American Fortitude

Discussion board focusing on Great Lakes Shipping Question & Answer. From beginner to expert all posts are welcome.
MilwBob

Re: American Fortitude

Unread post by MilwBob »

Guest1 wrote:As far as IMS and wether they bid or not weren't they expecting "a large, retired, American Flag ship in 2014?
Well, there's still the Am. Valor sitting there. Or could have been one of those unsubstantiated rumors. Remember those 5 steamers that were supposed to be turned into barges at the Erie shipyard not too long after they finished up with the Buckeye?
Shipwatcher1

Unread post by Shipwatcher1 »

The Ryerson can unload at Indiana Harbor as well, which was her primary port prior to 2006.

Yes, the Ryerson has sat for 6 years now, but she also sat from 1998-2006, and returned to service without incident, despite all the scrapping and barging rumors going around then too. CML knows what a valuable asset she is, and she will slumber until called on once again. I would assume same for the Sherwin as well.
garbear

Unread post by garbear »

Guest wrote:
Denny wrote:Regarding the Fortitude going to scrap, I have thought about a few things with her. Forgive me if this is wishful and crazy thinking on my part. Why couldn't ASC have sold her to a U.S. firm such as either Interlake, USS/GLF or Central Marine Logistics? Surely any of those three fleets could maybe have used an extra boat in their fleet. With the Fortitude's size, she was small enough to get into some of the smaller ports and carry a few grain cargoes. With the Sherwin's future in doubt, she would have made a great asset to the Interlake fleet in my opinion like the Jackson which carries a few grain cargoes. As for the CML fleet, with the Ryerson out of service surely CML could have used an extra boat in my opinion in their fleet to help with the Block and Sykes cargoes. As for USS, yeah I know they got the Republic but I think the Fortitude would have looked great in the USS/GLF colors. Think about that one! Just my thoughts and opinions only here and nothing further.
If CML needed extra capacity, the Ryerson would be reactivated long before purchasing another vessel.
What is the scenario where it would be reactivated? I read all these posts where the day will come where it happens, etc., but it's a straight decker that has sat idle for going on 6 years. There are no ports on the U.S. Great Lakes where it can unload. Only one on the Canadian side, Hamilton. And it looks like Algoma can easily supply the needs of that mill. I'd like to see it run again, but I don't see that happening. Maybe I'm missing something here, but I don't think so.
Wheelsman

Unread post by Wheelsman »

Guest1 asked the same question that's been buggin' me since it was announced the AF was going to Texas. I, too, recall a statement where Elliott at IMS, I thought, said an announcement was forthcoming regarding the acquisition of a "major US hull" for scrapping before the year was out. Now with all this, is this statement still relevant, and which hull might this be?

The Mather Museum had a nice model of the Courtney which I did some repair work on a few years ago. I wonder if they still have it. Really helped me appreciate the lines and design of this boat, even though I was up close to her several times. Loved her.
engineeringman42

Unread post by engineeringman42 »

Shipwatcher1 wrote:On todays news gallery, there are some pics from the engine room of the Fortitude. Any idea how recent those are?
Those pictures date mostly to December, 2006. One may be from 2000. Don't think I put any of my 98 pictures. You have pictures from so many engine rooms over the years....it is hard to remember all the dates.

Unread post by Guest »

Denny wrote:Regarding the Fortitude going to scrap, I have thought about a few things with her. Forgive me if this is wishful and crazy thinking on my part. Why couldn't ASC have sold her to a U.S. firm such as either Interlake, USS/GLF or Central Marine Logistics? Surely any of those three fleets could maybe have used an extra boat in their fleet. With the Fortitude's size, she was small enough to get into some of the smaller ports and carry a few grain cargoes. With the Sherwin's future in doubt, she would have made a great asset to the Interlake fleet in my opinion like the Jackson which carries a few grain cargoes. As for the CML fleet, with the Ryerson out of service surely CML could have used an extra boat in my opinion in their fleet to help with the Block and Sykes cargoes. As for USS, yeah I know they got the Republic but I think the Fortitude would have looked great in the USS/GLF colors. Think about that one! Just my thoughts and opinions only here and nothing further.
If CML needed extra capacity, the Ryerson would be reactivated long before purchasing another vessel.
garbear

Unread post by garbear »

Companies don't like selling to competitors. And looking great in USS/GLF colors is no reason to buy it.
Denny

Unread post by Denny »

Regarding the Fortitude going to scrap, I have thought about a few things with her. Forgive me if this is wishful and crazy thinking on my part. Why couldn't ASC have sold her to a U.S. firm such as either Interlake, USS/GLF or Central Marine Logistics? Surely any of those three fleets could maybe have used an extra boat in their fleet. With the Fortitude's size, she was small enough to get into some of the smaller ports and carry a few grain cargoes. With the Sherwin's future in doubt, she would have made a great asset to the Interlake fleet in my opinion like the Jackson which carries a few grain cargoes. As for the CML fleet, with the Ryerson out of service surely CML could have used an extra boat in my opinion in their fleet to help with the Block and Sykes cargoes. As for USS, yeah I know they got the Republic but I think the Fortitude would have looked great in the USS/GLF colors. Think about that one! Just my thoughts and opinions only here and nothing further.

