Update from Denny

Open forum for regional discussion. (extension of the Information Search page for off topic & personal discussion)
Denny

Re: Update from Denny

Unread post by Denny »

Haven’t started the 2019 campaign just yet. Waiting on some better and warmer weather before starting up. Also, I’m still trying to find the time to work out my new camera yet and read up on it. I still haven’t had the time yet to sit down and figure out two major things with it first and that is trying to delete a photo after you take one and second is how to turn off the red eye feature when using the flash on a person or else an animal. The thing that scares and worries me most with the new camera though is the batteries. My new camera no longer takes and uses any type of AA battery as now it’s a rechargeable battery that has to be on a charger and charged up every so often. The old camera I liked best as if I ever needed batteries, I could always go to any store and get them and you never had to charge them up. Not so today with the new types of cameras I guess. Just have to keep the batteries charged up any time I go up to the river now I guess. We’ll keep you all posted on things.
Howard Sprague

Unread post by Howard Sprague »

Hello Denny,

I am not sure if you follow this thread my friend but I do want to say that I hope the 2019 season is off to a great start for you! You take care my friend!
wp7987

Unread post by wp7987 »

sometimes retirement is a GOOD thing enjoy yourself

Unread post by Guest »

Hello Mr. Denny. I am not sure if you read these posts anymore but I do hope that you are doing well and that your Christmas was great!
Howard Sprague

I hope you are doing well, Denny, my friend!
c ships

Unread post by c ships »

Yes times have changed here. I read catch up. Denny I watched the ceremony of lights being lit in a park at Duluth. Spectacular! Maybe that will get a few boats festive for the upcoming holidays. I look forward to getting up there. Not seeing much for the fall grain rush. Nice to see the footers all taking turns in different ports. Again it seems not the same, we all must be getting old, bored with the same old same old as a sailor has mentioned. Denny thanks for all your input here. We are not in winter layup yet.
Ohio Bob

Unread post by Ohio Bob »

Denny - I have always enjoyed reading your posts. They reminded me of some of the earlier days of this board when people expressed their personality and many, many friendships were built. I'm not sure if these changes are the result of differing social medias or changes in societal norms... just know some of us "Old School" people appreciate your efforts.

I for one, long for the days of Lady Pirate, The Carrot Cake Lady (hold the nuts), counting trees at the Soo, eating Big C's and MOADS, waterskiing behind the Ryerson, and the NQFC Carver and the fiery redheaded mechanic.
E J B

Denny

Unread post by E J B »

Denny just saw your latest update.......not the update I was hoping for.
I, for one enjoy your posts and look forward to them. I find your information to be timely and relevant. Please reconsider....
Bookworm

Denny

Unread post by Bookworm »

Denny, please E-mail me.
You have my email address.
Denny

Unread post by Denny »

Just to let everyone know, I’ve decided to abandon my posts here thus this will be my last update for a while and maybe a long one? I just don’t feel like my contributions matter and mean as much as they did. So I’m walking away for a while and again don’t know how long but I feel it’s better all around this way. I’m most disappointed in the fact that for 12 years I’ve taken digital photos and don’t know what to do about them and No I’m not on Facebook nor will I ever be and that’s the last place I want to see them at period! Wish we still had the old ways of doing the photos with the News Photo Galleries as that was the best and easy IMO as I’m not a big fan of Facebook. I also wish that someday I could show some of my digital shots at the Maritime Center sort of like what’s done at the Welland gatherings when you guys have a slide show and night for them. I feel strongly that in 12 years of doing digital film, “What am I gaining and the benefits of it as I’ve only had a photo in the Know Your Ships once, a few here on boatnerd and the DSN website and that’s it!” I’m just a private enthusiasts and photographer and I’m never going to be big and popular like some of you all are and that’s why I feel it’s time to leave for a while and move on to other things in life as my time as a boatnerd here has come and gone! Thanks for the memories.
Denny

Unread post by Denny »

Thanks Howard but it doesn’t look good on the weather front as I see tomorrow and Saturday are both out with snow showers and rain both in the forecast and I don’t drive in that type of weather. I agree though as I would love to see the Sykes on the river as well especially since I have not seen her since 2005 and I don’t have her yet on digital film only on 35mm film right now. Just wish the Sykes though and the Block both would make more trips down here in the Spring and Summer months rather than late Fall and Winter! I caught the Sykes twice in 1998 in the Spring and the Block I caught that same year out on the river back in July. The Block I have not seen it since 2006 at the Soo with my Mom!
Howard Sprague

