Great Lakes ship model scales

Buy and sell Great Lakes related items

Re: Great Lakes ship model scales

Unread post by Guest »

Thanks for the reply. I originally meant to post this to the Model Building Board but apparently entered it into the Classified Board. I will probably go with the 1/700 or 1/192 scale as the 1/96 would be too big unless I was to do a smaller ship. I like to stick to scales that have a good selection of photoetch and other accessories. One of the problems with older plastic kits is that many came in box scale and that can definitely create problems when acquiring accessories.
CG Bob

Re: Great Lakes ship model scales

Unread post by CG Bob »

Some of the more common or standard ship building scales are: 1/700; 1/350; 1/192 (1/16" = 1'); 1/96 (1/8" = 1'); and 1/72nd scale. There are some photoetched, cast resin, cast metal, and 3D printed fittings in those scales. There are a few builders that use HO (1/87th) scale for their builds. If you're building for static display, 1/192nd scale might be the best, as a model of the FITZGERALD would be about 45" long. There is a guy building a radio control version of the FITZ in 1/96th scale - it's 91.25" long.

Great Lakes ship model scales

Unread post by Guest »

I considering making some models of Great Lakes ships. Is there a standard scale that most such models are built or does it depend on the ship or builder? I would like to work with one particular scale that would be easy to display the comparative sizes of different ships. However, I would also like to build them at a scale that is accepted as the standard within the hobby if one does exist.