Return to Great Lakes & Seaway Shipping Great Lakes & Seaway Shipping Online
Discussion Boards
Please click to visit our sponsor
It is currently June 18, 2021, 4:52 pm

FAQ | Instructions | Help
Search for:

Post subject: Re: Duluth Entry Question
Unread postPosted: May 7, 2021, 9:58 pm 

I definitely remember seeing a photo of two ships passing in the Duluth Ship Canal although I can't find it at the moment. If memory serves it dates to the 1930s or 1940s. Don't know how common a practice two-way traffic ever was at Duluth.

Commercial ship visits to Duluth-Superior peaked at over 7,000 visits per season in 1902, so that would've represented the maximum pressure on the Duluth and Superior Entries. I believe the Duluth Ship Canal was widened to its current dimensions in 1900 or 1901, so 1902 might've seen a lot of two-way traffic in the Duluth Canal.

Commercial ship visits to the Twin Ports hovered in the 4,000 - 6,000 trips per year range in the 1910s-1920s, and again in the 1940s-early 1950s. As larger vessels came on the scene, those statistics began changing, and after the wartime iron ore shipment peak in 1953 Duluth-Superior's annual ship visit count dropped significantly. I'd imagine that might've been about the same time that two-way traffic through the canal fizzled out for good.

Report this post
 Post subject: Duluth Entry Question
Unread postPosted: May 7, 2021, 5:31 pm 
I know with larger ships it would be a problem but were ships ever able to pass each other while transiting the Duluth Entry? I'm thinking along the lines of when ships had beams under 70 feet.

Report this post