Algosar question

Discussion board focusing on Great Lakes Shipping Question & Answer. From beginner to expert all posts are welcome.
Mr Link

Re: Algosar question

Unread post by Mr Link »

Chief,
Yes Canada has a cabotage law. There is a process where foreign ships can get a permit to carry cargo between to Canadian ports. This previous post by Mac Mackay describes the process:

http://newsearch.boatnerd.com/viewtopic ... it=coastal

This more recent post of his mentions the Rio Dauphin getting a permit:

http://newsearch.boatnerd.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=34288

The US flagged tank barge Michigan/Great Lakes did some Canadian trips earlier in the year and needed a coastal license as well.
Chief

Unread post by Chief »

Do the chartered Algoma Tankers carry product between two Canadian ports? I assumed that Canada had a law similar to the Jones Act in that only Canadian flagged vessels can carry product between two Canadian Ports
Mac Mackay

Unread post by Mac Mackay »

Thanks for your answers. Algoma must be scrambling a bit for tankers, as Algocanada is due in Halifax and they have chartered the foreign flag Rio Dauphin to make several coastal trips.
Esso has stopped refining crude oil in Halifax, and the refinery will be converted to a storage depot, so I expect to see many more changes in trading patterns of Algoma tankers.
The shut down will also effect Desgagnes and Irving tankers too.

Unread post by Guest »

The algonova was in st-johns,the algosar is inland waters;she cannot pass west end of anticosti.She carries clean cargoes ,not bunker.
Karebehr

Unread post by Karebehr »

Algosar was in St John's NL I think 2 weeks ago delivering to Irving dock in the harbor......was pleasantly surprised to see her here!
Brimley Jim

Unread post by Brimley Jim »

In mid August, I made a trip on the Canadian Empress from Quebec City to Kingston. We met the Algosar, shortly after departing Quebec City and she was headed for Sept Iles
Bruno

Unread post by Bruno »

Not very often Mac, this year thus far, twice below Quebec City most likely to Sept-Iles with bunker.
Mac Mackay

Algosar question

Unread post by Mac Mackay »

I saw the Algosar on the St.Lawrence River, east of Quebec City this summer (I would have expected to see Algoeast) and was wondering how often Algosar strays out of the Lakes.