Lower Lakes ships without bow thrusters

Discussion board focusing on Great Lakes Shipping Question & Answer. From beginner to expert all posts are welcome.
Chief

Re: Lower Lakes ships without bow thrusters

Unread post by Chief »

Some have the markings and some don't probably depends on how many times the hull has been painted. I see the markings on ships just out of the yard where the hull has been painted, but repainting the marking would take a scaffold or some way to get up to where the markings are. Simply a matter of rolling paint over the rust and not concerned about the markings.
Chief

Unread post by Chief »

Ken--I like now where they mark on the hull for tugs. As if you can't see the frames after a couple trips through the locks.

Unread post by Guest »

Just not having the marking makes more sense than not having bow thrusters on vessels in 2013 engaged in the trades that Lower Lakes is known for. Thanks for the answers since I assumed that the marking was mandatory.

Any idea why some have the mark and some don't in the same fleet? Wonder where they've been painted and if there's some correlation with what shipyard the work was done at.
Ken Niemi

Unread post by Ken Niemi »

Gee, Chief, and I always thought it was to warn fish to stay out of the Bass-O-Matic (great early SNL commercial).
Chief

Unread post by Chief »

I am pretty sure that all the ships you mentioned have bow thrusters. Just because they don't have the marking doesn't mean they don't have them. I don't know what the requirement is for the markings. I know that it started as a marker for tugs so that they didn't push where the thruster is, but since few Great Lakes ships use tugs for docking the point is moot.

Unread post by Guest »

Those ships all have bow thrusters.

Lower Lakes ships without bow thrusters

Unread post by Guest »

I thought non-equipped Great Lakes ships were all but extinct now. But I don't see the marking that I understand signifies that a ship is equipped with a bow thruster on several of their ships.

Looks like the Manitoba, Saginaw, Michipicoten, and Manistee all lack it. Even in pictures of a couple of these riding high at a dock without ballast, I visibly can't see one. And curiously, I don't see the marking on the Manitowoc even though she was originally equipped with one as the Earl W. Oglebay and is correctly marked in pictures of her from when she was with Oglebay Norton.