Denny's Welland Trip Story

Open forum for regional discussion. (extension of the Information Search page for off topic & personal discussion)
Howard Sprague

Re: Denny's Welland Trip Story

Unread post by Howard Sprague »

This is a great story Denny, and always brings a tear to my eye. Thank you for sharing your good fortune with us.
Denny

Unread post by Denny »

Very true indeed Darryl that's why I consider myself very lucky and fortunate to have been able to get aboard her before the extra and added security after the tragic events of September 11 as I totally agree that now days there's no way unless of course you know of someone on ship or have connections that is of getting on a ship like I did back then. It was still fun back then and enjoyable and as I said before, an experience that I'll always remember and never ever forget. Luckily I was able to be able to get around the Welland before all the extra security and fences were put into place as after the 1998 and 1999 late October trips with my Dad, we never ever did make it back over to the Welland Canal after the 1999 trip and in all likelihood I suppose that I'll probably never ever get back to there again with all the extra security and fencing and also all of the legal documents you need for getting over there and back now.
Darryl

Unread post by Darryl »

That is quite a story, and rare. A few years later, with all the security, fences, procedures, etc.,... added to the transportation industry, it might have never happened!
Denny

Denny's Welland Trip Story

Unread post by Denny »

Hello everyone as this will be a yearly repeat of one of my best ever stories and again, I will only do this story every year on this date in history as it is a very special story that I enjoy sharing with all of you. It is quite possible though that I may have shared this story with you all before but if not, then it is definitely worth the repeat and hope to see lots of replies and responses and comments from you all. For boatnerd folks, I apologize if this is a lengthy and long story but it is worth telling. So, sit back one and all and grab yourself a cup of hot cocoa, cider or whatever floats your boat and enjoy this story. Hard to believe it's been 20 years already since this happened! On the morning of October 30, 1999 and a warm and sunny morning both my Dad and I headed down to Lock 1 of the Welland Canal as we were chasing down the Seaway Queen at the time. The Seaway Queen was downbound so we pulled in just below Lock 1 as she was tying up below the lock. So, I walked over and asked what they were doing? They said "Oh, we have to wait as the Algowood is in Lock 1 being raised and when they clear us then we go in next." At the time, I had the company hat on for the Seaway Queen and a linesman asked me "Would you like to come aboard our ship?" I was stunned and shocked and couldn't move and I thought I was dreaming. Again, the guy asked If I would like to come aboard? Then I said, let me ask my Dad first if it was ok with him. So, I ran over and asked him and he said "What are you waiting for get going already!" So, before I knew it I was climbing the ladder and on deck headed to the pilothouse to the meet the captain. To make a long story short, we watched the Algowood go by us and then the captain said "We're gonna sail into Lock 1 and once we're tied-up we'll let you off and how does that sound to you he asked?" I was simply amazed and blown away and it was quite a thrill and something that I'll always remember and never forget especially since my Dad was there to see it all! After the Queen cleared Lock 1 she gave me a thunderous salute with her classic horn as well. It is also fitting that the Seaway Queen would also be my last vessel seen on the St. Clair River during the 1999 season!