Canopus Pilot House

Discussion board focusing on Great Lakes Shipping Question & Answer. From beginner to expert all posts are welcome.

Re: Canopus Pilot House

Unread post by Guest »

guest wrote:no takers then let the scrap man cut it up where it lies and truck it away or if a buyer comes forward with the money why not barge it away the wheel house in detour comes to mind large toys cost large dollars

With all of the constraints in the auction offering, I can only see it going to scrap. I only was in this pilothouse once and that was back in the late 1980s. For some reason, it seemed to be little more than a shell in comparison to those of the Valley Camp and William A. Irvin but then again my memory may be somewhat faded as I have been aboard the latter vessels a couple of times each.

Re: Canopus Pilot House

Unread post by guest »

no takers then let the scrap man cut it up where it lies and truck it away or if a buyer comes forward with the money why not barge it away the wheel house in detour comes to mind large toys cost large dollars

Canopus Pilot House

Unread post by Guest »

Read about the Canopus pilot house being put up for auction by the city of Vermillion. Seems like a lot of restrictions being put on prospective buyers with having to have it moved within a few weeks and not being able to even view the interior. Seems like moving such a structure would involve quite a bit of red tape including where it was to be placed and that undoubtedly takes a considerable amount of time to complete. Furthermore, I doubt companies with the necessary expertise to move such a unique artifact are available at short notice. Hopefully, this doesn't deter potential buyers.