Denny

Open forum for regional discussion. (extension of the Information Search page for off topic & personal discussion)
Bookworm

Re: Denny

Unread post by Bookworm »

Glad it got to you, Denny.
I love making the calendars, and am glad you like yours.
I find Meijer's calendar photo stock to be excellent and the process is relatively easy for me. If I have trouble, the associate -- at least where I shop -- is so patient and helpful.
Today I've been going through my memory cards and transferring the best of my shots to a new flash-drive. I've made it through three cards and have a lot more to go! The files on my original flash drive got corrupted somehow. So glad I still have the memory cards from when I started eons ago.
Sure hope your plans to go to the Soo work out. If ever we meet, it will likely be when I make a trip down to Marysville -- hopefully, that will be within the next 6 weeks.
Denny

Unread post by Denny »

Hi Bookworm and just to let you know I received the wonderful and beautiful package that you sent to me this week in the mail and I just wanted to put on here how very grateful and thankful I am to you for sending that to me as it was very nice and thoughtful of you to take the time and make that special package up and send it to me. I very much and greatly appreciate that and the calendar is just beautiful and excellent with many of your fantastic photos that you included. The photo of the Lee A. Tregurtha taken in Marysville and passing the Paul R. Tregurtha is also just as beautiful and a great photo of both of them passing each other as it's not often one gets to see the two of them pass in the same spot! I believe I have seen it maybe a couple of times or so in all of the years that I have been taking pictures. The first time it happened, I was at the Soo with my folks in the mid-1990s when the Lee was downbound at Mission Point and the Paul was heading up at about the same time. The Lee passed just off Mission Point as the Paul was just below at the same time and the two passed and exchanged whistle salutes. It was quite a site to see and I still have the 35mm photos in my album collection. The second time I saw them pass was just in late September 2013 as the Lee was downbound in Marysville and the Paul was up at the same time. The photo very much looks almost like what you had sent me and at first I thought maybe you were out at the river in Marysville the same day that I saw them. Believe me when I say to you Bookworm that I definitely plan to keep everything that you sent to me the calendar and the picture as a memento from you and I am definitely adding your name down on my Christmas card list this year as far as ones to send a card to. I plan to be at the Soo in mid-August for a few days with my brother so if you get the chance try to head up there and then maybe we can meet either at the Soo Locks or at Mission Point while I'm staying there. I hope to see and meet you sometime out along the St. Clair River as well. Looking forward to getting out there this fall again like last year and starting things up at that point out there. From your note though you are right as this past year as been difficult for me with the passing of my Mom last year as now I think the reality of losing her is starting to slowly kick in along with battling my health issues this year as well. I've been busy with doctors mostly all year so far and just haven't been able to do as much as I'd like. That's why I am very much looking forward to going up to the Soo since I haven't been there since back in 2008 with my Mom and I also believe and think that I just need a break from all this stuff here and the Soo is the perfect place to get away, unwind and take a much need and deserved rest and relaxation. I haven't been up to Whitefish Point since 2002 before my Dad passed away a couple of years afterward and that's another spot that I'm very much looking forward to going to and seeing up there as well. There's just so much to see and do up there that I wish that my brother and I had more time to spend up there but, we will do what we can and see what we can see with the time that we have up there. Thanks again Bookworm for your thoughts and for sending me the calendar and picture as I greatly appreciate them both. I would give you my Email but I don't like to share it here so I will send that to you by mail at a later date. I am hoping also that the Soo gives me much motivation and inspiration I need for starting up at the river this fall as so far this year I've not had any motivation or inspiration for neither I need some bad!
Bookworm

Hi Denny,

Please contact me at lat625 (G-mail account). I have something I'd like to discuss with you.
Bookworm

Hi Denny!
I'm putting something together for you (should be done by the middle of next week) but lack a mailing address. Please send the information to me at lat625 (G-mail account). Think of it as a mid-year surprise! Bookworm
Bookworm

