Norgoma

Discussion board focusing on Great Lakes Shipping Question & Answer. From beginner to expert all posts are welcome.

Re: Norgoma

Unread post by Guest »

Looks like it was the city of Sault Ste. Marie, Ontario plan all along to get rid of the Norgoma at any cost. They know very well that she'll never leave Purvis' dock again. Hang the costs on to the group trying to save the ship. Despicable!
jswilson

Unread post by jswilson »

I saw on the CTV evening news that she was moved today. They had pictures of the empty slip but none of the actual move. Anybody get any pictures of the move in progress?

Unread post by Guest »

Norgoma was supposed to be moved by now. Does anyone know when this will happen. She will have to come though the U.S. lock so it will be quite the site. Does the USCG have to approve the move?
Denny

Unread post by Denny »

Yeah I know what you mean Jared as I said in my earlier post though it was just a crazy thought that I had. Besides the Bramble they could not even keep their tall ship ambassador to the city the Highlander Sea as she also left Port Huron as well many years ago.
MilwBob

Unread post by MilwBob »

Guest wrote:As someone who has called Ontario home for 50-plus years and is a self proclaimed marine historian, I find this whole thing extremely embarrassing. Shame on the politicians in Sault Ste. Marie!

TO Guest
GoFundMe effort raised all of $1,008 from 13 donors in 10 months. It's not just the pols, plenty of blame to go around on this one.
Jared

Unread post by Jared »

Port Huron couldn't even support the Bramble let alone a full passenger steamer.
Denny

Unread post by Denny »

Although I've seen and photographed her a few times while at the Soo on vacation mostly from the Soo Locks Boat Tours and of her stern end only, I am also saddened to see her end possibly come as well. I've never been aboard or inside of her although twice I was over in that part of Canada but it was also while on my way up through Canada on the Lake Superior Circle Tour. I echo many of the folks here that it is indeed a sad ending to an historical ship and an end to a historic era as well. So long Norgoma and thanks for the many memories you shared with us boatnerds. Rest in peace Norgoma and 3 and 2 Short and calm seas and fair winds to you as well. On a bit of subject change, with the USCGC Bramble leaving Port Huron I believe this year the only museum ship left in Port Huron will be the Huron then. The point is, too bad that the Norgoma didn't end up maybe in Port Huron as a museum ship as at least Port Huron could've had another classic and historic ship. Just a thought only on this thread and my two cents on it as well.

Unread post by Guest »

As someone who has called Ontario home for 50-plus years and is a self proclaimed marine historian, I find this whole thing extremely embarrassing. Shame on the politicians in Sault Ste. Marie!

TO Guest
Lakeport

Unread post by Lakeport »

Yes Dan it does look like the end of her. I was born and raised in the Soo and She was a landmark in my opinion. One reason I became a BoatNerd. I spent lots of time downtown and at the riverfront.
Dan McNeil

Unread post by Dan McNeil »

Lakeport wrote:Just read in the Soo News that the Norgoma may be going to a dock behind Algoma Steel. Purvis would do the move (estimated at $50,000). Purvis rents the space from Algoma Steel and will charge a $40 a day storage fee but must be moved within a year from when it's placed there. Wonder if it is a possible scrapping move if the bill is not paid off and the ship moved within the year deadline. I would imagine the ship would be collateral for payment. Volunteers can't afford that let alone the insurance cost for the tow and while on the wall. Sad to see.
It is what looks to be a very sad end to this beautiful Museum ship. Purvis sounds like they are being a good neighbor by making this dock available to the group and giving them a generous discount on renting the dock for $40 a day but I can't agree more this sounds like a money making opportunity for Purvis Marine whose charging $ 50,000 to tow this ship under 2 miless and dock it at a place inaccessible to the public and the society also has to pay for the Insurance for the tow and for while it's docked there for up to a year. The tow and rental charge is going to cost a total of $64,600 for a year and that isn't including how much the insurance will be. I can see this costing in the neighborhood of atleast $75,000-$100,000 at the minimum. The ending of the article made it sound like a farewell and thank you to all society members who worked at keeping this Museum ship going. With it being docked over at the Purvis dock at Algoma Steel society members won't be able to get to the vessel and no on board events will be able to happen to help raise money for the ship. Any events they do to raise money for the ship will have to be done elsewhere. Unless a miracle happens sounds as if Purvis will be counting down the days till they become owners of this ship and then they will have themselves something to make even more money off by scrapping it. What sounds like a generous gesture is nothing more than a business opportunity for Purvis Marine. Nothing wrong with a company trying to make some extra money but this is going to put a end to this historic ship and all that will remain is people's memories and stories and photographs of her. I'll be the first to say R.I.P. Norgoma
Lakeport

Unread post by Lakeport »

Just read in the Soo News that the Norgoma may be going to a dock behind Algoma Steel. Purvis would do the move (estimated at $50,000). Purvis rents the space from Algoma Steel and will charge a $40 a day storage fee but must be moved within a year from when it's placed there. Wonder if it is a possible scrapping move if the bill is not paid off and the ship moved within the year deadline. I would imagine the ship would be collateral for payment. Volunteers can't afford that let alone the insurance cost for the tow and while on the wall. Sad to see.

Unread post by Guest »

They wouldn't tinker with the engine just to move her from the marina because of the costs. When you activate her engine, if you even can, you then get into regulatory rules with Transport Canada, the Coast Guard and others. Then you need someone onboard to operate and navigate the ship bringing in a whole host of other regulations and we haven't even gotten to the safety equipment regulations! Towing is far more economical.
Jared

Unread post by Jared »

I'm speaking about the wrong ship. I was referencing the ridiculous plan for the Norisle that they wanted to turn into a cruise ship. I got the two mixed up. However I assume the same circumstances surround the Norgoma as the Norisle. Poor hull and quarters plus an engine that hasn't run since she was put in there.
Jared

Unread post by Jared »

Unlikely. She is could not pass modern standards for fire supression systems, flammable materials (wood trim), structural specifications and codes. Those engines haven't run in close to 4 decades and the hull is also not in the best shape.

There's no real way to bring her up to modern standards. The cost to bring her up even to sub standard is more than what it would cost to build a brand new cruise ships.
deckstir

Norgoma

Unread post by deckstir »

Just out of curiosity, if anyone here knows, will the Norgoma run? I wonder if her main engine is intact or somehow broken and unserviceable. Even though she's been down a long time, sometimes you can get some of those old diesels running again with a little tinkering. It might be cheaper to ferry her than tow her once they get her out of the marina.