Update from Denny

Open forum for regional discussion. (extension of the Information Search page for off topic & personal discussion)
Denny

Re: Update from Denny

Unread post by Denny »

For anyone that’s been reading this post and I’ve seen a few of you all but not 100% satisfied yet as I’d like to see and read more from you all as far as your comments here. Ok so I don’t post photos here though like Bookworm does but, that’s because first I’ve never done it and I am not familiar with how it works. Second there’s the time factor as now with my Mom gone two years already next week, I have lots more to do now and more responsibility than ever as you might expect and imagine and it’s not always easy. Third and finally there’s photo editing always to do on photos after they’re taken. Unless somebody can help as far as the straightening of photos and color adjusting, then I may be in at that point and someday consider sending some in. As for now all I do is take pictures out at the river, look at them briefly and quickly and then wait until Winter when most of the shipping and Yes the websites slow down. That’s when I have more free time than now obviously to work on my photos and anything else. So I say to one and all when the ships stop in the winter and the locks close, don’t cry and complain as for some like me it is much needed break and catchup time for me and I enjoy the down time to do so. Moving on, it’s been a busy month so far here for August at the river and I’m anticipating one of the busiest weeks for me in a very long time up at the river this week. Lots going on and I am trying to see and get in as much action as I can this month before the Fall and cooler weather sets in. Gotta take advantage of these days now while they last. I can give you one only piece of good news as now I have FINALLY made it to double digit territory on my river trip totals as now I’ve gotten ten trips for the year 2019 which ties my number from all of 2018. So I ask you boatnerds in this post, “Where are you and what’s next for me in 2019?” Well I think I can see into my crystal ball, a comeback this year as with ten river trips now, that means that I am half way home to a 20 or more trip season on the river and I’m ready and hungry for it this year. The last time I got 20 or more was back in 2017 so after a down year last year, this year I’m ready to climb up the mountain again and get back on top. The journey is well underway now!
Denny

Unread post by Denny »

Hi Howard and thanks as always for your comments along with your words of encouragement as they’re always appreciated. Indeed I am doing my best to keep my chin up and stay positive and know along with realizing that bigger and better days lie ahead of me at the river. Fall is not far away and at that point I know the traffic will be picking up especially during the Fall grain rush! Haven’t seen very many Salties yet this year as I’m long overdue to see a few. As for not seeing Tim S. Door yet this year, I too have yet to see her as well along with the John D. Leitch this year. Haven’t seen too many Algoma’s or CSL’s as I still have lots of them including Lower Lakes ships yet to see. In adding to my list I’ve yet to see Sam Laud, Indiana Harbor, American Mariner along with the Presque Isle and Roger Blough to name a few of those. The Blough and Presque Isle just don’t come down here as much as they used to. The American Mariner, I have seen it since 2015 and the Indiana Harbor I haven’t seen on the river since 2017 yet I saw it once at the Soo last year. Sam Laud I haven’t seen on the river since 2017! As for our dear friend Dan McNeil, I haven’t seen and heard from him in quite a while now and hope he’s doing well. He’s had his share as well with some health issues and hope everything is okay with our friend. You take care Howard and everyone else as well that reads this post!
Howard Sprague

Unread post by Howard Sprague »

Keep your chin up Denny and remember that "better days are ahead!" Things will get better, and of course the weather will get better and you'll get back to the river and get lots of salutes from the Big PRT and Captain Bob! I myself haven't been to the river in several weeks which is a shame because we still haven't seen the Tim S. Dool in her "new blue paint" and we still need to see the Algoma Buffalo too. Do you know what happened to our friend Dan McNeil? I haven't seen him post on here in a long time. Take care Denny my friend!
Denny

Unread post by Denny »

Thanks Mopar Tim as I am indeed hanging in there this weekend as best as I can for now. Been checking out the weather Apps for next week and also the MERC schedule on the PRT and so far great news for both of them. So far next week the weather is improving and even better than that, next Friday so far anyway the PRT will be coming down during the late afternoon around dinner time. As long as she holds to that course and time, photo opps of her then should be outstanding. I’m thinking that next Friday in St. Clair maybe Friday night concert night and that would be awesome if the PRT comes down during a concert then and Captain Bob lets her rip on the horn salute. Keep crossing your fingers in that one though! Thanks again Tim for your nice thoughts along with your comments as they’re greatly appreciated.
mopar tim

