a load was to be done. It was only short rum down to Midland where another punt job was required to secure the boat. Later if have seen where the water level dropped due to weather that when we were ready to discharge the boom was so far off the dock that we would start discharging with only one belt running on light load and shooting the cargo on to the heap till we lightened up a bit and could gradually get closer.
When we were there I was told to come down to the office in Port Colbourne and I was concerned that this was to tell me I did not fit into their way of doing things and Bye Bye.
Lakercapt

Jared wrote:It must have hurt to see her go to the breakers a few years ago. I dove on her sister the Roy Jodrey in the St. Lawerence. She must have sank around the time you began your career here?
Yes it was sad to see her go the last Canadian selfunloader built with the pilothouse for'd.
Diving on the Jodrey must be scary as the currents at that part of the river are strong. Having had my diving certification at one time I would never attempt going down there!