How much is max tonnage regardless of draft for McCarthy?

Discussion board focusing on Great Lakes Shipping Question & Answer. From beginner to expert all posts are welcome.
Charlie

Re: How much is max tonnage regardless of draft for McCarth

Unread post by Charlie »

my father told me once that there is a way to seal the gangway door but not the window. so they can load deeper

charlie
tugboathunter

Unread post by tugboathunter »

This is mentioned on the McCarthy’s page in the fleet photo gallery on this site. The McCarthy is capable of carrying 78,850 tons at its maximum mid-summer draft of 34 feet.

Unread post by Guest »

The BayShip thousand-footers can carry a maximum iron ore cargo of 78,850 gross tons at a draft of 34 feet. But with strapping on their decks, and changes to the location of the engine-room door they can load to a draft of 38-feet. Tonnage would be 88,156 of iron ore.

The Stewart J. Cort was designed for a future draft of 32 feet - again with deck strapping.
RCRVRP

How much is max tonnage regardless of draft for McCarthy?

Unread post by RCRVRP »

There is mention in a thread of the record tonnage the McCarthy has loaded. I assume this tonnage is limited by how deep in the water it sits when going through places with relatively shallow water.
So how much tonnage of ore could the ship safely load [and have room for in the holds] if how deep it sits in the water would not matter?
For instance going from 1 deep water port to another.