1,000 footers at Torco Dock in Toledo

Discussion board focusing on Great Lakes Shipping Question & Answer. From beginner to expert all posts are welcome.
Mr Link

Re: 1,000 footers at Torco Dock in Toledo

Unread post by Mr Link »

Denny, It's likely that you are seeing the effects of the Ashland steel mill being shut down. When AK Steel shut down its Ashland KY blast furnace in Dec 2015 (and eventually the mill) the demand for ore across the Torco dock dropped 40 to 45%. Ashland is still shuttered and now that Cliffs owns both AK and Arcelor Mittal North America, it will likely never be re-opened.

As far as I know, Torco is now supplying just one blast furnace, #3 at Middletown, OH. It has been consistently producing 1.9 to 2.0 million metric tons of iron per year since about 2010. Ashland was producing between 1.1 and 1.6 million metric tons from 2010 to 2015 with its Amanda blast furnace.
Denny

1,000 footers at Torco Dock in Toledo

Unread post by Denny »

Noticed that I haven't been seeing too many 1,000 footers taking ore loads to Torco Dock at Toledo in the past couple of seasons or so. So far there has not been any yet this year and I don't believe there were any last year as well. In years past, Interlake would send the Barker and the Miner on a few of these trips but haven't seen either of them loading and going to the Torco Dock now in about 2 or 3 years and seasons. Anyone have any information or news on why that is? Thanks in advance for any help.