Unread post by mopar tim »

Hang in there Denny my friend your doing just fine this year from the sounds of it. I haven't been down to the river in over a year do to health issues hope I can soon been thinking about a new camera.
Denny

Unread post by Denny »

Well boatnerds and everyone that read this post, it's been a rough and tough week for me at the river with a one and done trip for this week as we had some issues this week trying to do a two trip this week but unfortunately it just wasn't meant to be this week and next week maybe another one and done trip possibly all right now depending on the weather as far as any rain and storms in the first half of the week. To prove my point to all of you, on Tuesday I got caught in rain and storms while up on the river and let me tell you all something. It is definitely NOT easy trying to drive in the rain as that was one of my hardest things to do on Tuesday night was driving 35-40 miles one way in that stuff. Now you can see why I try to avoid the river in any type of inclement weather if I know in advance they are calling for rain or something bad out there at least. This weekend is a rough and tough one for me as I would love to be up there and especially to see the PRT coming down on Saturday but, due to the St. Clair Offshore Power Boats and races up there all weekend long that area is a definite no for me as I try to avoid that area by all means every year when that comes up. I found out this week about the Tall Ships in Sarnia for the weekend of August 9-11 and I definitely plan to be out there that weekend weather permitting of course as always to try and see them. Right now it looks like I will end July with only 3 river trips this year. Not one of my better July's on the river but I usually don't do well during the summer months anyway as far as in June, July and August due mainly with the weather as far as the heat and humidity and all the summer time events on the river as I try to avoid big events and weekends up there when I know that those things are going on. That's why the Fall/Autumn season is so important and crucial for me to do well up on the river and try to get out as much as I can out of it and get as many trips out there as I can. The Spring months as far as April and May have just been absolutely horrible for me through the years as I haven't had a good April since 2010 and May the last time I had a good May was in 2013. I have NOT had much luck starting up the river during the Spring the last few years I have started more in the Fall Season than in the Spring. With this year starting in May, this was the first time I had done that since back in 2013 believe it or not but lots has happen since that time and I don't think I need to go there and tell you all about that as just look back two years ago and that will tell you all you need to know. In case anyone is wondering about me and my all time favorite the PRT this year, believe it or not I have only seen them once all year and that is definitely unheard of for me to only see them once! Hopefully I will get lucky and see them again at some point this year and get another grand salute I hope from Captain Bob. Any encouraging words and thoughts from anyone reading this post are appreciated. I know a few of you out there that read this such as Howard Sprague and Mopar Tim have often commented along with Garbear, Bookworm and I haven't seen my good and dear friend Dan McNeil in quite some time on here. So again, any comments and encouraging words are more than appreciated as I could sure use some right now especially as now I'm going into the time next month on it being two years that my Mom left. Right now I have no plans as far as a trip to the Soo like last year so, I know that the day will be hard for me when it arrives and somehow I'll get through it as I did last year and maybe a river trip no matter what ship or boat is out there that day might just be a good thing for me. Take care everyone and I'll be in touch and keep this post updated when I can and have the time to do so. My next update I'll have a report from this week's river trip and a few that I saw and how things went out there then.
Denny

Unread post by Denny »

