Digital Camera Questions

Open forum for regional discussion. (extension of the Information Search page for off topic & personal discussion)
Denny

Re: Digital Camera Questions

Unread post by Denny »

Thanks again as always everyone for your great advice and tips for buying a new camera. Today I talked it over with my brother and we will both be going and looking at them sometime in the next week or so. This will work out good as I will have a new one in March sometime and still have enough time to try it out around my home first before taking it out to the river. I’m hoping as well to keep my old digital camera as it looks and appears that it can be fixed at least by watching video from You Tube on it. The problem is there’s just not enough camera repair places in my area and nobody it seems wants to take them and look at it and try to repair and fix it. Oh well in time I know I’ll have a new one and maybe even better than the old one once was. Thanks again one and all for your advice and tips on it. My brother got me a good one in 2005 and I’m sure between the two of us we can get another good one that will last as long as my old one did. Thanks again everyone.
cpfan

Unread post by cpfan »

Denny:

I own an S5IS. One of the positives is the tilting screen (which I believe your S2IS also has).

The SX430 and SX530 (and SX620 which I own) have fixed screens.

If you like to use the tilting screen to get better shots over fences or crowds, or perhaps low down shots, then the SX430 & SX530 are not for you.
Denny

Unread post by Denny »

Thanks everyone for your tips and great advice on this as it has not been an easy decision or choice to make! I’m still studying up on this and carefully doing my homework on this one so that I buy the right camera and I want it just plain and simple without much details on it and something that definitely will fit into my strict budget and won’t break the bank. The SX60 and the SX70 models I just looked up are way too expensive IMO anyway for me. So far I’ve looked at two that fit into my price and budget range. There is I believe an SX530 and also a SX430 I think they are? The SX530 model and 16 megapixel I think it is sounds very close and similar to what I once had before which is the Canon Power Shot S2IS. Again I’m still doing my homework along with studying this very carefully. Hopefully I can get something done soon with it as we’re going into March soon and I want to have something done soon so that I can start trying it out at home before taking it up to the river. I’m still hoping for ways of fixing my old one as well but just can’t seem to do it the way that they show on the You Tube video as I tried everything they suggest but it don’t seem to work for me though. Will keep you all posted on what develops. Thanks all for your help!
cpfan

Unread post by cpfan »

I believe that the Canon Powershot SX60HS and SX70HS are the current models in the line that includes the S2IS.

The SX70 was announced in Sept 2018. The SX60 is still available in some stores (such as Henrys in Canada).

Steve

Unread post by Guest »

Perhaps buy yourself a starter level DSLR. They'll last you even longer than your Powershot.
Denny

Unread post by Denny »

If anyone is interested, I think anyway the model number for the Canon Power Shot Camera that I used to have is an S2 IS model. Don't know which one is closest to that although I have some ideas when I've done a search. I am not a professional photographer just an amateur photographer and I need and want something just very simple and plain to the one that I used to have. Thank for any help.
Denny

Digital Camera Questions

Unread post by Denny »

Hi everyone as I got a few questions regarding Digital Cameras as the one I’ve owned and used is a Canon Power Shot That I’ve owned and used since 2005 but started using in 2006. The camera worked well for over 12 years of photography and I NEVER had anything happen to it or go wrong until recently just over a month ago. While out on the river to see and photograph the PRT on their last trip of the season, I assume that I may have dropped the camera in my car somehow as now it does not work and my zoom lens is stuck and it won’t come back in if I am making any sense with this? I get an E18 error and I read up on this and it says this is common among Canon Power Shot users. I tried to take it to a local repair shop and they’re saying there’s nothing he can do to it and that I’m best to go buy a new one. I figure maybe they’re right as by the time I get it fixed, it could cost me as much or more than to just buy a new one. I’ve done searches and have an idea of what type to get probably another Canon Power Shot. I don’t want to discuss the one I’m interested in or prices at this time. Basically I just want to know if anyone else has had something like this happen and what they did about it? Although in reading on the E18 error, it says it can be fixed and I tried it on my own but with no results! That’s why it’s probably time for a new one with a 14 year old camera and just over 12 years of usage shooting digital photos with it. I’m sure I’ll have a new and good one again soon. Thanks for reading and sorry this is so long on this post.