Herbert C. Jackson's Northern Detour

Discussion board focusing on Great Lakes Shipping Question & Answer. From beginner to expert all posts are welcome.
Chief

Re: Herbert C. Jackson's Northern Detour

Unread post by Chief »

Call me crazy but I always liked fall sailing. Liked looking at all the fall colors on shore when I could get out on deck. The north route was always nice as well, something different to see even though the trip was a little longer. A little rough weather was always interesting as well, a nice roll to put one to sleep. Then again there were the nights where you got pitched out of bed and onto the deck. After the second or third big roll it was decision time, do I just stay on the deck or try bed one more time. Sometimes I would take all my cloths and pack them around me and kind of burrow down in the middle like a nest, worked great. The down side was I always worried that one of my people would fall in to the engine and get eaten, but they knew what not to do and fortunately nobody was ever hurt other then a few bruises and burns from hot pipes. AH Yes the good old days.
St crapo

Unread post by St crapo »

Stay safe guys the next few day as the storms pass. I will be saying a few extra prayers the next few days that everyone up on the big lake have safe travels.
Dan McNeil

Unread post by Guest »

I see the Cason J. Callaway is tied down by Sand Island, but the Walter J. McCarthy and Edgar B. Speer seem to be trying to make a go of it. Safe sailing, guys! We'll keep the light on for you in the Keweenaw!

Unread post by Guest »

Gale warnings out for Lake Superior until Saturday night. Forecasting gales from the northeast to east.

Unread post by Guest »

Beachcombing to avoid weather:

Wind Direction (WDIR): ENE ( 60 deg true )
Wind Speed (WSPD): 32 kts
Wind Gust (GST): 35 kts

Devils Island at 5 p.m.

Herbert C. Jackson's Northern Detour

Unread post by Guest »

Anybody know why the Herbert C. Jackson is hugging the north shore of Lake Superior? Left Duluth downbound for Buffalo, but is abeam of Battle Island light right now. Are they sightseeing?