WW II Shipyard workers - How many remain?

Discussion board focusing on Great Lakes Shipping Question & Answer. From beginner to expert all posts are welcome.
Guest1

Re: WW II Shipyard workers - How many remain?

Unread post by Guest1 »

I don’t know if any effort has been made to identify the women who worked in the Great Lakes shipyards in the 1940’s. But, there are internet pictures of the women who worked in the shipyards without names or picture credits. I have a few pictures from Toledo. I hope you get a few pictures to this post from Duluth, Manitowoc, Bay City, etc.

You brought back memories, from my youth in the 50’s and early 60’s, when this generation of women wore aprons for homemaking. And, the outfits for leaving the home, always included a stylish head covering. They had a lot of beauty and class.

The keel for the Mackinaw was laid 03/20/1943 at the Toledo Shipbuilding Company and these are pictures of women who built her. Like most ships built in Toledo, the Mackinaw was side launched 03/04/1944.
Attachments
Ship - Mackinaw 3.jpg
Ship - Mackinaw 4.jpg
Ship - Mackinaw 6.jpg

WW II Shipyard workers - How many remain?

Unread post by Guest »

Saw a news story the other day about a woman who joined Boeing in 1942 as a Rosie the Riveter. She still works there today at age 93. With the Great Lakes being a shipbuilding center during the war with Navy subs in Manitowoc, Coast Guard cutters in Toledo and Duluth, sub chasers in Bay City, etc., has there been any effort to identify any of these members of the Greatest Generation who are still with us today? http://nation.time.com/2013/09/28/a-ros ... ing-at-93/