Well everyone Denny's Summer Fury was released last week as you all know by now on Tuesday as last week we did our first trip to the river for the month of July and was not disappointed as I saw 10 boats last Tuesday and this tied my total of 10 set back on May 21 my first trip for the 2019 season. There were no footers seen on Tuesday at the river but, nine out of the ten ships seen were ones I had not seen all year so far. It's gets even better than that folks as we did two trips last week just as we had planned, wanted and were expected to do! The boat gods if you will saw us coming last week and didn't disappoint us in the least as it worked out jus like the good 'ole days with a Tuesday and Friday river trip and although it doesn't always work out, I often tell people that if you want to see boats and lots of them then you'd better get to the river somehow and way on a Friday as I've done it for 27 years and usually but again not always I can see at least 10 or more ships on a Friday. So, my point is last week Friday does 11 ships on a Friday sound like a good day as it sure does to me! I added two more of the 1,000-footers to my list and are now up to nine seen on the St. Clair River for the 2019 shipping season. I only have three left to see on the river and that is the Presque Isle, Indiana Harbor and the American Century. The Presque Isle of the three will be one of the hardest ones to get as she doesn't come down here as much as she used to now that she's hauling lots of ore to Lake Michigan ports and destinations. Overall there are four 1,000 footers yet to see this year and you can add in the Cort to the other three that I had listed. However, the Cort though unfortunately does not come this way and hasn't in many years and NO I won't be making it up to the Soo this year like last year so I won't be seeing the Cort this year at least but I saw it last year though. It was sort of neat as the two 1,000 footers I added last week were the Mesabi Miner and the American Spirit and if you do the years they were built it was ironic as the Miner was built in 1977 and was followed about an hour or so later by American Spirit built in 1978. I also got lucky and saw the Algoma Buffalo for the first time ever since they had renamed her last season. Got a great photos again with the new camera and NO I won't be able to post them here or share them as I just don't have the time to sit down and edit them now. That is done during the winter months when shipping is at a standstill and then I have more time to work on photo editing and that sort of stuff with them and besides its a great way for me to pass up the long hard Winter Days and it also occupies my free time during the Winter months as well and makes it go by quicker and fast as well. So I've now been to the river 7 times so far for the 2019 season and have seen lots of boats and many good ones as well in just a short amount of time spent up there. As Bookworm has said in her photos from the river and I totally agree with here, the water now on the St. Clair River is indeed within inches from the top of the Seawall and Boardwalk in St. Clair and it doesn't take much now to get a surge and wall of water hitting the Seawall and crashing over the top and sending folks scrambling for safety now and not having yourself get all wet. I've gotten my feet wet up to my ankles and even my shoes have gotten all wet a few times being out there now already. What concerns me though with the high water levels on the river, "Just what are they gonna do in a few weeks then as they will be having the Off-Shore Power Boat Races up in St. Clair and those boats run up and down the river between 100-200 mph as surely they'll be creating havoc and large waves coming up to the Seawall and beyond it in St. Clair in a couple of weeks from now that is!" It will sure be interesting to see then how the water will work then. Also, if the levels stay like this at least until Fall then it will be interesting as we get into Fall with the Storms and more Winds then as we could really have the water going over the tops of the Seawalls along the river. It will be worth watching that is for certain. Take care everyone and stay cool and safe this week and remember to drink fluids, stay hydrated and check on your family, friends and neighbors and especially your pets as well too!
Denny

Unread post by Denny »

Hi Marc and Yes I agree with you as I like Summer Fury as well but right now I don't think I am getting much Summer Fury out at the river due to heat and humidity we've been having so far here this summer. Rather instead, I think Mother Nature is the one here that is doing all of the Summer Fury instead of me. Today we had highs in the upper 80s close to 90 with the humidity back. We get a much needed break from it for Thursday and Friday before it hits us yet again this Saturday. Next week is brutal as we have about two days where it will be 92-93 degrees next week. I am so tired of constantly watering flowers and my lawn here as it's been so dry here with not much rain. Wouldn't you know as we got all of our rain in May and some of June and now as we're into July it's really drying out big time now. My poor AC right now is working overtime.
MarcE

Unread post by MarcE »

Summer Fury. I like that name!

I am not looking forward to the humidity! 111 here today and even with no humidity, its torture!
Good luck with the camera, and live it up at the river my friend!
Denny

Unread post by Denny »

