Great Lakes/Michigan

Discussion board focusing on Great Lakes Shipping Question & Answer. From beginner to expert all posts are welcome.
Mr Link

Re: Great Lakes/Michigan

Unread post by Mr Link »

St crapo wrote:Just wondering does she still go into Traverse City Michigan to unload at the fuel docks there right on Grand Traverse Bay a couple miles from the Great Lakes Maritime Academy?
Dan
The Greilickville oil dock and the adjacent tank farm have closed. According to this first link, the last barge shipment was in November 2009.

http://www.leelanaunews.com/?q=node/10930
(Pick the first result on the search page)

http://www.leelanaunews.com/?q=node/10935
(pick the first result on the search page)

http://record-eagle.com/local/x33396857 ... ice=mobile
Mr Link

Unread post by Mr Link »

St crapo wrote: She is either owned or she is leased to Chicago Marine Asset Mgmt.
Chicago Marine Asset Management, LLC was dissolved as an Illinois corporation on January 2, 2013 and their involvement with the Michigan/Great Lakes ended well before that, I believe in early 2011 or late 2010. The NOAA database shows the tug and barge as being owned by GATX Third Aircraft Corporation. Andie operates them, I believe for US Oil, a Midwest petroleum distributor.
St crapo

Unread post by St crapo »

Just wondering does she still go into Traverse City Michigan to unload at the fuel docks there right on Grand Traverse Bay a couple miles from the Great Lakes Martime Acadamy? I lived up there in Traverse City for about a year when I was 20 and I didnt know any ship or tug barge vessles even came in there other then the State Of Michigan. I moved there right as winter started and I remember we had just gotten a very early winter snow storm with 14in of snow that had fallen. I happend to go downtown to check out the bay and to my shock and surprise I saw her heading in and watched her dock and begin to unload. After that day id see her every couple of weeks throught the winter come in to unload. Thanks for any information.
Dan
Chief

Unread post by Chief »

They were here in Cheboygan till I believe yesterday. They were here for about 5 days and have been in and out all summer. When they get here they usually stay about 5-7 days. Not sure why they sit here so long.
Guest in Toledo

Unread post by Guest in Toledo »

The tug, Michigan, and tanker barge, Great Lakes, both built in 1982, are active in this shipping season. They have been to the Toledo BP Oil dock @ 6 times in 2013 and they have been idled in the past. When idled, the coastal tug Huron Service, with the coastal tanker barge Energy Service 6506, were frequent visitors to the Toledo BP dock.

Michigan/Great Lakes, with the cement and salt floats, are the most interesting visitors to the Toledo port. They arrive before the Soo & Seaway open, in the worst of winter/spring weather and in the Maumee River currents. And, each has to pass through 1, or more, bridges.

Some years ago, Michigan/Great Lakes, got lodged in the railroad bridge next to the Toledo BP dock. Before being released, emergency services had concerns that both the bridge and the M/GL could be lost.
St crapo

Unread post by St crapo »

As of Friday Augest 16th they were in the Straits of Mackinac heading for I beleave Cheboygan Michigan to load for Green Bay Wisconsin. She is eaither owned or she is leased to Chicago Marine Asset Mgmt. I hope this helps.
Dan McNeil

Unread post by Guest »

Yes.
plshan

Great Lakes/Michigan

Unread post by plshan »

Are they still around?