Detroit Red Wings

Open forum for regional discussion. (extension of the Information Search page for off topic & personal discussion)
eds

Re: Detroit Red Wings

Unread post by eds »

Dead Wings are right on schedule to be out of the play offs by Thanksgiving. Wake up Steve - your in charge now - do something - anything !
ed

Unread post by ed »

Would someone please wake up Steve Yzerman and tell him that the hockey season has started ? Maybe a phone call to Mark Howe ( in charge of scouting with almost 20 assistant scouts on the payroll ) is also in order here ! The " Dead Wings " need a few hockey players and a pro coach.
Jared

Unread post by Jared »

I guess I was a little to enthusiastic about the new manager this year. We are not doing well this year as the all the Canadian teams humiliated us.
ed

Unread post by ed »

Just in - Jimmy Howard to be placed on the I R list due to ringing in his ears caused by pucks bouncing off his goal posts ! Also has a bad sun burn rash on the back of his neck - from the red light flashing behind his net.
ed

Unread post by ed »

Much to my surprise , the Wings are off to a good start for the season. Saturday's game against Tor. was close but the wings were out played at the end of the game by a very powerful team. Their win in Mont. was outstanding to watch. How much longer can they continue to win depends to a great extent on how Bashill will be able to plug holes in the line up as players get hurt over the long season. The minor league talent pool looks weak but, time will tell .
ed

Unread post by ed »

I agree that Blashill was a good 'minor league' coach BUT, the difference between being a minor league coach and a major league coach are as different as night and day. The game is played faster and the skill level is much higher in the N H L.
garbear

Unread post by garbear »

Denny wrote:I agree 100% Ed as I don't believe that Blashill is the right guy for the Wings and where they ever picked him up from and got him I will never know? At least the Wings got rid of Kenny Holland and now it is time for Steve to step up and start turning this once and proud Hockey franchise around and restoring it to its rightful place of glory once again. I agree also that if Chris Illitch really cared as much about the Wings as his Dad Mike illitch did, he would try to get the right coach and players and start to build this team into a contender. Just have to give it some time yet and see what Steve can do as far as helping to transform this team into a powerhouse and hopefully a contender someday. As for them making it to the playoffs this season, I say let's just wait and see first as we are just getting started and have a long way to go. Anything is still possible with them so I say let's just wait a bit and see on that!

Never been a big hockey fan, should be seeing the U of M-Duluth has won 3 national championships, but looking at Blashill's creds, he certainly has them.

On June 18, 2013, the Griffins under Blashill won the Calder Cup as AHL champions for the first time in club history.[10][11]
In his second season with Grand Rapids, Blashill was awarded the Louis A. R. Pieri Memorial Award as the AHL's most outstanding coach for the 2013–14 season. In two seasons as head coach, he guided the Griffins to a combined 88–48–2–12 record. During his tenure, Griffins posted three separate seven-game winning streaks while never losing more than two consecutive games in regulation.[12]
On June 4, 2014, it was announced that Blashill had agreed to a new three-year contract with the Red Wings organization through to the 2016–17 season to coach the Griffins.[13]
With a win over the Rockford IceHogs on April 1, 2015, Blashill became the first coach in Griffins franchise history to post three 40-win seasons and three 90-point seasons.[14] In three seasons with the Griffins, he compiled a 134–71–12–11 regular season record and won seven of nine AHL playoff series. He is the only coach in Griffins history to qualify for the Calder Cup playoffs in three consecutive seasons.[15]
Following the departure of Detroit head coach Mike Babcock to the Toronto Maple Leafs, Blashill was named head coach of the Red Wings on June 9, 2015.[16] On April 2, 2019, the Red Wings announced they signed Blashill to a two-year contract extension.[
Denny

Unread post by Denny »

I agree 100% Ed as I don't believe that Blashill is the right guy for the Wings and where they ever picked him up from and got him I will never know? At least the Wings got rid of Kenny Holland and now it is time for Steve to step up and start turning this once and proud Hockey franchise around and restoring it to its rightful place of glory once again. I agree also that if Chris Illitch really cared as much about the Wings as his Dad Mike illitch did, he would try to get the right coach and players and start to build this team into a contender. Just have to give it some time yet and see what Steve can do as far as helping to transform this team into a powerhouse and hopefully a contender someday. As for them making it to the playoffs this season, I say let's just wait and see first as we are just getting started and have a long way to go. Anything is still possible with them so I say let's just wait a bit and see on that!
ed

Detroit Red Wings

Unread post by ed »

I will start this out by predicting the Wings will finish this season with 75 points. Well out of the play offs once again. Steve has got to find a new coach fast ! Chris Illitch has his interests in pizza and going to the Fox for entertainment.