A new update for all of you on my Summer Fury at the St. Clair River for this summer. According to the latest Weather Reports on my Weather Apps I have, the heat and humidity return yet again for next week so it looks like I will achieve my goal in part for this week as far as making the river twice in a week and it will be the first time that I will achieve that for this year. Although it will still give me 7 total trips to the St. Clair River for 2019 and still below the 2018 season total of 10 that I had. From the looks of the long range forecast, this may be the last I see of the St. Clair River for quite some time until we get some relief in the heat after next week anyway. Right now I'm just going to try and enjoy what I can of this week at the river as so far so good it's been a great start and hope on my next trip out there this weekend that I can do just as good as I did on the Tuesday trip this week. I also may have finally gotten some bugs fixed on my new camera as well for the latest trip to the river. The file sizes for my photos were much too small and I wanted to enlarge them but try to get them below a 1-2 MG size. Well that didn't work as I tried to increase the size and change the size dimensions for the photos on my camera if I am making sense with you all on this? Well needless to say that this is what the camera has been needing all year and it's just a shame and bummer it's taken this long to learn the ins and outs and to get the bugs worked out of it. Yesterday's photos after changing the settings and file dimensions, may have been some of my best if not the best photos that I've taken so far for the 2019 season out on the river. I'm hoping later this summer to get ship photos with cloud formations in them as I just love to see clouds in my photos and I'm sure that Mr. Roger of Know Your Ships agrees with me as clouds make a huge difference in your photos and that's what I am hoping to see and get at the river this summer. Can't wait until the next St. Clair River Trip. Looking forward to it and hopefully seeing lots more ships along the river and photographing them as well!
Denny

Unread post by Denny »

Well with the Summer here and things heating up and here we are in the month of July and also me celebrating yet another birthday last week, what could be better than a day at the river with last week's yuck and ugly heat and humidity. Well after nearly a two week layoff from the river thanks in part due to the extreme heat and humidity last week, I can proudly say that the Boys of Summer were back in town today. Also to everyone that reads this I have said that my themes for the river are Spring Hunger, Summer Fury and Autumn Thunder. Well I said that at the beginning of this July I am christening Summer Fury. Needless to say my first trip out to the river for July and boy did I unleash the Fury today at the river! Count them boatnerds "10 ships in one day and nine out of the ten I saw were ones I haven't seen all year long up until now today!" You can now say that Denny has indeed unleashed his full fury upon the St. Clair River now and the fire, passion and desire now will continue to intensify and increase as we go throughout the Summer months. For the season now we've made six official river trips still well below last year's season total of 10 but at some point I know that I will be passing the 10 mark this year. As for the countdown to 500 river trips, today's trip was 461 and we are now at 39 and counting and I expect it will be and take at least one or possibly two more seasons at the best to accomplish that goal of 500 trips to the St. Clair River. I still everytime I make the river this year, am in complete amazement over the high water levels on the St. Clair River as I've never seen anything like it. It's just too bad and a shame that family and friends that have left are not here to see and witness history as they wouldn't believe it themselves how high the water is now. We did get one salute today though from the H. Lee White but, not so from the Herbert C. Jackson as I don't seem to ever get a salute from her anymore unfortunately like I used to. It's a shame as Herbie as I like to call her as always been a true classic and favorite of mine and she always will be. Last year if anyone recalls and remembers watching NFL Football games, you would often see a commercial from the teams and it had a saying of "Be Ready and Get Ready!" Well now that I have unleashed Summer Fury on the St. Clair River I must asked all of you boatnerds that read this "Are you all ready because if not then get ready as my Summer Fury has been unleashed and there's no stopping it now." Enjoy your summer everyone and the boats also!
Denny

Unread post by Denny »

Hi Garbear and thanks for responding and your encouraging words as well. So nice to hear from you my friend and hope that you are doing well especially with your new apartment. Hope that you are also doing well with your PT as well. I think about how you are doing often my friend and I enjoy and appreciate your port reports as well. They are very helpful especially this year as I've missed so many arrivals and departures thanks of course to Marine Traffic NOT keeping their information past 24 hours! Hope that you get to see some good ship action this year up in Two Harbors and YES I do agree that it would be nice to see the new Algoma Conveyor up in your neck of the woods in Two Harbors hopefully at some point soon. I think the Algoma Sault if I am correct has yet to make any visits up there as well from what you've told me and mentioned in the past? I'm doing well BTW and sorry if I came on too strong with my comments yesterday to everyone and not trying to offend anybody here as you've all been great and helpful and I thank and appreciate all of you very much. Well I've ran into yet another bump with my new camera as now I have to find a way to enlarge my photo sizes as they are way too small in KB sizes and I want to go up just a bit larger but not too big and large as I can't have them too large. I have one set the first set to where I used the camera in February and I adjusted those to where they are all at just over 1 MB and that's not bad but, I'd like to come down just a small bit but don't know how or what I do to do it? Looks like I'm gonna have to talk to somebody in the next week or so or else do a You Tube search on it. I do wish my old camera could've been fixed as then I wouldn't have those issues with file sizes and I still do believe it could've been fixed if I had just found the right place to do the work but, there's not too many repair places around my area and the cost to do it I would be best off then just spending that on a whole new camera instead. I'll get the hang of it at some point and it may take me a long time to get there. The photos in the meantime all look great but the big challenge is trying to get the camera to center on the ship without cutting it off from one side or the other. In time I'll get the bugs worked out on it though.
Howard Sprague

