Cliffs Acquisitions

Discussion board focusing on Great Lakes Shipping Question & Answer. From beginner to expert all posts are welcome.
Jon Paul

Re: Cliffs Acquisitions

Unread post by Jon Paul »

Here is a link to Cliffs advance expectations on earnings.

https://www.thestreet.com/investing/ste ... s-forecast
KH

Unread post by KH »

ChannelFever wrote:A few years back (2003 or so), the Cleveland Mill was the most efficient integrated steel mill in the country
I have heard the same, more recently in 2014-2015 at a presentation given by a representative from the Cleveland Port Authority. As long as that mill can retain it's competitive position, it should be safe for quite some time.

Unread post by Guest »

The main plant finishing mill at Ecorse is operating. Substrate comes from the other USS mills.
ChannelFever

Unread post by ChannelFever »

A few years back (2003 or so), the Cleveland Mill was the most efficient integrated steel mill in the country

Unread post by Guest »

The blast furnaces and BOFs are shutdown at Ecorse, and have been since March of 2020. US Steel has no intention to operate them again. The acquisition of the Big River Steel mini-mill in Arkansas by US Steel means the hot-end in Ecorse is finished.

Unread post by Guest »

Have any upgrades been done to the Cleveland mill in recent years to ensure its continued operation? Unfortunately, I can see a day when no more steel is produced in that city.
badger

Unread post by badger »

isnt ecorse all but shut down and probably never to work again it might have been years ago but look at 2 independent operations mclouth and weirton both are just memories now live in the present not the past
Darryl

Unread post by Darryl »

What about Ecorse?
tugboathunter

Unread post by tugboathunter »

Yes there are basically just two horses in the race now. Cliffs owns all those that I mentioned, and US Steel owns the Gary works and their Edgar Thomson Works in Pittsburgh that receives the pellets shipped to Conneaut.
garbear

Unread post by garbear »

Guest wrote:Cliffs owns the steel mill in Cleveland, too. The steel mill in Lorain isn't in operation, as far as I know. The blast furnaces haven't operated since 2008. I recall there was talk of an EAF being built at that mill, but I haven't heard anything about it in a very long time.

I created Google Maps for all the integrated steel mills in the United States and Canada. It usually is available on the homepage of Boatnerd, but there is a 'page not found' error when I click on the link so someone at Boatnerd HQ has to fix it. For now you can access the interactive map of steel mills here: https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?mid= ... sp=sharing

- Brian
the proposed pellet provider for Lorain went Bankrupt years ago.

Unread post by Guest »

Cliffs owns the steel mill in Cleveland, too. The steel mill in Lorain isn't in operation, as far as I know. The blast furnaces haven't operated since 2008. I recall there was talk of an EAF being built at that mill, but I haven't heard anything about it in a very long time.

I created Google Maps for all the integrated steel mills in the United States and Canada. It usually is available on the homepage of Boatnerd, but there is a 'page not found' error when I click on the link so someone at Boatnerd HQ has to fix it. For now you can access the interactive map of steel mills here: https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?mid= ... sp=sharing

- Brian

Unread post by Guest »

So basically they own every US steel mill bordering the Great Lakes with the exception of Gary and Lorain? Isn't there only one mill left in Cleveland also?
tugboathunter

Unread post by tugboathunter »

Cliffs owns the steel mills in Cleveland, Middletown, Dearborn, Indiana Harbor, and Burns Harbor, and of course the new HBI Plant in Toledo.

Cliffs Acquisitions

Unread post by Guest »

With all of the talk of the recent Cliffs takeover of several steel mills which ones on the lakes do they now own? What are the ones they don'?