Photo Collection

Discussion board focusing on Great Lakes Shipping Question & Answer. From beginner to expert all posts are welcome.
garbear

Re: Photo Collection

Unread post by garbear »

Forgot to add this one.
Attachments
Departing Duluth from Missabe.
Departing Duluth from Missabe.
Duluth Guest

Unread post by Duluth Guest »

I think it was Captain Metz who said he always thought the Fitz and Homer looked like they were wearing hats.

There are subtle differences between pilothouses besides the coaming above the windows as well. Note the ladders and coamings protecting the doors on each of the Homer and Fitz as well, in comparison to the AAA's. Of course, the AAA's have bridge wings now but they didn't when they were launched. The compound curves of the Fitz and Homer pilothouses make them some of the most difficult ones to draw and/or paint and have it appear photo-realisitc.
Jared

Unread post by Jared »

Yup I see it now that you pointed it out! Thanks for the pictures.
garbear

Unread post by garbear »

The photo that I took of the Clarke is a color photo, but the haze prevented the color from coming out. I did my best to edit the photo, but to no avail. Same with the Tarantau. I could get some color into the Burton photo.
Attachments
Inbound for Missabe.
Inbound for Missabe.
Inbound Duluth.
Inbound Duluth.
Courtney Burton outbound from Missabe.
Courtney Burton outbound from Missabe.
Clarke outbound from Missabe.
Clarke outbound from Missabe.
Inbound Duluth.
Inbound Duluth.
Tarantau outbound from Missabe.
Tarantau outbound from Missabe.
Outbound from Missabe.
Outbound from Missabe.
Outbound from Missabe.
Outbound from Missabe.
garbear

Unread post by garbear »

Jared wrote:I know the lengths and classes were different, but to me the pilothouse design looks idenitical. That's what I was getting at. Besides the older "D" shaped pilothouses, those were the only modern design I like.
I respectfully disagree. The Homer had that extra superstructure extension above the pilothouse awning. The Ford did not. I would say that the "Super" class of the 40's had a design similar to the pilothouse design as the "AAA". I guess what I'm getting at is you'd never mistake the Homer/Fitzgerald pilothouse for the Ford. From a guy who sailed for 8 yrs. on the Clarke. Maybe that old "apples to oranges" thing. I know what you're saying, but I still disagree.
Jared

Unread post by Jared »

I know the lengths and classes were different, but to me the pilothouse design looks idenitical. That's what I was getting at. Besides the older "D" shaped pilothouses, those were the only modern design I like.

Unread post by Guest »

Those are really nice photos of the Arthur B. Homer. Although this vessel had a different stern arrangement that its more famous sistership, I always felt that it was one of the best looking ships of its era, especially when it received the updated stack markings in the early 1970s.

As pointed out by a previous poster, the William Clay Ford was not a sister ship to the Homer and Fitzgerald. Despite this, it is interesting to note the similarities between the two classes.
Ray

Unread post by Ray »

Jared wrote:That Arthur B. Homer and William C. Ford sure do pass as sister ships to the Fitz.
Actually I was surprised at how much different that the Fitzgerald the Homer looks at the aft end. Not sure that I've ever seen a good stern shot of the Homer before. (And I was about 10 years old the one time I saw it go into Duluth.)

Thank you again Garbear for posting all these pictures. It's about as close as we can get to a summer 1976 day in Duluth. (Minus the Christian Raadich. :) )
garbear

Unread post by garbear »

Jared wrote:That Arthur B. Homer and William C. Ford sure do pass as sister ships to the Fitz.
Ford wasn't a sister ship to the Fitzgerald. She was a "AAA". Would have been a sister to the Clarke, Anderson, Callaway, Mauthe, etc.
Jared

Unread post by Jared »

That Arthur B. Homer and William C. Ford sure do pass as sister ships to the Fitz.
garbear

Unread post by garbear »

A few more on a beautiful afternoon in Duluth.
Attachments
Outbound from Missabe.
Outbound from Missabe.
Outbound from Missabe.
Outbound from Missabe.
Outbound from Missabe.
Outbound from Missabe.
Vandoc outbound from Cargill B-1, Duluth.
Vandoc outbound from Cargill B-1, Duluth.
Outbound from Missabe.
Outbound from Missabe.
Outbound Duluth.
Outbound Duluth.
Arriving Huron Cement, Superior.
Arriving Huron Cement, Superior.
Continental Grain, Superior.
garbear

Unread post by garbear »

