Wm. Clay Ford, Sr.

Open forum for regional discussion. (extension of the Information Search page for off topic & personal discussion)

Re: Wm. Clay Ford, Sr.

Unread post by Guest »

Denny wrote:No way Les as that is the last team I would want to follow after the Bills and Lions. Also, don't forget (sorry to say) the Browns are like the Lions in the fact that neither has ever been or even played in the Super Bowl. Maybe I should follow the Packers and be a Cheese Head. I would look pretty good with a cheese head on me and maybe get more boats to salute me as well LOL.
They both played in the 1957 championship game, last time both were in such a game........ last time the Lions won such a game
Mich Bob

Unread post by Mich Bob »

My guess is that the reason that the fleet of ships and the Ed Fitz connection wasn't mentioned is because of the limited interest in the shipping industry. It may be hard to believe in this forum but a very high percentage of folks couldn't care less about what ships are sailing this year, which are staying at the wall, and which are headed for the torch. The NFL, and in this case, the Lions, are much more popular and have a larger fan base.

Even my kids, who have been exposed to my boat "nerdness" for as long as they have been alive, don't understand it. In defense of the media, several outlets here in Lansing mentioned the Ford fleet as well as the connection with the Fitz, not just the Lions.
Denny

Unread post by Denny »

No way Les as that is the last team I would want to follow after the Bills and Lions. Also, don't forget (sorry to say) the Browns are like the Lions in the fact that neither has ever been or even played in the Super Bowl. Maybe I should follow the Packers and be a Cheese Head. I would look pretty good with a cheese head on me and maybe get more boats to salute me as well LOL.
Les Weston

Unread post by Les Weston »

Denny, maybe you could follow the Browns. Using reverse logic, they might actually win a game. :)
Denny

Unread post by Denny »

Thanks Tom for your comments and yes, I also agree about what you said in that the Lions should have been the last thing that they should have talked about. They were a major disgrace and the laughing stock of the NFL. On the other hand, I jumped on the Buffalo Bills bandwagon during the first year 1990-91 that they lost the first Super Bowl to the Giants. Gosh, does that one hurt me today as I wanted them to win it. My point is, I think that I put a curse on the Bills as they haven't done anything since then and next to the Lions they have also been a disgrace and not even making the playoffs since the 1999-2000 season.
Tom Train

Unread post by Tom Train »

The Lions are the last thing they should talk about. They have failed miserably, under his ownership. I defected to the Packers, years ago. You are right about what they should have mentioned.
Denny

Unread post by Denny »

Saw and heard about Mr. Ford's passing today on our Detroit news stations. Although they talked about him and the fact he was the owner of the Lions, they failed miserably about the other parts of Mr. Ford's life. In other words, he played an important role with Ford Motor Company and had a Great Lakes vessel named in his honor. The news failed to mention that the original pilothouse of the Ford still resides as a museum in Detroit now at Belle Isle. They also failed to mention "how the Ford also searched in vain for survivors of the Edmund Fitzgerald as well!" It seemed that all they wanted to talk about was the Lions which I agree was important but, don't forget the other important events of his lifetime as well. Bottom line though, it is sad that he never got to see his beloved Lions get to a Super Bowl and even win one.
Tom Train

Wm. Clay Ford, Sr.

Unread post by Tom Train »

William Clay Ford Sr. died yesterday.