Unread post by Guest »

But how much is the tow to Texas going to cost and any ballpark guestimates as to how much the Fortitude was actually sold for thanks?
Guest1

Unread post by Guest1 »

Which scrapyard in Brownsville is she going to?
Guest1

Unread post by Guest1 »

As far as IMS and wether they bid or not weren't they expecting "a large, retired, American Flag ship in 2014?

Unread post by Guest »

Guest wrote:And the Detroit Edison was scrapped nearly 30 years ago. Just a coincidence that she's going to the same place that the Edison and the Sharon did, instead of being scrapped on the lakes like the Nicolet was or overseas like the Consumers Power.
Consumers Power was sold by Erie Sand, not ASC.
Shipwatcher1

Unread post by Shipwatcher1 »

On todays news gallery, there are some pics from the engine room of the Fortitude. Any idea how recent those are?

Unread post by Guest »

The tow is on the move again. Showing a 3:30 AM ETA at Eisenhower Lock on Saturday morning.

And the Detroit Edison was scrapped nearly 30 years ago. Just a coincidence that she's going to the same place that the Edison and the Sharon did, instead of being scrapped on the lakes like the Nicolet was or overseas like the Consumers Power.

They either outbid IMS, or perhaps IMS didn't even place a bid. Selecting Brownsville definitely wasn't to keep it from being resold since if anyone wasn't going to do so, it would be IMS.

Brownsville is hardly going to hurt themselves if they turn around and resell her at a handsome profit. But if IMS did so, a Great Lakes fleet like Algoma Central is definitely going to think twice before accepting a bid from them in the future.
wlbblw

Unread post by wlbblw »

I *think* Detroit Edison got scrapped there too. Maybe ASC has some sort of contract with them? Maybe they want it out of here to keep it from being resold Canadian? Better scrap price? Asbestos or oil/fuel abatement? Must be some odd reason like that.

Unread post by Guest »

Guest wrote:Why tow the Fortitude all the way to Texas in the midst of very stormy weather season rather than just sell her to IMS scrap yard where she will pass right by?

Probably went to the highest bidder.

Unread post by Guest »

Why tow the Fortitude all the way to Texas in the midst of very stormy weather season rather than just sell her to IMS scrap yard where she will pass right by?
Guest1

Unread post by Guest1 »

I wish "the pirates of the Great Lakes" would board and seize her and then sell her to LLT :)

She'd look great as a gray ghost.
Denny

Unread post by Denny »

Although built at the AmShip Yards, the Kaye E. Barker along with the Oberstar were actually built at the AmShip Yard in Toledo to which many I am sure know and realize. American Fortitude was built at Amship in Lorain, Ohio. I do agree though that the Amships are some of the nicest looking boats out there. The ones from the GLEW yards are not bad either but, I agree I think I like the ones from Amship better. Just wish the Sykes though would come down the St. Clair River more often as I would love to see her sometime down this way again. She is a classic beauty if there were and they just don't make them like that with those classy lines in her!
cabinboy1

Unread post by cabinboy1 »

I have had the fortune to sail on boats from both Amship and GLEW. I agree aesthically Amship wins. Humphrey, K. Barker and Oberstar are great looking ships, very stout and solid. Fuller cabins and galleys on the poop. Mauthe(a great ship, too) had galley on the spar deck level, no cabin on poop. Only portholes and of course no open deck access(other than fantail) to dive in and get a bite. Quarters were basically the same. Unlicensed 2 to a room with heads in each.
Having sailed after crew sizes had shrunk a bit, Interlake or maybe Cliffs tried to get all crew a room to themselves on Kaye. Actually rebuilt at least one room to single up. Cliffs had put in central A/C which really made things comfy on Kaye. The others had no A/C. Humphrey did have air for all dining rooms. All rated sailors had single quarters on these boats, even in the 70's.
Mechanically all ran well. The Westinghouse turbines on J.L. sounded the best. The GE's on Oberstar and Humphrey were quiet but powerful(Oberstar still had chain driven, manual soot blowers on boilers). The DeLaval on Kaye had a bit of good turbine noise. She seemed a bit slow and hard firing smaller boilers. She also was really hot in the engineroom. Others not so much. The Hoyt,s engineroom was downright comfortable. All in all all these vessels were outstanding, comfortable well built boats. Happy Thanksgiving.