Photo Collection

Discussion board focusing on Great Lakes Shipping Question & Answer. From beginner to expert all posts are welcome.

Re: Photo Collection

Unread post by Guest »

With all of the pictures of the vessels at anchor in the St. Marys River on November 11, 1975 that are loaded with cargo I'm assuming that the storm conditions that sank the Fitzgerald on Lake Superior extended further south to Lake Michigan and Lake Huron?

Unread post by Guest »

What's the story behind that continuous bucket unloader?

Loving the photos from what is now a golden age of shipping, garbear. Amazing how many of those boats that were new then are gone now.
garbear

Unread post by garbear »

E J B-I can. I appreciate all the positive comments I've been receiving. Thanks.
Attachments
Wolverine downbound in the Detroit River.
Wolverine downbound in the Detroit River.
Testing a continuous bucket unloader in Conneaut. Not too much was unloaded with the test.
Testing a continuous bucket unloader in Conneaut. Not too much was unloaded with the test.
John A. Kling downbound at Port Huron.
John A. Kling downbound at Port Huron.
Tugboat Margaret Yorke at Port Huron.
Tugboat Margaret Yorke at Port Huron.
No matter what I did I couldn't get the whole Northern Venture in the photo. Unloading in Conneaut. We're waiting for her to depart.
No matter what I did I couldn't get the whole Northern Venture in the photo. Unloading in Conneaut. We're waiting for her to depart.
Algoway upbound in the St. Clair River.
Algoway upbound in the St. Clair River.
Lake Manitoba upbound in the St. Clair River.
Lake Manitoba upbound in the St. Clair River.
Canadian Century unloading coal at Lambton power plant.
Canadian Century unloading coal at Lambton power plant.
Canadian Century unloading coal at the Lambton power plant.
Canadian Century unloading coal at the Lambton power plant.
George M. Humphrey anchored in the lower St. Mary's, November 11, 1975.
George M. Humphrey anchored in the lower St. Mary's, November 11, 1975.
E J B

Unread post by E J B »

Thanks for sharing these photos with us garbear. Keep them coming if you can !
ds

Unread post by ds »

Would appreciate seeing a photo or photos of the crane ship Buckeye, should you have one available from your collection. I sailed during the mid and late seventies, all with Columbia.
garbear

Unread post by garbear »

Guest wrote:Garbear on the 2nd deck aft on the AAA what was the arrangements Galley Quarters?
On the Clarke that was where the Engineers and senior Oiler had their quarters. The galley/dining room/crew mess was on the spar deck level on the port side right when you came in from outside.

Unread post by Guest »

Guest wrote:Other than the Blough and Cort in 1975 the Algosoo would have been as big as they got and new, should have taken notice that she was anchored.
Due to a series of reconstructions there were a number of US vessels in service by 1975 that were longer than the standard 730 foot lakers. This includes the John Sherwin and Charles M. Beeghly at 806 feet, along with the Armco, Reserve, Cason J. Callaway, and Philip R. Clarke at 767 feet in length. In addition, the Arthur M. Anderson had just been lengthened to 767 feet some 6 months prior to its involvement in the Fitzgerald sinking. Apparently there was little concern of that vessel's sinking being related to its design as its loss did not delay the lengthening of its sister ship Arthur B. Homer during the 1975-76 winter layup.

Unread post by Guest »

Garbear on the 2nd deck aft on the AAA what was the arrangements Galley Quarters?
garbear

Unread post by garbear »

Nothing much going on today, so I'll post a few more.
Attachments
Enders M. Voorhees at West of #5 with Fraser Shipyard work boat/barge along side.
Enders M. Voorhees at West of #5 with Fraser Shipyard work boat/barge along side.
Cason J. Callaway downbound St. Mary's River near Lime Island.
Cason J. Callaway downbound St. Mary's River near Lime Island.
USS "bone yard" in West Duluth.
USS "bone yard" in West Duluth.
Bultema tug Muskegon at Port Huron.
Bultema tug Muskegon at Port Huron.
garbear

Unread post by garbear »

Guest wrote:
garbear wrote:A few more.
That must have been a short while before the Algosoo declined to join the search for the Fitzgerald. On the audio recordings of the Coast Guard search for the Fitz the Captain of the Algosoo stated they had cracked the kort nozzle and didn't want to risk more damage in the conditions. The Earl W. Ogelbay rolled in modest seas more than any other ship I ever worked on so I can't imagine the ride the guys on the Roesch had heading out into those seas!
The Algosoo followed us down to the Soo. I saw her turn above the Locks. I figured she was going into Algoma Steel.

Unread post by Guest »

garbear wrote:A few more.
That must have been a short while before the Algosoo declined to join the search for the Fitzgerald. On the audio recordings of the Coast Guard search for the Fitz the Captain of the Algosoo stated they had cracked the kort nozzle and didn't want to risk more damage in the conditions. The Earl W. Ogelbay rolled in modest seas more than any other ship I ever worked on so I can't imagine the ride the guys on the Roesch had heading out into those seas!

Unread post by Guest »

Those two pictures of the Thayer and Roesch in Nov 1975 are also significant as they are very early views of these vessels following their acquisition by Oglebay Norton and subsequent placement into the Pringle Transit Company just months earlier.

Unread post by Guest »

These are treasures ! Please keep them coming.
garbear

Unread post by garbear »

I know some of these photos seem like I'm far away from the boats, but my first camera was a Kodak Instamatic, so I couldn't be too close otherwise I couldn't get in as much as I did with some of the photos.
Attachments
E.M. Ford at Gray's Reef Light.
E.M. Ford at Gray's Reef Light.
Fit-out, Jones Island.
Fit-out, Jones Island.
Inbound at Detour Reef.
Inbound at Detour Reef.
Ryerson stack.
Ryerson stack.
Tanker Joseph Bigane with Munson unloading in the background at the Gary Works.
Tanker Joseph Bigane with Munson unloading in the background at the Gary Works.
Sewell Avery westbound.
Sewell Avery westbound.
Litton Industries stack.
Litton Industries stack.
Great Lakes Dredge and Dock tug Wm. A. Lydon at Conneaut.
Great Lakes Dredge and Dock tug Wm. A. Lydon at Conneaut.
Edward B. Greene upbound St. Mary's at Lime Island.
Edward B. Greene upbound St. Mary's at Lime Island.
Walter A. Sterling downbound St. Mary's River.
Walter A. Sterling downbound St. Mary's River.
garbear

Unread post by garbear »

A few more.
Attachments
E.G. Grace downbound in the St. Mary's.
E.G. Grace downbound in the St. Mary's.
Clarke downbound in Lake Superior.
Clarke downbound in Lake Superior.
Presque Isle upbound in Whitefish
Presque Isle upbound in Whitefish
JMc

Unread post by JMc »

Thank you for posting all of these great photos!! Please keep them coming!!

Unread post by Guest »

Other than the Blough and Cort in 1975 the Algosoo would have been as big as they got and new, should have taken notice that she was anchored.

Unread post by Guest »

Wow incredible pictures your told how rough it was but when you see colour photos hours before the tragedy it puts it in a whole other context.

Unread post by Guest »

Very rare photos from November 10/11, 1975. Interesting to see some of the ships underway that a couple of hours later went to anchor in Whitefish Bay. You can see the winds blowing the top off the waves in the Algosoo photo.

Unread post by Guest »

Some great pictures of those vessels on the day of the Fitzgerald sinking. I believe those are the only ones I have seen of ships in that storm.