St. Mary's Challenger

Discussion board focusing on Great Lakes Shipping Question & Answer. From beginner to expert all posts are welcome.
Denny

Re: St. Mary's Challenger

Unread post by Denny »

Will she make anymore trips down to Detroit this season? I would love to see her as I missed her the first time she came down this way. The last time I saw her was in 2004 when she was sailing under the name Southdown Challenger. I have never yet seen her with the St. Marys Challenger name and hope to see her at least once sometime.
wlbblw

Unread post by wlbblw »

Ok. Looks like some docks have 2 different types of equipment as seen in todays news page. A set of hoses for air blown cement or the mechanical/belt system for boats with the short shuttle boom. The cement docks here in Buffalo only have the hoses so I guess the chance of her coming here is out.
LTB

Unread post by LTB »

The Challenger unloads through a forward-mounted boom.
Attachments
ChallengerAugust2008 247sm.jpg
tOM

Unread post by tOM »

There are none. She swings the unloading boom over the side and an accordian type of hose on tube drops down with a collar it to the receiver on the dock. that gets locked on and she starts unloading. The dock equipment proceeds to transfer it to the silos
Hope this helps.
wlbblw

St. Mary's Challenger

Unread post by wlbblw »

Where are the unloading hoses located on the Challenger? Bow, stern, or amidships?