Number of RR cars vs shipping by boat

Discussion board focusing on Great Lakes Shipping Question & Answer. From beginner to expert all posts are welcome.
Chief1

Re: Number of RR cars vs shipping by boat

Unread post by Chief1 »

Let’s see, 7 ore trains, each train typically using 4 EMD type locomotives = 28. 1000 footer moving same tonnage with 4 EMD type propulsion engines.
Bookworm

Unread post by Bookworm »

You guys have increased my knowledge quite a bit so now I can share even more information with the newbie! Thanks!
clarkjol

Unread post by clarkjol »

Living near Sandusky, the footers do not load here, but a lake boat like the CSL Niagara, Interlake Lee Tregurtha and etc. Take very close to 220 rail cars each of coal. Takes about 12 hours if the loading is done from rail cars. Takes about 8 hours to load if taken from ground storage.
Scott

Unread post by Scott »

To put this into perspective, it would take about 7 typical ore trains of 100 cars to fill a vessel as large as the Paul R Tregurtha. Impressive.
Bookworm

Yes, it is. Thanks for your help. I'm trying to "educate" someone in a way that says it better than I can and this is absolutely perfect!
Kymosobbie

Unread post by Kymosobbie »

this maybe the graphic you were in search of
Attachments
Screenshot 2024-04-27 10.42.15 AM.png
Bookworm

Thanks for your detailed response.
Kymosobbie

Unread post by Kymosobbie »

Typical railcars can carry 80 to 125 tons per car and the average load is 100 to 110 tons. Two types of railcars are in service: the solid bottom gondola and the hopper car.

At 1013.5 feet, Interlake's flagship M/V Paul R. Tregurtha is the longest ship on the Great Lakes. She can carry up to 68,000 gross tons of taconite pellets or 71,000 net tons of coal. Her unloading system and 260-foot boom empty her five cargo holds in about eight hours.
Bookworm

Number of RR cars vs shipping by boat

Over the years, I've seen a visual chart showing the astounding benefits to ship by boat over rail cars but my web search couldn't find it. Maybe it was/is published in KYS? I want to share it with a new Boatnerd. Thanks.