Sorry to hear that your Autumn Thunder is not going so well this year Denny. Hopefully you will be able to "see and photograph" the Wilfred Sykes when she comes back up the St. Clair River?
Denny

Unread post by Denny »

In adding to my list of vessels so far at least that I have not seen in 2018 and probably will not see are the Algoma Buffalo and the CSL St-Laurent along with the CSL Welland to name a few. As far as the CSL St-Laurent, this one I am dying to see since she still has the Sea Keepers Mural painted on her. One of the places I have not seen and photographed her with that so far is in Port Huron at the Bluewater Bridge and also in both directions both downbound and also upbound. I sure do hope and pray that at least they end up keeping that mural on her next season and that they don't paint it off of her anytime soon. Over the course of time I will most likely add ships to this list that I have not seen so far in 2018 and may not see this season. Until then this is just a short list of some of the "High Priority ships on my list to see." Curious of knowing from others out there, "What ships have others not seen this year?" Over the course of time, I will make up a new post with that exact question as I would be curious of finding out from others just what ships they have not seen this year. Until then Stay Warm and Safe everyone this weekend and beyond. 3 Long and 2 Short to you all.
Denny

Unread post by Denny »

Just letting you all know about my fall season on the St. Clair River in case many have been wondering and asking lately. Unfortunately it has not gone near as well as last year as so far for Fall/Autumn 2018 I have only made the river 8 times which is far below where I was at last year at this time. Believe it or not folks I have not made the river since way back on October 19 which was my last trip! There have been far too many times this fall to where I’ve been shutout or locked out meaning I didn’t make it to the river the whole entire week. The weather this year and Fall season has definitely had a huge impact and role in my trips being less and fewer than last year. Though I will try not to go into any details, even years and election years such as this one I do not do very well with and struggle big time at the river. I don’t know why it happens that way but it does. On odd numbered years lately I seem to do better and perform better at the river with bigger and better numbers. So I am very hopeful that next season I can somehow try to turn things around and it gets better for me. A few boats I have not yet seen this year and probably won’t are the Capt. Henry Jackman, Algowood, Algoma Sault, Algoma Niagara, American Integrity and American Spirit to name a few of them. I’ve seen 10 of the 1,000 footers this year and I was hoping to really see both the American Integrity and American Spirit but don’t think I will see either this year which is a shame! Although it has not been easy for me and very frustrating at the river this year, many are trying to remind me though to “Look at the Positive and not the bad or Negative side of things!” Many have told me to think about it and to realize I made it to the Soo and had the time of my life there and got to see and do everything I wanted. Also I reminded myself once that this year at least anyway, the Soo needed to do it’s job to inspire me and to motivate me for going to the river which it did. Last year as most of you can recall, it was the St. Clair River that did it’s part and job in helping me through losing my Mom. This year I needed the Soo more and it did it’s part so nothing more needs to be said or done at least in my own opinion anyway. So I take things now with a grain of salt and try to look at the positive and I don’t care what boats I see or don’t see anymore as I try to live and enjoy the days and moments while I can for now.
Denny

Unread post by Denny »

Just to let anyone that reads this post or has been following it for some time now, I've updated and added some news on another post and thread so if you go and look for the one that reads and says "Denny" on it here in this Regional Board, you will soon see and find the latest updates as far as what I've been doing lately and how things have been with me so far this year for the 2018 year and season. I won't go into too much details here other than I've been out to St. Clair and the River now three times so far this year twice in April and now today. On my trip out there today, it was mostly all on seeing the PRT coming downbound as I wanted to see her badly today and we got lucky and saw her. Right now it is possible and looking likely as well that I may be heading up to the Soo sometime in August with my brother for a few days. I am really looking forward to it since I haven't been to the Soo since back in 2010 with my Mom at that time. So you can imagine how I feel about getting back up there and hopefully getting around to see some of the local sites and areas like Whitefish Point along with the Point Iroquois Lighthouse. Now to let you all know I don't know how long I will be able to stay at the Soo and how much time I will have to spend there but, I'll do my best as far as trying to get around to see some of the museums and different places to see while I'm up there. Hope to see some of you maybe at the Soo or later this year possibly in the fall along the St. Clair River then.
Denny

Unread post by Denny »

