Winkworth cement company

Open forum for regional discussion. (extension of the Information Search page for off topic & personal discussion)
ed

Re: Winkworth cement company

Unread post by ed »

Thank you Guest. Both you and Ken have added valuable information. Older information seems to be getting harder and harder to gather. Thank you both for taking the time to reply and Merry Christmas to you both.

Unread post by Guest »

A search of a 1974 Greenwood Guide agrees with Ken Niemi's post as it being located where Vantage Point is today. Back in the late 1980s early 90s I seem to recall several vessels referring to the Blue Water Aggregates dock as the Winkworth dock while talking on the marine radio. Probably some old timers at the time who had called on it in the past.
ed

Unread post by ed »

Thanks Ken. As a kid, I grew up next door to the winkworth family here in grosse pointe woods. I went to school with a john winkworth ( third generation - I believe ). At 76 years young, I'm trying to learn more about this family and maybe find any remaining family members. I believe the family had a few patents on cement machinery but, I can not find any information on anything relating to this family or their cement business. The port huron area had many cement plants thru the years and I believe these families all knew of each other but information seems a bit scarce. Thanks again Ken, as I continue my search for more information.
Ken Niemi

Unread post by Ken Niemi »

Ed, I believe it was located where Vantage Point now sits.
ed

Winkworth cement company

Unread post by ed »

Can anyone recall a winkworth cement company located in the Port Huron area during the 40's thru 60's ? Thanks folks.