Multiple limestone stops to load

Discussion board focusing on Great Lakes Shipping Question & Answer. From beginner to expert all posts are welcome.

Re: Multiple limestone stops to load

Post by Guest »

We used to load a sand product at Port Dolomite, unload at Stoneport on the dock. The product we delivered was then blended with another sand from Stoneport and reloaded into us.
Denny wrote:Not so sure if this works today or not but I remember years ago and forgotten what fleet it was, they would let's say load at one of the stone places and then they would go to another drop that load off and then reload at the same port. Not sure why that was done that way but, surely somebody with more knowledge than I have on this will know the real deal on this. Also years ago I remember and I think it was ASC but don't quote me on this, would load up at Stoneport with a half load and then finish or top it off later on up at Drummond Island and then sail I think it was to Cleveland where it would then unload if that makes sense? Haven't seen or heard of this run being done in a long time now. The ASC river-class ships were the ones that mostly used to do that run I am almost fairly certain on but again, I don't recall how long ago it was that they did that run seems a few years ago now. Hope all of this helps!
Denny

Post by Denny »

Not so sure if this works today or not but I remember years ago and forgotten what fleet it was, they would let's say load at one of the stone places and then they would go to another drop that load off and then reload at the same port. Not sure why that was done that way but, surely somebody with more knowledge than I have on this will know the real deal on this. Also years ago I remember and I think it was ASC but don't quote me on this, would load up at Stoneport with a half load and then finish or top it off later on up at Drummond Island and then sail I think it was to Cleveland where it would then unload if that makes sense? Haven't seen or heard of this run being done in a long time now. The ASC river-class ships were the ones that mostly used to do that run I am almost fairly certain on but again, I don't recall how long ago it was that they did that run seems a few years ago now. Hope all of this helps!
dayooper77

Post by dayooper77 »

So an example of what I was referring to is the Wilfred Sykes, according to the Port Report on the News Page, is loading in Cedarville and Port Inland on Saturday and Sunday. I assume that it is a partial load at each unless they are unloading somewhere in between or Sykes is faster than I thought.
garbear

Post by garbear »

I know it's used in western MN and the Dakotas when processing sugar beets.
Lakercapt

Post by Lakercapt »

Limestone is also used in the production of acetylene gas and paper. It is also used by farmers
dayooper77

Post by dayooper77 »

Thanks much for the info!
JFB

Post by JFB »

Limestone (Calcium Carbonate) has different crystalline structures which effect its properties in industrial uses, some forms make better cement, others are used as aggregate, and some as fluxstone in chemical processes such as making steel. In addition there is Dolomite which is also called Dolomitic Limestone (Calcium Magnesium Carbonate). The various quarries produce different types of Limestone, some of which are mixed and some not depending on the final use.
Jon Paul

Post by Jon Paul »

I had hoped by know that someone more knowledgeable would have answered your question, lol.
Limestone is used in many different industries and ways. In the Great Lakes area it is used mainly as a fluxing agent in the making of steel, in the chemical making process, cement products and construction. Different types and grades of limestone are used in each different application.
My experience in hauling it we loaded 2 different sized grades of limestone from the same loading port into different cargo holds and moved the self unloading boom to deposit each different type in separate piles on the delivery dock.
I've seen where the Sykes and the Block have taken split loads from Port Inland and Cedarville on the same trip. Those are both Dolomite Limestone docks and I'm not sure the purpose of that.
dayooper77

Multiple limestone stops to load

Post by dayooper77 »

Forgive me if this is obvious but why do boats stop at multiple quarries to make one load? Is it a supply issue or a mix of materials desired or just multiple loads for different destinations?
Maybe I am missing something.