What to my wondering eyes...

Open forum for regional discussion. (extension of the Information Search page for off topic & personal discussion)
Bookworm

Re: What to my wondering eyes..

Unread post by Bookworm »

The sound of waves gently breaking on the sand is wonderfully soothing and I feel emotionally, mentally, and physically refreshed by the experience -- something I desperately needed. So, shortly after first light, I headed out for quiet time at Lake Huron. But, before I even got to Port Huron, ship traffic distracted me. Come along on my morning adventure, and stay for the final two ships this afternoon.
Attachments
Stern view of saltie Happy Ranger (Cleveland) under sunny skies.
Stern view of saltie Happy Ranger (Cleveland) under sunny skies.
Salties Happy Ranger and Julie C meet on the big curve above Marysville.
Salties Happy Ranger and Julie C meet on the big curve above Marysville.
Saltie Julie C (Duluth) entering Chemical Valley.
Saltie Julie C (Duluth) entering Chemical Valley.
CSL Welland (Montreal) from the Ft. Gratiot Lighthouse grounds.
CSL Welland (Montreal) from the Ft. Gratiot Lighthouse grounds.
Haven't been to the Ft. Gratiot Light in several months and never photographed it from the east before.
Haven't been to the Ft. Gratiot Light in several months and never photographed it from the east before.
My first glimpse of the lake from the small park. That little spot way out there (a little left of center) is the saltie Caroline, still in the Sarnia Anchorage.
My first glimpse of the lake from the small park. That little spot way out there (a little left of center) is the saltie Caroline, still in the Sarnia Anchorage.
This is what I went for -- and to search among the stones for one or two to add to my collection.
This is what I went for -- and to search among the stones for one or two to add to my collection.
Within 20 minutes, skies were darkening, but not threatening.
Within 20 minutes, skies were darkening, but not threatening.
All the time I was driving back toward Marysville, I believed the rain was behind me. Then, from the Thomas Edison Parkway, I spotted this gigantic rainbow -- and soon after a brief downpour arrived.
All the time I was driving back toward Marysville, I believed the rain was behind me. Then, from the Thomas Edison Parkway, I spotted this gigantic rainbow -- and soon after a brief downpour arrived.
Baie Comeau at Sarnia's Government Dock. Skies were pretty dark at the time, affecting photo quality.
Baie Comeau at Sarnia's Government Dock. Skies were pretty dark at the time, affecting photo quality.
Saltie Ocean Castle (Montreal) at the River Crab.
Saltie Ocean Castle (Montreal) at the River Crab.
Saltie Isabelle G, up-bound (Thunder Bay) at Stag Island.
Saltie Isabelle G, up-bound (Thunder Bay) at Stag Island.
Paul A

Unread post by Paul A »

Well you sure get a great group parading by home! Thanks for bringing your great shots of the river to all of us that are far away Dawn!
Bookworm

No chasing ships for me today. Stayed close to home and allowed the river traffic to come to me!
Attachments
According to Marine Traffic AIS, Bockmaster spent quite a bit of the morning running on the river between Sarnia and Marysville.
According to Marine Traffic AIS, Bockmaster spent quite a bit of the morning running on the river between Sarnia and Marysville.
Tim S. Dool (Baie Comeau) on the big curve above Marysville.
Tim S. Dool (Baie Comeau) on the big curve above Marysville.
Thousand footer Mesabi Miner (Superior) entering Chemical Valley.
Thousand footer Mesabi Miner (Superior) entering Chemical Valley.
Saltie Caroline with a deck load of windmill blades for delivery at Bay City. She's in the Sarnia anchorage as I post this.
Saltie Caroline with a deck load of windmill blades for delivery at Bay City. She's in the Sarnia anchorage as I post this.
Calumet (Goderich) at Stag Island, about to meet the down-bound saltie Hilke.
Calumet (Goderich) at Stag Island, about to meet the down-bound saltie Hilke.
Saltie Hilke (Ogdensburg, NY) ends my day.
Saltie Hilke (Ogdensburg, NY) ends my day.
Bookworm

