Magog Crew Mess & Chief Engineer

Discussion board focusing on Great Lakes Shipping Question & Answer. From beginner to expert all posts are welcome.

Re: Magog Crew Mess & Chief Engineer

Unread post by Guest »

johnfrombrighton wrote:Guest

Is that ever neat! Our paths may have crossed. I spent summer 1978 working on Sun Oil Dock at Sarnia. Loaded BTEX, gasoline, kerosene, jet fuel . into Hall, Stolt, Amoco, Texaco tankers with names like Hudson Transport, Island Transport, Bay Transport (really small boat), Chemical Transport, Arctic Transport (I think), Stolt Sydness, Stolt Viking, Stolt Nordness, Amoco Indiana, Amoco Illinois (Amoco boats always took jet fuel to Chicago), Texaco Warrior, Brave & Chief (at least 2 of these 3, I forget which). The Margaret M Hannah & Barge 2902 were constantly running loads of "six oil" (what Sun Oil called "heavy bottoms") to Detroit Edison plants down the river.

Best summer job I ever had.

Where is Britt?

I was on Shell tankers from 65 to 72 in the 60's every once in a while we went to the Texaco dock in Sarina which now l think is the Sun Oil dock l had 3 friends that sailed on the old Texaco Brave had some good times with those guys ! while at any dock loading or unloading we always made sure the dock guys were invited for meals on board . Britt is in Georgian Bay not to far from Parry Sound !
johnfrombrighton

Unread post by johnfrombrighton »

Plan Guy

Really appreciate this. So good to know these details.

Don't know if ships were airconditioned in the 20's, but it must have been hot back in the aft deck house during the summers.
johnfrombrighton

Is that ever neat! Our paths may have crossed. I spent summer 1978 working on Sun Oil Dock at Sarnia. Loaded BTEX, gasoline, kerosene, jet fuel .... into Hall, Stolt, Amoco, Texaco tankers with names like Hudson Transport, Island Transport, Bay Transport (really small boat), Chemical Transport, Arctic Transport (I think), Stolt Sydness, Stolt Viking, Stolt Nordness, Amoco Indiana, Amoco Illinois (Amoco boats always took jet fuel to Chicago), Texaco Warrior, Brave & Chief (at least 2 of these 3, I forget which). The Margaret M Hannah & Barge 2902 were constantly running loads of "six oil" (what Sun Oil called "heavy bottoms") to Detroit Edison plants down the river.

Best summer job I ever had.

Where is Britt?
plan guy

Unread post by plan guy »

John
Getting back to your original post. The Magog was built to a standard early canal ship design in 1927. The crews mess was on the port side ,then moving aft the galley, Pantry and fridges were located. The Officers Dining room was aft on the center line. Cooks and engine crew on Stbd. side aft to forward. All in the aft deck house. At the period of this ship(1927) there were only 2 engineers a Chief and 2nd doing 6 hour shifts .as with the deck crew. All doing a 12 hour day. The 8 hour day and 3 shifts started much later. So yes there was separate messes and yes the chief was in the engine room.

Unread post by Guest »

johnfrombrighton wrote:Guest

Thank you - very much - for this. Really appreciate.

Just curious, which canallers did you sail on & did you ever sail into Wallaceburg, Ontario?

You must have some really interesting stories.
John l sailed on tankers 3.5 years on the great lakes and 3.5 years out of Montreal to points east and in summer we went north to resupply northern communities when l was on the smaller tanker we never went to wallaceburg however l went there in the mid 90's on my own pleasure craft and spent the night there it looked real tight for a small ship to travel that river although l heard of ships going there some of the places we sailed to the rivers were very very narrow example Britt l couldn't believe when we went up the inlet there !
johnfrombrighton

Thank you - very much - for this. Really appreciate.

Just curious, which canallers did you sail on & did you ever sail into Wallaceburg, Ontario?

You must have some really interesting stories.

Unread post by Guest »

johnfrombrighton wrote:On a canaller like the CSL Magog, would there have been a separate crew & officer's mess?

When maneuvering in tight quarters/small rivers would the chief engineer be down in the engine room?

Thank you - very much - for all assistance.

John l sailed on a canaller in the sixty's for 3 + years as a wheelsman
the dinning room was across the whole stern of the ship with 2 very large tables 1 on port side for the officers and one on the starboard side for the crew as far as the chief engineer he never went in the engine room in rivers ect but he was close buy if needed the engineers on watch were quite capable to run everything in the engine room l hope the helps !
johnfrombrighton

Magog Crew Mess & Chief Engineer

On a canaller like the CSL Magog, would there have been a separate crew & officer's mess?

When maneuvering in tight quarters/small rivers would the chief engineer be down in the engine room?

Thank you - very much - for all assistance.