Wilfred Sykes elevated aft hatches

Discussion board focusing on Great Lakes Shipping Question & Answer. From beginner to expert all posts are welcome.
Guest Jon Paul

Re: Wilfred Sykes elevated aft hatches

Unread post by Guest Jon Paul »

E J B wrote: April 2, 2024, 1:41 pm Wondered about these hatches myself. So, are they used in loading and how are they accessed ??
Yes they are used in the loading process and the hatch covers atop the trunk are in most cases accessed by using a modified hatch crane with hooks that is fitted to the underside of the unloading boom directly above the trunk.
E J B

Unread post by E J B »

Wondered about these hatches myself. So, are they used in loading and how are they accessed ??

Unread post by guest »

Most if not all of the straight decker's that were converted to self unloader have trunk hatches to increase the size of the cargo hold to make up for the volume lost in the conversion

Unread post by Guest »

That is a hatch-trunk and is designed to increase the cubic capacity of the aft cargo hold that is lost when a loop-belt conveyor is installed in the conveyor trunk. It also prevents sag and keel deflection. Issues with hull sag on the earlier Canadian seaway self-unloaders, such as Tarantau, necessitated adding hatch trunks on the the forward and aft end of the Quetico when she was converted to a self-unloader in 1969. That is why the majority of the 1950s built-vessels that were converted starting in 1975-1983 required the use of a hatch-trunk; the exceptions being the Courtney Burton and Middletown (1960 T-3 conversion).

Wilfred Sykes elevated aft hatches

Unread post by Guest »

I googled, tried search words on this forum and checked the gallery, but could not find any reference as to why the last two hatches under the boom are elevated atop a doghouse. I thought they might have been coal bunkers, but the gallery reports the Sykes was built as an oil burner. Anyone know the story?