Early morning St. Clair River traffic.
Attachments
John J. Boland (Marysville) passing a small fleet of early morning fishing boats (they were there!) and slowing on approach to the Bluewater Aggregates dock.
John J. Boland (Marysville) passing a small fleet of early morning fishing boats (they were there!) and slowing on approach to the Bluewater Aggregates dock.
John J. Boland, with boom extended, at the Marysville Bluewater Aggregates dock.
John J. Boland, with boom extended, at the Marysville Bluewater Aggregates dock.
Stern view of John J. Boland at the Bluewater Aggregates dock.
Stern view of John J. Boland at the Bluewater Aggregates dock.
Classic freighter Arthur M. Anderson (Calcite) approaching Marysville at Stag Island.
Classic freighter Arthur M. Anderson (Calcite) approaching Marysville at Stag Island.
Tug Sharon M I and barge Huron Spirit (Kingsville, Ontario, Canada) moving through Chemical Valley, with a load of aggregates.
Tug Sharon M I and barge Huron Spirit (Kingsville, Ontario, Canada) moving through Chemical Valley, with a load of aggregates.
Parents protecting their little ones as they enjoy the warm, sunny morning. My first sighting of goslings this spring.
Parents protecting their little ones as they enjoy the warm, sunny morning. My first sighting of goslings this spring.

Unread post by Guest »

Thanks Dawn
Bookworm

An absolutely gorgeous day along the St. Clair River -- so gorgeous that I split my day between photographing ships in the morning and working in my flower beds all afternoon.
Attachments
CSL Niagara (Superior) reflecting morning sun above Marysville.
CSL Niagara (Superior) reflecting morning sun above Marysville.
Algoma Guardian (Superior) off Stag Island.
Algoma Guardian (Superior) off Stag Island.
Great Republic, unloading at the Marine City Aggregates Dock.
Great Republic, unloading at the Marine City Aggregates Dock.
Rails, stairs, doors, lights, lines, angles, marking, stack, flag...
Rails, stairs, doors, lights, lines, angles, marking, stack, flag...
On deck conversation.
On deck conversation.
Walter J. McCarthy (Cleveland) south of Marine City.
Walter J. McCarthy (Cleveland) south of Marine City.
Saltie Industrial Strength (Burns Harbor) passing the River Crab with a cargo of windmill blades.
Saltie Industrial Strength (Burns Harbor) passing the River Crab with a cargo of windmill blades.
Saltie Sinna (Chicago) above Marysville
Saltie Sinna (Chicago) above Marysville
Bookworm

Raindrops keep falling...and falling...and falling... St. Clair River traffic is definitely the bright spot in my day. Hopefully, yours too!
Attachments
Tug Capt. Keith and work barge approach the Malcom Marine Dock.
Tug Capt. Keith and work barge approach the Malcom Marine Dock.
Almost without stopping, tug Capt. Keith takes a new crew member aboard and moves back into the river. Yep, raindrops on my camera lens!
Almost without stopping, tug Capt. Keith takes a new crew member aboard and moves back into the river. Yep, raindrops on my camera lens!
Tug Laura L. VanEnkevort and barge Joseph H. Thompson (Drummond Island). Intensifying wind-driven rain made getting her at all a challenge!
Tug Laura L. VanEnkevort and barge Joseph H. Thompson (Drummond Island). Intensifying wind-driven rain made getting her at all a challenge!
Evans Spirit (Baie Comeau) almost out of Chemical Valley.
Evans Spirit (Baie Comeau) almost out of Chemical Valley.
Kaministiqua (Sorel) entering the big curve above Marysville.
Kaministiqua (Sorel) entering the big curve above Marysville.
c ships

Unread post by c ships »

Very nice bookworm! Without u we would not be seeing how many mariners ply the St Mary's river. Thank u for your excellence.
Bookworm

Anyone living near or sailing on the St. Clair River today was in rain of varying intensity all day. Tomorrow is another day. Maybe the sun will come out from under its soggy cloud blanket!
Attachments
Whitefish Bay (Nanticoke) in a picturesque early morning setting.
Whitefish Bay (Nanticoke) in a picturesque early morning setting.
CSL St. Laurent (Montreal) proudly displaying her colorful, and award-winning mural at Stag Island.
CSL St. Laurent (Montreal) proudly displaying her colorful, and award-winning mural at Stag Island.
Saltie BBC Kibo (Valleyfield) making the big curve above Marysville.
Saltie BBC Kibo (Valleyfield) making the big curve above Marysville.
Algoma Strongfield (Port Colborne) coming out of Chemical Valley.
Algoma Strongfield (Port Colborne) coming out of Chemical Valley.
Algoma Strongfield passing the Marysville Boat Launch
Algoma Strongfield passing the Marysville Boat Launch
Edgar B. Speer (Conneaut) at Stag Island.
Edgar B. Speer (Conneaut) at Stag Island.
Edgar B. Speer super structure and stacks.
Edgar B. Speer super structure and stacks.
American Mariner (Buffalo) approaches the River Crab in steady rain.
American Mariner (Buffalo) approaches the River Crab in steady rain.
Stern view of American Mariner (laid down as Chicago (3) in 1980 - KYS).
Stern view of American Mariner (laid down as Chicago (3) in 1980 - KYS).
Only light sprinkles were falling when Manitowoc (Monroe) got to St. Clair.
Only light sprinkles were falling when Manitowoc (Monroe) got to St. Clair.
Because of the dwindling light, I met Paul R. Tregurtha (Superior) at Marine City. I had transferred the day's photos to my computer, finished editing them, and was about to post them when I heard her salute at Marysville!
Because of the dwindling light, I met Paul R. Tregurtha (Superior) at Marine City. I had transferred the day's photos to my computer, finished editing them, and was about to post them when I heard her salute at Marysville!
Bookworm

