St. Clair River Floatdown 2013

Discussion board focusing on Great Lakes Shipping Question & Answer. From beginner to expert all posts are welcome.
dbuttonpthuron

Re: St. Clair River Floatdown 2013

Unread post by dbuttonpthuron »

If you wait until about 6pm you could witness a chain of freighters in both directions that were backed up waiting for the river to open to commercial traffic.

Unread post by Guest »

According to the Port Huron Vessels page the Coast Guard is closing the river to shipping during the float down. I would suspect the closure will be from 1pm to 7pm.
Bookworm

Unread post by Bookworm »

This was posted online:
Reminder, of the security zone, Sunday 18 August, 2013, from the area north of the ft.gratiot lighthouse in lake huron, the u.s.side of the st.clair river to the city of Marysville boat launch from 1:00 p.m. to 6:00 p.m. all commercial traffic will be delayed during that period.

Unread post by Guest »

Been to the float down as a spectator a few times. Vessel traffic is limited while the float down is happening. If you look at the news page a few days ago, there is a notice posted about the float down.

In all the times I have watched, I have never seen commercial traffic permitted to transit the area while the float down is in progress. Shucks, all traffic seems to be limited.

Times? They kick off around 930 or 1000 if I remember right, and they seem to wrap it up around 2 or 3 in the afternoon at the beach in Marysville.

Is it worth watching even if there are no freighters going through? YES! It's a hoot with all sorts of people in various home made crafts.

Here's a plus... if the vessel traffic is limited while they float down is going on, then there might be vessels backing up waiting for the tom-foolery to end. Of course that assumes there's vessels transiting the system. Just a thought.
Denny

St. Clair River Floatdown 2013

Unread post by Denny »

What are the hours of tomorrow's St. Clair River floatdown and will vessel traffic still be permitted and allowed through the river while the floatdown is going on? I read on the News Channel about them setting up a "temporary safety zone and different stuff like that." I would like to see the foatdown as I have never ever seen it but, don't want to go if there is no freighter traffic to see also. Anyone with information on this is greatly appreciated. Thank You.