Unread post by Howard Sprague »

Hello Denny my friend, I'm sorry I haven't responded but I have been so busy with five trips to the river since the beginning of May as well as planning my trip to the Soo next week. I'm so happy to hear that Spring Hunger is off to such a great start for you, and that you got a salute from Big PRT! I'm not sure about you but I used to get more salutes when Captain Mitch and Captain Timmy were on the PRT than I do now. I'm glad you also got to see the Algoma Conveyor and hope you'll consider sharing some of your photos. Perhaps if you email them to [email protected] they can resize them and attach them to your post?
garbear

Unread post by garbear »

Denny wrote:In viewing my comments and post, I see that it’s been five days now and plenty of people reading my comments but no replies yet and also no response either. Seems a bit odd especially when I mentioned about getting the Paul R. Tregurtha to give me my first salute of the year from Captain Bob! I can well imagine and think then what many are probably thinking then “What else is new right?” Okay maybe, but at least I saw the Algoma Conveyor as my first boat for 2019 and No that wasn’t planned or expected by me. I consider being at the right place and the right time for that one. It hasn’t been an easy Spring and year for me folks so far with lots of frustrations. After getting only 10 trips last year and 21 in 2017, I begin to wonder now at my ripe young age yet if my time has come and gone? I still want to prove to the boatnerds all out there that although I’m in my 40s and getting old and battling health issues, that I still got some gas in the tanks yet and that the fire inside of me still burns bright and strong for our passion along with our hobby. So I know that some of you like Howard Sprague, Bookworm, Garbear and Daniel McNeil are all reading this along with many others. How about some words of encouragement folks as I’m in the fight of my life now to get things turned around and to get my year on the river back to where it should be. I’ll post more from the river trips when I make it there soon. I’ll have plenty to share with you all at that point then.

Sorry I haven't answered sooner, but I'll still trying to get used to my new apartment and I just finished up with PT. Hope all is well with you. Hang in there, my friend. When you get the chance, make it to the river. Glad you got a salute from Captain Bob. Also pleased you got the Algoma Conveyor. Hopefully she'll make it up here this year. With all the Algoma boats loading in Two Harbors, one would hope so. Have to think about turning in. Happy to know you've made it to the river. Gary
Denny

Unread post by Denny »

In viewing my comments and post, I see that it’s been five days now and plenty of people reading my comments but no replies yet and also no response either. Seems a bit odd especially when I mentioned about getting the Paul R. Tregurtha to give me my first salute of the year from Captain Bob! I can well imagine and think then what many are probably thinking then “What else is new right?” Okay maybe, but at least I saw the Algoma Conveyor as my first boat for 2019 and No that wasn’t planned or expected by me. I consider being at the right place and the right time for that one. It hasn’t been an easy Spring and year for me folks so far with lots of frustrations. After getting only 10 trips last year and 21 in 2017, I begin to wonder now at my ripe young age yet if my time has come and gone? I still want to prove to the boatnerds all out there that although I’m in my 40s and getting old and battling health issues, that I still got some gas in the tanks yet and that the fire inside of me still burns bright and strong for our passion along with our hobby. So I know that some of you like Howard Sprague, Bookworm, Garbear and Daniel McNeil are all reading this along with many others. How about some words of encouragement folks as I’m in the fight of my life now to get things turned around and to get my year on the river back to where it should be. I’ll post more from the river trips when I make it there soon. I’ll have plenty to share with you all at that point then.
Denny

Unread post by Denny »

