photo,s

Discussion board focusing on Great Lakes Shipping Question & Answer. From beginner to expert all posts are welcome.
Randy S

Re: photo,s

Unread post by Randy S »

Chief wrote:In reference to the comment by Randy s why are the tunnels off limits in restricted waters?
I was told it was a safety concern - restricted channels with shallow water outside of the marked channel and the ever present possibility of collision. If it wasn't necessary to be below the waterline, they didn't go. This is Not to say that the rules weren't broken - sometimes on the "boss'" orders we would be rinsing the tunnel in the rivers, but it was always an uneasy feeling. Besides, why walk through a cold, damp tunnel if the weather outside was nice.
Chief

Unread post by Chief »

In reference to the comment by Randy s why are the tunnels off limits in restricted waters?

Unread post by Guest »

I would think the reason you don't see many around deck, is because of lap top computers (surfing the internet), and smart phones (talking/skyping with family and friends). People can now communicate with friends and family while off watch in their staterooms. The same reason you don't see kids outside riding bikes, playing ball, and just doing things outside! A lot of people as we know have their faces glue to computer/phone screens, video games most of their day. For some of the reason it's work, or communicating with family which is not a bad thing. Just my 2 cents!
Randy S

Unread post by Randy S »

Guest wrote:It isn’t necessary to be on the deck, without a loading/unloading duty, when you can walk below in the hull side tunnels. The hull side tunnels were a ship building innovation in the 1930’s I think. The below deck passage in the picture is for the PRT and the picture credit is to the filename.
Not sure how it is now, but when I was sailing in the 70s, the tunnels were always Off Limits when underway in restricted waters like the rivers. Also - back then, there was nothing better (except being Home) than being off-watch on a nice summer day, out on deck while traversing the rivers - You actually got to see "normal people" and were reminded that there was actually life outside the confines of the boat. Guys would sit on hatches or lawn chairs and surreptitously down a few suds while watching the scenery go by or reading and working on their tans. (Once in a while, we would be treated to some "special" scenery by the occupants of passing pleasure boats.) Call it sentimental or whatever, but I always waved back at the kids who would wave at us. I guess it was the memory of having sailors who return my wave when I was a kid. At night or in inclement weather, we would be inside watching TV - the rivers were the few places where you might be able to watch an entire movie, end-to-end. Please remember that the Betamax had just hit the market and was prohibitively expensive for most folks, and virtually no pre-recorded material was available. Why nobody is out on deck today, I have No idea.

Unread post by Guest »

It isn’t necessary to be on the deck, without a loading/unloading duty, when you can walk below in the hull side tunnels. The hull side tunnels were a ship building innovation in the 1930’s I think. The below deck passage in the picture is for the PRT and the picture credit is to the filename.
Attachments
Paulrtregurthae-01-28-05-eg.jpg
hayhugh2

Unread post by hayhugh2 »

A third of the crew are working, usually not on deck, a third are probably sleeping and a third could be sleeping, reading, watching TV, eating or maybe on the other side of the boat watching someone on the other shore.
Chief

Unread post by Chief »

In the "Good Old Days" you would see people on deck all the time in the rivers. Since most vessels are now air conditioned it is more comfortable to be inside, reading, watching television, sleeping, or watching movies. I know engineers that never go outside on deck except in port to up up town. With a 4 on and 8 off watch schedule you spend a good portion of you off time sleeping.
Darryl

Unread post by Darryl »

Not as many people work on the boats as before is one reason.
QuartersOne

photo,s

Unread post by QuartersOne »

I have often wondered why when you view photo's of vessel's underway that very seldom do you see anyone on deck. Are there any stipulation's on being on deck other than doing necessary work? Always struck me as odd.