[quote="Denny "Good news as well as it's looking more and more now and likely that I may be going up north to the Soo sometime in August with my brother. I'm really looking forward to going as I have been toying with the idea and thought for a long time and just need to get away and relax a little bit and hopefully the Soo will give me the inspiration and drive I need to get started up at the river this year. By going in August as well, this hopefully will help ease the pain and sadness that I will be feeling as far as the time of my Mom's anniversary of her passing as well. That will not be an easy time or day for me and I think being at the Soo and with my brother will surely help ease the pain and sadness that both him and I will feel when that time does come. Sorry to make this post long and ramble on boatnerds and friends. Hope you all are doing well and enjoying the Summer weather so far this year![/quote]

Denny, I'm delighted you finally got to see Big Paul and were treated to a salute, as well! Also, little memories of loved ones who are no longer with us go a long way, and it sounds like you have a good plan if you and your brother can make the Soo trip. Speaking of memories, August is also the anniversary of my son's death. He was a certified avionics (engines, body & wiring) technician and worked on the restoration project of a WWI British bi-plane fighter, donated to the Wurtsmith Air Museum. The first weekend the museum opened for the season, I went there, to honor his memory, and to donate a photo of him for the project board. It's the little things that make life special -- and sometimes more bearable.
Denny

Unread post by Denny »

Just to let all boatnerds know and especially my great and dear friend bookworm, we made the river today with a special guest as my brother from Colorado was in town for a visit this week. Had to do some running around this morning and a doctor visit for me and then later we checked the AIS and saw the PRT was coming down and in daylight yet! Needless to say this was a perfect opportunity for me to first go to the river and see the Queen for the first time in 2018 and also just as important to test out my new digital voice recorder which replaces my old Sony tape recorders. Well at first I didn't know or think we would make it in time to see the Queen but we pulled into St. Clair this afternoon just as she was rounding the corner and coming downbound. So YES indeed I did get to see her and Captain Bob did blow the whistle not sure if it was a salute but it sounded like a one long duration for a while but at least the horn didn't get stuck this time LOL! Needless to say my brother was also quite amazed to see her for the first time ever and he could not believe how quickly she moved from just coming around the corner to slowly but surely gliding and passing us by. In the short time we were at the river we did see but missed the American Century going up and the Tim S. Dool later passing by St. Clair on its way upbound as well. Overall I had a great time and trying to get over a bad cold and cough that I've had forever so, hopefully once I get to feeling better I'm hoping to start up at the river soon but may not be until Fall with all the summertime activities taking place now on the river. Good news as well as it's looking more and more now and likely that I may be going up north to the Soo sometime in August with my brother. I'm really looking forward to going as I have been toying with the idea and thought for a long time and just need to get away and relax a little bit and hopefully the Soo will give me the inspiration and drive I need to get started up at the river this year. By going in August as well, this hopefully will help ease the pain and sadness that I will be feeling as far as the time of my Mom's anniversary of her passing as well. That will not be an easy time or day for me and I think being at the Soo and with my brother will surely help ease the pain and sadness that both him and I will feel when that time does come. Sorry to make this post long and ramble on boatnerds and friends. Hope you all are doing well and enjoying the Summer weather so far this year!
Denny

Unread post by Denny »

Thanks for the heads up Bookworm as I appreciate that. However I’m afraid this time around, I won’t be able to get out to the river to see her as I’ve been busy with doctor appointments. Hopefully someday I can get out to the river and see her along with many others. Other than in 2016 to where I chosed not to go to the river very much, that is the only year to where I’ve never seen the PRT but again that was based off of my choice not to go to the river much in 2016 whereas if I had gone out there more than most likely I would’ve seen her surely during 2016 out on the river. Again, thanks for the heads up! Did you see the video of her and it’s horn getting stuck leaving Duluth? That was crazy and I’ll bet that had to drive the captain and crew crazy as well. Glad though they got it fixed but had to been some crazy hectic moments there!
Bookworm

Denny

Hey Denny, you likely know but as of 20:15 (Tuesday) your favorite footer, PRT, is down-bound, above the "thumb," to the St. Clair power plant, with an ETA of around 0400 - 05:00 Wednesday. Sure hope you can see her, this trip.