Well everyone you’ll be happy to know that 2019 is starting off in very Grand Fashion and at the rate things are going so far, maybe it’s time I either play the lottery and win the mega millions jackpot or else put some investments into a ship drawing. So far the new Algoma Conveyor was my first official ship for 2019 and on its first ever trip up the river a couple of weeks ago. It gets better and check it out as our first official salute in 2019 just came from none other than the Paul R. Tregurtha and Captain Bob! What a way to get the 2019 season started as I’m just so excited and pumped up and I wanna keep this thing going. That is why I came up with Spring Hunger as you betcha I’m hungry for more action here on the river and hopefully more horn salutes. The new camera btw is working out well but, it’s still got it challenges such as trying to take a straight photo and also trying to center the photos as well. Fortunately it’s gone well but, during the fall season will be the big test with the cold weather sorry to say and winds. The winds are always a challenge trying to hold the camera steady and straight. We will just have to wait and see how it goes. So far I’ve seen 3 of the footers this year in only two trips here so not a bad start. Howard Sprague my ‘ole friend and many others that read this, hope you’re enjoying this post!

Unread post by Guest »

This is certainly great news Denny and I hope you have many more successful trips to the river this year!

Perhaps you'd consider posting some of your photos on MarineTraffic for us all to enjoy?
Denny

Unread post by Denny »

Well everyone you'll all be happy to know that in the words of a very famous song which I'm sure some of you have heard and know very well "The Boys were back in town!" Yes folks the boys were back today for the first official time with many more to come in 2019. Today we officially kicked off the 2019 season and boy did we strike gold today on the river. Check it out as we saw 10 today and not a bad start. The list of vessels are impressive but I won't list them all only a few. Never in a million years would you guess and expect this as far as "Who was the first ship officially to start for the 2019 season?" No it wasn't the Paul R. Tregurtha in case you were wondering but, can it get any better though as far as the first ship of the year than the "brand new Algoma Conveyor on its first ever trip and voyage up the St. Clair River?" If you said Yes than you guessed correctly as "How appropriate and ironic than to have them be our first ship for 2019?" It gets better folks believe me as later in the day her fleetmate the Algoma Niagara was also upbound on the river and passed the downbound American Integrity in St. Clair which was a sight to see. Point is, other than this winter in lay-up, it was the first ever time seeing Algoma Niagara on the St. Clair River. Got two footers both the Integrity and later the Wally Mac as well. Ended the day and evening with both the CSL Welland and the State of Michigan upbound as well. Overall, a great way and day and finally getting it started up for the 2019 campaign. It was our 27th season start up and also our 456th river trip with 44 and counting to 500 which I expect will be sometime in the next 2-3 years. Finally, it was the official start up and christening of "Operation Spring Hunger or simply just known as Spring Hunger!" So, if you're asking me after today first trip to the river "Are you hungry for more?" Then why do you think folks I came up with that title then as that's exactly the definition and the meaning of Spring Hunger! You bet I'm hungry for more action.
Mr Link

Unread post by Mr Link »

Denny,

I completely forgot that with my current digital camera, you can charge the battery in the camera just by hooking up a USB cable. So I bought one of those USB adapters that goes into a power port in your car and I can charge the battery while driving.
Mr Link

Unread post by Mr Link »

Denny, I share your frustration with specialized batteries for any kind of electronics. They should be standardized and even made compatible with standard non-rechargeable batteries if at all possible. But I think batteries are a real money maker for camera manufacturers, so they all seem to adopt their own, non interchangeable batteries.

A few suggestions:

1) Buy some spare batteries, when the camera is new, or only a few years old. You often can;'t find spare batteries for older cameras, at least new spare batteries. I've found that off brands, that you can find on Amazon or through online stores work just as well as the camera brand batteries (as long as they meet all the technical requirements like voltage and amperage specified by the camera manufacturer.)

2) Often you can find chargers that will work on 12 volts so you can keep one battery charging in your car while you are driving around looking for boats. If not, you can get an inexpensive low amperage inverter that will power a 110/120 volt charger in your car.

3) In cold weather keep your spare batteries warm. Keep them in a heated car, or in your pocket. Warm batteries last longer. In desperate times, when I had two dying batteries, I have been able to get one shot out of each by warming them up in my pocket.

Enjoy the new camera. And with the prices of memory cards continuing to fall, you probably don't need to worry about deleting photos right away. Videos maybe, but individual photos don;t fill up memory cards very fast.