Spectacular weather along the St. Clair River today. Noticed, especially along Marine City's riverwalk, the water level is definitely on the rise again and much of the walkway, south of the lighthouse, us already under water!
Attachments
Tug Victory and barge Maumee (Sault Ste. Marie) at Stag Island.
Tug Victory and barge Maumee (Sault Ste. Marie) at Stag Island.
Herbert C. Jackson (Cleveland) at the River Crab on a gorgeous May morning!
Herbert C. Jackson (Cleveland) at the River Crab on a gorgeous May morning!
Stern view of Herbert C. Jackson.
Stern view of Herbert C. Jackson.
Fleet-mates meet above St. Clair and exchange salutes. Note how KEB (in ballast) towers above HCJ, loaded with ore pellets.
Fleet-mates meet above St. Clair and exchange salutes. Note how KEB (in ballast) towers above HCJ, loaded with ore pellets.
Kaye E. Barker continues upbound to Stoneport.
Kaye E. Barker continues upbound to Stoneport.
Saltie Narie (with a stop at Montreal before heading for her destination abroad) sweeps past St. Clair in the afternoon sun.
Saltie Narie (with a stop at Montreal before heading for her destination abroad) sweeps past St. Clair in the afternoon sun.
Mississagi (Meldrum Bay) in choppy water at Marysville.
Mississagi (Meldrum Bay) in choppy water at Marysville.
Tug Dorothy Ann and barge Pathfinder (Goderich) approaching Marine City.
Tug Dorothy Ann and barge Pathfinder (Goderich) approaching Marine City.
Love it when ships display the company flag -- especially this one with its wide stripes of orange, white, and black with the company stack and an outline of the Great Lakes! Prejudiced? Not much!
Love it when ships display the company flag -- especially this one with its wide stripes of orange, white, and black with the company stack and an outline of the Great Lakes! Prejudiced? Not much!
Dorothy Ann and Pathfinder head on up river.
Dorothy Ann and Pathfinder head on up river.
Bookworm

Fog horns at 06:30 and fog not only on the river, but increasingly on the highway, as I drove south -- mistakenly thinking I'd get out of it. So, you have to imagine seeing Edwin H. Gott (Two Harbors), Paul R. Tregurtha (Nanticoke), and Robert S. Pierson (Windsor) and noting their presence by only that fog horn! Rain came and went throughout the day.
Attachments
Paul R. Tregurtha at Mariner's Park, in Marine City. Honest!
Paul R. Tregurtha at Mariner's Park, in Marine City. Honest!
Chemical tug and barge Michigan passing the lower Sarnia fuel dock.
Chemical tug and barge Michigan passing the lower Sarnia fuel dock.
Saltie Federal Beaufort (no destination given) in Chemical Valley.
Saltie Federal Beaufort (no destination given) in Chemical Valley.
Saltie Federal Beaufort and official looking watercraft that circled her but did not impede her progress.
Saltie Federal Beaufort and official looking watercraft that circled her but did not impede her progress.
Saltie Blacky (Thunder Bay) approaching Marysville.
Saltie Blacky (Thunder Bay) approaching Marysville.
Saltie Federal Montreal (Thunder Bay) at Stag Island.
Saltie Federal Montreal (Thunder Bay) at Stag Island.
Saltie BBC Russia (Menominee) approaching Marysville.
Saltie BBC Russia (Menominee) approaching Marysville.
Saltie BBC Russia at the Junction Buoy, as rain returns.
Saltie BBC Russia at the Junction Buoy, as rain returns.
Bookworm

