Col. James M. Schoonmaker restoration

Discussion board focusing on Great Lakes Shipping Question & Answer. From beginner to expert all posts are welcome.
John

Re: Col. James M. Schoonmaker restoration

Unread post by John »

To the best of my knowledge, it was never the intention of the Col. James M. Schoonmker's re-christening and repainted project for her to be restored to her 1911 look. The idea was to restore her to look as she did in her last years sailing in the Shenango colors. Some minor differences such as the radar and stack logo I'm sure can be talked about in the future. This restoration project definitley is one to be highly commended for all the fund raising, research and back breaking sweat equity that has gone into this project by a team of very dedicated volunteers and contractors. I've attached a comple of images; one showing how the Schoonmaker looked in 1911 and one showing how she looks today (basically how she looked in the late 1950's, early 1960's with the exception of the radar)
~John
Attachments
Schoonmaker2Full.jpg
Schoonmaker2011FullHull.jpg
alerickson

Unread post by alerickson »

when i was on her as oiler in 61-62 the shenango emblem on the stack was on standoffs, not painted directly on the stack so that the heat didn't discolor the emblem. seeing it at the re-christening didn't bother the effect. overall, the people doing all this work are doing to great a job for me to nit-pick, and the director again is to be commended for his outstanding job well done. keep up the good works paul. al erickson
Wheelsman

Unread post by Wheelsman »

I did a little volunteer work on the Schoonmaker this year and can confirm the time period Leo A is refering to. Going back to total 1911-appearance would be nearly impossible. For what it's worth, it's my understanding that the CO2 room on the boat deck in front of the stack is to be removed, if it hasn't already, as well as the incinerator on the fantail. As for the radar mast, I don't recall anything being brought up about that, but in time and with the right info and funds, that may be addressed as well. The new hull colors, bright white cabins with green trim around the windows-she's absolutely gorgeous now.
John Dunlap

Unread post by John Dunlap »

in 1965, Schoonie appeared in Wilson livery with their W on her stack. The photo identified as having been taken in 1967 predates her time with Wilson. Perhaps '57?
LeoA

Unread post by LeoA »

Everything discussed was done during her Shenango days (Her radar installation, the aft deckhouse, her postwar funnel, installation of her new powerplant, hatch crane, hatch covers, etc.).

They're not trying to restore her to her 1911 appearance, they're trying to restore her to how she looked during her final sailing days in the Shenango fleet after some upgrading took place in the 1950's until she left the fleet at the end of the 1960's.

That's why I asked about her radar mast. That clearly is post Shenango and stands out as being such. So I was curious if there was going to be an effort to backdate her in a small way so the mast is representative to how she looked during her final days with the Shenango fleet, rather than being representative of her later days as the Willis B. Boyer.

Unread post by Guest »

Add to my previous post that the hatche cover are not correct. The ship had telescoping hatch covers. Also, the hatch crane is not original. Lots of expensive work here.

Unread post by Guest »

As to restoring the Schoonmaker to original construction, don't forget that the additional cabin was added over the aft engineer section. It was added because of the need for additional housing for more crew members when the watches were changed from two to three.
Also, the funnel is presently in the style which was installed when a vessel was repowered which the Schoonmaker was. This present style of funnel is for motor vessels and not the tall slendor style found on steamships. I don't know when the funnel was changed but it may have been part of the repowering project when the engine was changed.
Ron
LeoA

Col. James M. Schoonmaker restoration

Unread post by LeoA »

Since the intent is to portray her appearance after she was repowered and upgraded in her final sailing days for Shenango, I was curious if there were any plans about changing her current radar installation? What she has now looks modern and isn't what she carried in service during that time, it came later on in the 1970's after her Shenango days were behind her.

Original radar mast, as seen in 1967:
http://www.mhsd.org/photogallery/images ... ackson.jpg

Post Shenango radar mast, as seen in 2011:
http://www.boatnerd.com/news/newsthumbs ... -ready.jpg