Straight Decker vs. Self-Unloader Preference

Discussion board focusing on Great Lakes Shipping Question & Answer. From beginner to expert all posts are welcome.
Jon Paul

Re: Straight Decker vs. Self-Unloader Preference

Unread post by Jon Paul »

I would say it depended on the boat and especially the self unloader. The old hatch farm self unloaders that ran the lower lakes with lots of cargo varieties could wear thru a deck crew on a steady basis. You rarely felt clean or rested. Lots of guys prefered the longer haul ore runs on the strait deckers and settling into a home for the season and a less intense pace. And before the unlicensed got the time on/time off benifit it basically was home for 9-10 months, lol

Unread post by Guest »

There is undoubtedly a lot more maintenance involved in operating a self-unloader in comparison to a straight decker. I'm sure that one of the benefits of working on the Bradley boats was that they were based out of Rogers City so that is why so many of their crewmembers came from that city and the surrounding community. This would allow many of those sailing those ships to visit home much more often than was common in other fleets especially in the days when many worked onboard from spring fitout to winter layup without vacation.

Unread post by Guest »

I know alot of guys liked the self unloaders cause there was lots of overtime where as the straightdeckers would be considerably less, now if you are the captain whos on salary you would prefer the big bulker!

Straight Decker vs. Self-Unloader Preference

Unread post by Guest »

Back in the years leading up to the 1980s when nearly all of the US fleet went to self-unloading vessels were jobs aboard straight deckers and self-unloaders preferred by crews one way or the other? For example, fleets like Columbia Transportation which operated a mixed fleet of both bulk carriers and self-unloaders were crew postings to one type or the other considered to be better than the other. I would assume that since most self-unloaders up to the new builds of the 1970s were older converted vessels that a job aboard a new 1950s era straight decker like the Armco or Reserve was more sought after than one aboard a ship like the W. W. Holloway.

How is this looked at today in the Algoma and CSL fleets with their combination of straight deckers and self-unloaders?