Went thru a few more today.
Attachments
Adam E. Cornelius loading North of #1, Missabe, Two Harbors.
Adam E. Cornelius loading North of #1, Missabe, Two Harbors.
Outbound from Missabe.
Outbound from Missabe.
Outbound from Missabe.
Outbound from Missabe.
Inbound Duluth for Missabe.
Inbound Duluth for Missabe.
Canadian Progress outbound from Continental Grain in Superior.
Canadian Progress outbound from Continental Grain in Superior.
Paul H. Carnahan outbound from D.M. & I.R. ore dock.
Paul H. Carnahan outbound from D.M. & I.R. ore dock.
Rimouski outbound Duluth with grain.
Rimouski outbound Duluth with grain.
garbear

Unread post by garbear »

Guest wrote:
Paul A wrote:garbear, is that Pier B in the last batch of photos? I thought the cement silos were much older than what appears.
It's been a long time, but I think the silos would be to the right off the photo. In the Dykstra photo there's a yellow building on the very right.
That was a food distributor. The silo would be to the right of that warehouse.
Previous post was mine. I think the food distributor was on the inner part of the slip. Probably the yellow warehouse was with the cement silos.

Unread post by Guest »

Paul A wrote:garbear, is that Pier B in the last batch of photos? I thought the cement silos were much older than what appears.
It's been a long time, but I think the silos would be to the right off the photo. In the Dykstra photo there's a yellow building on the very right.
That was a food distributor. The silo would be to the right of that warehouse.
Paul A

Unread post by Paul A »

garbear, is that Pier B in the last batch of photos? I thought the cement silos were much older than what appears.

Unread post by Guest »

Great too see the daughters you dont see to many photos of Soo River or P&H boats in Duluth much, Same with Misener and Paterson boats.

Unread post by Guest »

Thanks for posting your pictures Garbear, I have been eagerly awaiting your next post since you started this thread!

I really like the one of the Johnstown entering Duluth. That ship, along with the Sparrows Point, and Elton Hoyt 2nd were always some of my favorites.

That's also a nice shot of the John Dykstra. I have always found it interesting as to how that ship could appear so well proportioned from some angles. Living in the St. Clair, Michigan area during the late 70s and early 80s I seen this ship, and its fleetmates, on a regular basis on their trips through the St. Clair River.
garbear

Unread post by garbear »

A few more tonight.
Attachments
Johnstown inbound for Missabe.
Johnstown inbound for Missabe.
John Dykstra outbound from Missabe.
John Dykstra outbound from Missabe.
Inbound Duluth.
Inbound Duluth.
Armco outbound from Missabe.
Armco outbound from Missabe.
Maplecliffe Hall inbound Duluth for grain.
Maplecliffe Hall inbound Duluth for grain.
Pierson Daughters inbound Duluth for grain.
Pierson Daughters inbound Duluth for grain.
garbear

Unread post by garbear »

ds wrote:Garbear,

Do you have a date for the photos of the White leaving Conneaut? She's looking pretty new in those images. I was a member of her original crew, leaving the Oglebay in Milwaukee and travelling to Sturgeon Bay in May of 1979 for sea trials. If those shots were taken in 1979, I was aboard her leaving port although I don't see myself in any of the three photos. Enjoying the images of the ships that were sailing in the 70's. Was a member of the craneship Buckeye's crew for the 1978 season, her final with Columbia. Hoping to see some images of her if you have any! Thanks!

DS
I don't have an exact date, but I do know it was 1979. I was on the Watson at the time when I took those photos.
A J

Unread post by A J »

Guest wrote:So, I am assuming that with all of that speed that the Republic boats had, were they also fuel hogs which ultimately led to their demise? I would think that physical size and lack of unloading gear are issues that could have been corrected or were the hulls not easily converted to conveyors? Were there other issues with the conversion design like poor sight lines, handling and etc.?
Yeah, they liked fuel and their smaller size and lack of unloading gear had made them unwanted, in an era when the 1000 foot long boats were brand new on the lakes. The three of them were on charter from Republic Steel to Cleveland-Cliffs, Cliffs having the contract to haul iron ore for Republic. 1980 saw a spiral downturn for demand of steel that kept a lot of boats laid up which were eventually sent to scrap. If a boat didn't have a boom (self-unloader), or wasn't going to get equipped, in time it was scrapped. Even the big hauler, Arthur B. Homer, which had been lengthened to 826 feet in 1975, never sailed again after the 1980 season. Unfortunately the three Republic boats were at the forefront of the parade of boats sent to scrap during the '80s.