Well folks I know it’s been a while and forgive me for not updating you all as this winter has been a hard and difficult one and unfortunately for almost a month I’ve been under the weather with a bad cold and terrible cough that I just can’t shake off! But, there’s some rays of sunshine as well for you all! After waiting patiently for the weather to finally give me a break, I made it back out to the river for the first time believe it or not since late November when I was last there! The main objective today was not for boatwatching but to continue my tradition at least to get my copies of the Know Your Ships books in St. Clair! Well you will be happy to know that the tradition continues and for 26 years now that’s where I get my regular edition copies from! Afterward I wanted to stop at the Riverview Plaza in St. Clair to check out Jim Clary’s Art Gallery. To my surprise they were opened but will no longer be on Mondays. I got to meet and talk with Captain Jim’s daughter and expressed my sympathy to her and the family on the loss of their father. I won’t go into details other than Jim’s loss is hard and difficult and I’m glad that I knew him. Got lucky today and saw the G3 Marquis for the first time since they renamed her and also saw the Manitoulin and Wicko. I missed a few though the American Integrity, Bristol Bay, Thunder Bay along with the CSL Tad but I’m just getting started so there’s still time. The boardwalk in St. Clair still has a long ways to go yet and construction is underway as well at the Historic St. Clair Inn as well. So lots going on out there. Point is, slowly but gradually I’m coming back to life again on the river. Keep in mind, I start slow in the Spring and Summer but come on very strong in the Fall season. Hope to see you out on the river in 2018!
Denny

Unread post by Denny »

Thanks for the camera link bookworm as that will surely help me out as far as watching the Soo traffic this weekend. It will be hard to see at night and in the dark especially but, during the daylight it should work okay for me. Now as for anyone wanting to know just when I will be out and about on the river this Spring? Do not count your chickens before they hatch as I'm not like most of the nerds as I start out late every year in the Spring. I am definitely NOT for the cold weather and the wind I cannot take and handle either if it is from either the North, Northwest or East and Northeast. So I am now slowly but gradually coming back from Winter's hibernation and I got lots to do yet as always to get ready for the new season. There will be a couple of times "weather permitting" in April as far as travelling to the river but, these are not an all day event as far as me staying there. First is to make my annual traditional trip to the river for the regular edition copies of the Know Your Ships book when they are available at the stores out there. This has been a rich tradition for all of my 25 years of shipwatching on the river and I intend to keep the book run going. Next weather permitting as always sorry to say that but with Michigan's weather you just can't take nothing per granted! Anyway, the other event is maybe going up to Port Huron for the book signing event in April when Roger a.k.a. Mr. Know Your Ships will be there signing the 2018 book. Of course if any of the new ships Algoma Sault along with the Algoma Innovator happen to be passing by in daylight, I may try to make it out to the river for them. Otherwise, don't expect to see me at the river on a permanent basis probably until at least in May sometime maybe all subject to change. Anyway cheers to all and enjoy the 2018 season opener. It's started boatnerds cheers!
Bookworm

Denny, while this isn't as comprehensive in Soo view coverage, it works for me: http://www.9and10news.com/weather/live- ... marie-cam/
Enjoy!
Denny

Unread post by Denny »

Well hope that everyone is enjoying this nice sunny spring like weather and weekend! We’re now less than a week away from the Soo Locks opening up and the start up of another season hard to believe as where did the time go as far as the lay up time and winter? Just wish there is a way to have the Soo Cameras back online again as I miss not watching and seeing the traffic at the Soo. Next weekend will be rough with no Soo cameras to see what’s going on. To make it more difficult is this will be the first full year of no Soo Traffic recorded messages by phone as last year they stopped that in October. Point is at least you had those through most of 2017 but this will be the first full year without them and gosh am I gonna miss them! Glad to see many photos from Sarnia on the KYS Facebook page of the lay up fleet. Don’t look like I will be out on the river until at least sometime in April or May. I don’t get started early like I used to as now I wait for the weather to get warmer and it is usually in April or May when that happens. The sad part is with no big warm up in sight, this will now make 3 years straight that I did not get out to Port Huron to see the ships laid up in Sarnia before they sailed! Now I know many will tell me that I still got time yet but, I oppose that as surely by the end of this week you’ll start maybe seeing a few leave from Sarnia. Was hoping to see more layup photos from Toledo on the KYS Facebook page especially with 6 of the 1,000 footers laidup down there. Just looking forward now to Spring, warmer weather, seeing the ships in action and getting out more. Hope you all feel the same way!
Bookworm

Hi Denny! Yep, it's always up for grabs until the ships load and head to the Soo. At least ice coverage on lakes & rivers shouldn't be as big an issue as it has in past years. Looking forward to sunnier, warmer days with lots of boat activity.