Scrapping Rumors

Discussion board focusing on Great Lakes Shipping Question & Answer. From beginner to expert all posts are welcome.
Jon

Re: Scrapping Rumors

Unread post by Jon »

I was just wondering if some of the shorter vessels could potentially have hull work done on them like what happened with the Tim.S.Dool and the Tadoussac. One of my friends and I did a science fair project about a week ago on this and came second in our catagory.

Unread post by Guest »

I must ask this again. Why is the Algontario being considered for scrap? In 2004 she had all that steel work done to the hull. If she is scrapped, could her stern be used on the Windoc?
gunz2000

Unread post by gunz2000 »

hurd down the grape vine that port weller has been buying some equipment and had hired 30-35 guys (ruglear not temp), its not much but maybe they might be looking into building something or doing conversions agen, just hope we can bring some work back to canada, its a shame to have to send to china when the work can be done here...
Northup

Unread post by Northup »

I heard a while ago that a few new hulls were going to be built in China to replace these ships, but I guess we will just have to wait and see.
Halco

Scrapping Rumors

Unread post by Halco »

With rumors flying over the retirement and possible scrappings of Algontario, Algoisle, Algonorth, Agawa Canyon, Canadian Prospector, Canadian Leader, Canadian Miner, Gordon C. Leitch, coupled with the loss of the Algoport, how can SMT continue putting vessels out of service with nothing to take their place?

They do have the three 'Lakers' arriving later this year, but that's still only 3 boats to replace 8 on the wall. Is it unreasonable to theorize that at least a couple vessels will be returned to service? What of the Windoc hull?