A rainy morning and foggy evening led to some photos with mood.
Attachments
Algoma Buffalo (AIS shows her approaching Goderich at 8:45 p.m.) at Marysville.
Algoma Buffalo (AIS shows her approaching Goderich at 8:45 p.m.) at Marysville.
Algoma Buffalo inching into the Corunna/Shell Fuel Dock to refuel before heading on to her destination.
Algoma Buffalo inching into the Corunna/Shell Fuel Dock to refuel before heading on to her destination.
Chemical tanker Iver Bright left the Sarnia Anchorage and is headed to the lower Sarnia Fuel Dock.
Chemical tanker Iver Bright left the Sarnia Anchorage and is headed to the lower Sarnia Fuel Dock.
Iver Bright partially enveloped in fog as she makes the turn to access the fuel dock.
Iver Bright partially enveloped in fog as she makes the turn to access the fuel dock.
Kaye E. Barker (Ashtabula) above the Bluewater Bridges as last light fades.
Kaye E. Barker (Ashtabula) above the Bluewater Bridges as last light fades.
Bookworm

Photographing ships from my favorite places (without including the ever expanding number of personal watercraft) is becoming a challenge. For just one ship I started at the closest location (1/2 mile from home) and, as it moved into range, a fishing boat drifted toward it and moved along with it. So I went two miles down river, and the same thing happened there. Finally, I was able to get a clear shot of the ship -- 5 miles from home -- but I did!
Attachments
Mighty little tug Paul Luedtke (Frankfort, MI) at Stag Island.
Mighty little tug Paul Luedtke (Frankfort, MI) at Stag Island.
Tug Paul Luedtke and work barge at Stag Island.
Tug Paul Luedtke and work barge at Stag Island.
Saltie Lake Ontario (Montreal) at Stag Island.
Saltie Lake Ontario (Montreal) at Stag Island.
Lake Ontario stern view.
Lake Ontario stern view.
Saltie Amazoneborg (Montreal) approaching the River Crab.
Saltie Amazoneborg (Montreal) approaching the River Crab.
Bookworm

With dreary skies all day yesterday, I didn't have hopes of catching Callaway in good light, but...the skies parted (somewhat) as she approached Marysville. The forecast frost arrived overnight and we expect more tonight. Most of today's traffic was through here within the past week, so I was selective when going to the river.
Attachments
Cason J. Callaway (Marine City Aggregates Dock) with a brisk wind following.
Cason J. Callaway (Marine City Aggregates Dock) with a brisk wind following.
Sunset colors reflect off the clouds as Callaway passes Marysville's Junction Buoy.
Sunset colors reflect off the clouds as Callaway passes Marysville's Junction Buoy.
Baie Comeau (no current destination) above Marysville.
Baie Comeau (no current destination) above Marysville.
Evans Spirit (Thunder Bay) entering Chemical Valley.
Evans Spirit (Thunder Bay) entering Chemical Valley.
Bookworm

Guest in Toledo, thanks so much for your detailed and illustrated reply to my question. Go safe and stay healthy.
Guest in Toledo

Unread post by Guest in Toledo »

The Alouette Spirit has 18 foot high steel walls, Dawn. The front hydraulic ramp, with front and port side doors, make possible the use of end-loaders, and other equipment, inside the steel walls. The canopy is 31 sections of heavy-duty tarpaulin that can retract forward or aft. In Toledo, the barge cargoes include slabs, coils, and grain. Your trips and pictures are greatly appreciated.
Attachments
1-Alouette-Spirit-1-22-12-rn.jpg
2-Alouette-Spirir-1-22-12.jpg
Bookworm

After a night of snow and rain...and more snow and rain.....totally weird, and limited (more or less) to Marysville and St. Clair, the day remained damp and overcast. Tonight and tomorrow night hold the possibility of frost but after that, it looks like Spring may have gotten the upper hand!
Attachments
Tug Karen Andrie and barge Endeavour (Monroe) approaching Stag Island.
Tug Karen Andrie and barge Endeavour (Monroe) approaching Stag Island.
Tug Wilf Seymour and barge Alouette Spirit (Courtwright, Canada) passing Marine City. Can anyone describe what is on the barge? It looks like an old building, but surely there's a better explanation.
Tug Wilf Seymour and barge Alouette Spirit (Courtwright, Canada) passing Marine City. Can anyone describe what is on the barge? It looks like an old building, but surely there's a better explanation.
Edwin H. Gott (Conneaut) from Port Huron's Lighthouse Park.
Edwin H. Gott (Conneaut) from Port Huron's Lighthouse Park.
Frontenac (Superior) looking lovely as she passes above Marysville
Frontenac (Superior) looking lovely as she passes above Marysville
Bookworm

