Jupiter Explosion Article in Today's Boatnerd News

Discussion board focusing on Great Lakes Shipping Question & Answer. From beginner to expert all posts are welcome.
JohnH

Re: Jupiter Explosion Article in Today's Boatnerd News

Post by JohnH »

Here is a link to some great video of that fire:

http://www.mlive.com/news/bay-city/inde ... h_ann.html
William Lafferty

Post by William Lafferty »

The engines of the Jupiter, as well as a number of other propulsion components, ended up in the tug Maurania III, built 2004 at Fall River, Massachusetts, by and for the Providence Steamboat Company of Providence, Rhode Island. The engines in question are twin EMD 16-645-E2s. McAllister Towing and Transportation Co., Inc., acquired Providence in 2006 and the tug runs for them between Philadelphia and New England.

Post by Guest »

The "Today in Great Lakes History" states that
Her engines were removed and shipped to New Bedford, Massachusetts, for future use.
Does anyone know what happened to her engines?
Jon Paul

Post by Jon Paul »

I have over 2 dozen great pics my late father Paul Michaels took of the whole event. Unfortunately due to my work schedule of 14 hours a day/7 days a week till my hotel closes I can't scan and post them till after Nov. 1st. It will be one of my first projects to post them in the News Photo Gallery as a Historical Perspective.
wlbblw

Post by wlbblw »

The John O Greenwood book "Fleet History Series" on Cleveland Tankers covers this pretty well.

Post by Guest »

Yes, the Buffalo was found liable, due to speeding. As a matter of fact, the court found that she had a reputation for speeding in the Saginaw River. At the same time, the pilings at the Total Petroleum dock that Jupiter was tied up to, were rotted.

See this link for the Appeals Court decision:

http://openjurist.org/67/f3d/1200/cleve ... st-v-mussa
DocF

Post by DocF »

I have not gone back and researched as I am busy and lazy, but I believe there was enough blame to pass around to all involved. The Buffalo got nailed for passing too close and at excessive speed. The Jupiter for not mooring correctly and not monitoring the unload properly. Total got nailed for poor dock maintenance and not properly monitoring the unloading. It still amazes me that there were not more fatalities.
William Lafferty

Post by William Lafferty »

Was the M/V Buffalo found liable in this casualty?
Well, about everybody was. Have fun reading this.

http://openjurist.org/67/f3d/1200/cleve ... st-v-mussa
hayhugh3

Post by hayhugh3 »

As stated in the article:
"A federal investigation ultimately found Total Petroleum Co. responsible for the fire because of faulty moorings. Throughout the investigation, some officials alleged the Buffalo was traveling at too high of a speed, causing a wake and suction that pulled the Jupiter away from its moorings"
Wawatam

Post by Wawatam »

Darryl wrote:Was the M/V Buffalo found liable in this casualty?
According to this article (link included below) from the Marine Historical Society of Detroit, ”…. Coast Guard investigation determined a number of deficiencies including rotted pilings and improper ship passing procedures when discharging flammable cargoes. The National Transportation Safety Board ruled on October 29, 1991 that Total Petroleum was responsible for the fire because of faulty moorings and exonerated the BUFFALO from primary responsibility.”

http://www.mhsd.org/publications/a&f2/jupiter.htm
Darryl

Jupiter Explosion Article in Today's Boatnerd News

Post by Darryl »

Was the M/V Buffalo found liable in this casualty?