Suez Canal blocked

Discussion board focusing on Great Lakes Shipping Question & Answer. From beginner to expert all posts are welcome.
Pazzo

Re: Suez Canal blocked

Unread post by Pazzo »

In the photos I've seen, the bulbous bow looks totally buried in the bank. And it almost seems counterintuitive to be working on the bow to free her up when it wedged in first. Eh, I'm just playing armchair transportation manger over here. I can't even imagine what it would take to get a big enough crane in there to lighter her. Could take weeks... I believe it.

Unread post by Guest »

The Suez blockage now has a dedicated website:

http://istheshipstillstuck.com/
JRM

Unread post by JRM »

Is the Ever Given ever given 'em trouble in the Suez.
Don_Detloff

Unread post by Don_Detloff »

That's a whole lot of 'sitting ducks' in a dangerous area of the world. Hope they get the ship out of there and nothing else happens.
BigRiver

Unread post by BigRiver »

Suez AIS
Attachments
163986276_1148193745623168_6345036817206329001_n.jpg
Denny

Unread post by Denny »

I would hate it if that happened at the Soo Locks, Welland Canal or along the St. Lawrence Seaway somewhere! Gives me goosebumps and chills just thinking about something like that. This should also show why there's such a need to have a second Poe sized Lock at the Soo in case something happens to the current one. I am just surprised that you don't seem to see or hear much about new set of Locks along the Welland Canal and Seaway like you do with the Soo Locks. I would be a bit edgy and nervous over there if there was ever anything that happened to one of their locks. It seems that the Soo Locks and Panama Canal both have new sets of locks or at least with the Soo, someday they hope and priobably will have a new Poe sized lock. So, although the Seaway Locks were built in the late 1950s how come there hasn't been much talk as far as someday building a newer set of them? The Welland Locks I know have had I think three or four sets of Locks built as far as their history goes yet the current ones I believe are older than the Seaway ones which were built in the late 1950s. I would just hate to see something happen like with the Suez Canal to where things get blocked up for days or even weeks. Yikes that be a mess then!
Ohio Bob

Suez Canal blocked

Unread post by Ohio Bob »

YIKES! A 400-meter freighter lost power, drifted sideways and is blocking the entire Suez Canal. Officials say it may take weeks to free her and open up the channel. https://www.newsmax.com/world/globaltal ... d/1015215/