Heritage Marine

Discussion board focusing on Great Lakes Shipping Question & Answer. From beginner to expert all posts are welcome.
Jay from Westland

Re: Heritage Marine

Unread post by Jay from Westland »

Glad to hear they where just there for some maintenance. Seems like a lot of vessels with bad news end up at MCM.
BigRiver

Unread post by BigRiver »

Tugs returned upbound through the locks Tuesday afternoon headed to Duluth
Chief

Unread post by Chief »

It costs a lot of money to dock a tug, even more then then a footer because there is more water to pump out. Then there is the daily on the blocks fee. Bayship has a small graving dock made out of the hull of the Sparta for just such things. I assume the Heritage Marine went out with a bid package to all the shipyards and took the low bidder.
Mr Link

Unread post by Mr Link »

I only saw them from the land side (Portage Avenue). The view is somewhat obscured, so I don't know if there was a barge or not.
Ted Knack

Unread post by Ted Knack »

Did the two tugs have a barge?

Unread post by Guest »

Chris M wrote:Odd that they would travel that distance for work when Fraser Shipyards is right across the road from where they dock.
It's uneconomical for Fraser to flood their drydock for the tugs. Great Lakes Towing has done the same thing with their Duluth tugs.
Chris M

Unread post by Chris M »

Odd that they would travel that distance for work when Fraser Shipyards is right across the road from where they dock.
mr link

Unread post by mr link »

Edward H is on the dry dock, so my guess is for maintenance and dry docking.
Jay from Westland

Heritage Marine

Unread post by Jay from Westland »

I may have missed it but does anyone know why the Heritage tugs are in the Soo at MCM?