Laker Interior Photos

Discussion board focusing on Great Lakes Shipping Question & Answer. From beginner to expert all posts are welcome.

Re: Laker Interior Photos

Unread post by Guest »

guest wrote:wonder how fire proof all that pretty wood was? but then again ships dont burn do they? check out fire on cartiercliff hall 1979
That's a very good point. However, haven't there been some problems with toxic fumes from the burning of modern materials such as foam panels and certain plastic laminates? My aunt once dated a firefighter back in the 1970s and he said that in many ways fire was almost like a living creature that is capable of doing some very unexpected things.

Unread post by Guest »

Old Man wrote:It was the old boats that had the beautiful interiors. There was no end of wood appointments in the cabins. Functional yet attractive. But the craftsmen are long gone and substitutes are cheaper. Check out the interiors of the Wm. G. Mather in Cleveland, the Wm. A. Irvin in Duluth or Col. James M. Schoonmaker in Toledo iif you want to see then beauties of the past. By the forties interior wood was disappearing except for a few exceptional new builds and flagships.

I Quite agree
Darryl

Unread post by Darryl »

Also, under Fleet Photos, at this website, they have pretty good interior shots of the Edward L Ryerson. These include pilothouse, galley and passenger quarters. But maybe you've seen that already.

Unread post by guest »

wonder how fire proof all that pretty wood was? but then again ships dont burn do they? check out fire on cartiercliff hall 1979

Unread post by Guest »

This is why photos aren't posted.
Clean linen locker onboard a current US flagged Great Lakes vessel.
Modern day owners.
Attachments
180862717_3871272812940951_1089590312636387556_n.jpg
180817817_3871272869607612_184156112960681512_n.jpg
Old Man

Unread post by Old Man »

It was the old boats that had the beautiful interiors. There was no end of wood appointments in the cabins. Functional yet attractive. But the craftsmen are long gone and substitutes are cheaper. Check out the interiors of the Wm. G. Mather in Cleveland, the Wm. A. Irvin in Duluth or Col. James M. Schoonmaker in Toledo iif you want to see then beauties of the past. By the forties interior wood was disappearing except for a few exceptional new builds and flagships.
Scott

Laker Interior Photos

Unread post by Scott »

I'll admit that I am a huge fan of pictures of the interiors of the modern day great lakes fleet. I'm not sure if it's a company issue or not, but we rarely get to see photos of the interiors of the ships. I get it, the company probably doesn't want its sailors walking around snapping photos on work hours, or perhaps they want to keep the info of their ships to themselves. Whatever it is, I'm hoping for more photos in the future.