Guest wrote:Dawn, If you have fun today, just imagine what it was like in the 60’s & 70’s with so many more boats and some of the real old time vessels still around. Keep at it!
Guest, I may have experienced a bit of what you referred to, this morning. Robert S. Pierson, who was way behind Federal Leda and Sten Hidra as they crossed Lake St. Clair, was in the lead at Marine City, and down-bound Federal Dart met the parade -- all within eight minutes!
Attachments
Saltie Federal Dart (Montreal) leaves RECOR behind.
Saltie Federal Dart (Montreal) leaves RECOR behind.
Robert S. Pierson (Thessalon, Canada) makes a fine silhouette in the early morning light.
Robert S. Pierson (Thessalon, Canada) makes a fine silhouette in the early morning light.
Saltie Federal Dart and Robert S. Pierson meet above Marine City.
Saltie Federal Dart and Robert S. Pierson meet above Marine City.
Saltie Federal Leda (Chicago) with a break in the clouds, on the eastern horizon.
Saltie Federal Leda (Chicago) with a break in the clouds, on the eastern horizon.
Tanker Sten Hidra (Sarnia) ends the up-bound parade.
Tanker Sten Hidra (Sarnia) ends the up-bound parade.
Saginaw had a flotilla of fishing vessels in attendance as she made her turn to access the Sarnia aggregates dock.
Saginaw had a flotilla of fishing vessels in attendance as she made her turn to access the Sarnia aggregates dock.
Algoma Sault (Toronto) above Marysville.
Algoma Sault (Toronto) above Marysville.
Saltie Fuldaborg (Casablanca) at Marysville.
Saltie Fuldaborg (Casablanca) at Marysville.
Bookworm

Saltie traffic has kept the water moving on the St. Clair River, and speaking of water, the level is rising again.
Attachments
Saltie Federal Welland (Thunder Bay) at Marysville mid-morning.
Saltie Federal Welland (Thunder Bay) at Marysville mid-morning.
Ojibway (Windsor) above the Bluewater Bridges.
Ojibway (Windsor) above the Bluewater Bridges.
Saltie Finnborg (Chicago) off Lakeside Park, Port Huron.
Saltie Finnborg (Chicago) off Lakeside Park, Port Huron.
Tug Olive L. Moore and barge Menominee (Stoneport) entering Lake Huron above the Bluewater Bridges.
Tug Olive L. Moore and barge Menominee (Stoneport) entering Lake Huron above the Bluewater Bridges.
Chemical tanker/barge Norman McLeod at Sarnia.
Chemical tanker/barge Norman McLeod at Sarnia.
Saltie Federal Mosel (Montreal) at Stag Island.
Saltie Federal Mosel (Montreal) at Stag Island.
Stack and superstructure of Federal Mosel.
Stack and superstructure of Federal Mosel.
Up-bound Tanker Ebony Ray (Sarnia) at the River Crab.
Up-bound Tanker Ebony Ray (Sarnia) at the River Crab.
Down-bound Herbert C. Jackson (Dearborn) also at the River Crab.
Down-bound Herbert C. Jackson (Dearborn) also at the River Crab.
Saltie Sunda (Superior) at Marysville.
Saltie Sunda (Superior) at Marysville.
Superstructure and stack of Sunda.
Superstructure and stack of Sunda.
Bookworm

Winter and Spring are fighting for prominence along the St. Clair River today. Sunshine, then snow squalls with bone chilling winds from the north alternated all afternoon, but these photos may warm your spirits -- if viewed with a mug of something hot to drink!
Attachments
Federal Barents (Burns Harbor) above Marysville on a cloudy and windy Friday morning.
Federal Barents (Burns Harbor) above Marysville on a cloudy and windy Friday morning.
Wind-driven, feathery snowflakes tumble around Federal Kumano (Quebec) as she passes the Junction Buoy, at Marysville.
Wind-driven, feathery snowflakes tumble around Federal Kumano (Quebec) as she passes the Junction Buoy, at Marysville.
Algoma Sault (Corunna/Shell Fuel Dock) had been totally obliterated by the snow for over fifteen minutes.
Algoma Sault (Corunna/Shell Fuel Dock) had been totally obliterated by the snow for over fifteen minutes.
Algoma Sault, only five minutes later.
Algoma Sault, only five minutes later.
American Spirit (Two Harbors) emerges from the squalls at Marysville.
American Spirit (Two Harbors) emerges from the squalls at Marysville.
Tug Joyce L. VanEnkevort (with a posted destination of Cleveland) apparently got turned around in the blustery weather, but came into sunlight at Marysville.
Tug Joyce L. VanEnkevort (with a posted destination of Cleveland) apparently got turned around in the blustery weather, but came into sunlight at Marysville.