Lee A. Tregurtha To Toledo

Discussion board focusing on Great Lakes Shipping Question & Answer. From beginner to expert all posts are welcome.
garbear

Re: Lee A. Tregurtha To Toledo

Unread post by garbear »

Hon. James L. Oberstar departed Silver Bay this afternoon showing a Toledo destination. Is this another "base layer" load or pellets?
tugboathunter

Unread post by tugboathunter »

It is not the first load of the new pellet for the plant because, apparently, the plant will receive a new type of pellet that has not been shipped there yet. The new pellet will be the pellet that is used to make HBI.

As for what a "base layer" is, I am not sure. This is just the information that I have.

Unread post by Guest »

tugboathunter wrote:No, this is not the first cargo of the new pellet for the HBI plant. It is simply a base layer for the plant.

Earlier this summer the Presque Isle did a "test run" through the rail bridge to get to the Ironville Terminal where the plant will be located. So this tells me that 1,000 footers will likely go there in the future.
What is a base layer and why is it not considered the first cargo to the new plant ? TIA
Mr Link

Unread post by Mr Link »

Here is some fairly recent drone footage of the construction site (starting at about the 4'30" mark). But it is taken from west of the plant so you can't see the dock area very well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lv_jEJZV_04
Charlie

Unread post by Charlie »

got a couple of questions here:::

I see that the PI had tugs when she went up river to the new dock. Do 1,000 need to take tugs for this trip up river or was that just for the trial??

second can anyone post or send in pictures of the plant construction, unloading dock storage pile location.

thanks

charlie
tugboathunter

The first load of the new pellet has not yet taken place.

Unread post by Guest »

tugboathunter wrote:No, this is not the first cargo of the new pellet for the HBI plant. It is simply a base layer for the plant.

Earlier this summer the Presque Isle did a "test run" through the rail bridge to get to the Ironville Terminal where the plant will be located. So this tells me that 1,000 footers will likely go there in the future.
When was the first load of pellets to the HBI plant?
tugboathunter

No, this is not the first cargo of the new pellet for the HBI plant. It is simply a base layer for the plant.

Jim B

Unread post by Jim B »

In August the Presque Isle came into Toledo and proceeded up through the CSX bridge with the help of two G tugs. She pulled up to the Ironville Dock for a few minutes then went back downriver, turned 180 degrees and went back up to the Ironville dock for a few minutes and then left town. So to answer the 1000 footer question, yes.
garbear

Unread post by garbear »

Denny wrote:Would they possibly get or received pellets shipped in then by any of the 1,000 footers? Just curious and thought I would ask is all.
The LAT was the first boat of any size to load at Northshore Mining this year for Toledo.
Denny

Unread post by Denny »

Would they possibly get or received pellets shipped in then by any of the 1,000 footers? Just curious and thought I would ask is all.
Bob

Unread post by Bob »

I was just reading about the plant in Toledo and it said they were going to start stockpiling pellets so this could be the first load.
garbear

Lee A. Tregurtha To Toledo

Unread post by garbear »

The LAT departed Silver Bay this a.m. for Toledo. First load out of Silver Bay I've seen for Toledo. Wonder if this could be the first load of DR pellets for the new facility in Toledo?