Central Marine Logistics

Discussion board focusing on Great Lakes Shipping Question & Answer. From beginner to expert all posts are welcome.
Jon Paul

Re: Central Marine Logistics

Unread post by Jon Paul »

Guest wrote:
Jon Paul wrote:I think part of the confusion for some came from the active CML boats having the Cliffs logo on the stacks now.
Cliffs seems to have everything currently covered and Interlake and VTB seems to be getting a large share of the haulage.

Is ASC getting any of these cargoes?
ASC footers are servicing Indiana Harbor, Burns Harbor and Cleveland.

Unread post by Guest »

Jon Paul wrote:I think part of the confusion for some came from the active CML boats having the Cliffs logo on the stacks now.
Cliffs seems to have everything currently covered and Interlake and VTB seems to be getting a large share of the haulage.

Is ASC getting any of these cargoes?
hugh3

Unread post by hugh3 »

Photo of stack?
Jon Paul

Unread post by Jon Paul »

I think part of the confusion for some came from the active CML boats having the Cliffs logo on the stacks now.

Unread post by Guest »

That's pretty much about what I thought was the arrangement. I was just getting confused because a lot of people are referring the CML boats as Cliffs boats and other than the charter that is not correct. I'm assuming that Cliffs has not created a new marine department at this time to operate any vessels. I highly doubt that Cliffs would be interested in acquiring its own fleet when it can get the best possible rates out of the few players left and not have to deal with any of the downsides of operating such an enterprise with all of the various labor contracts, etc.

Unread post by Guest »

Shipwatcher News wrote:I do not believe that Cleveland-Cliffs has ownership of Indiana Harbor Steamship or Central Marine Logistics. I'm pretty sure they just have a cargo charter on the boats.
this is correct
Shipwatcher News

Unread post by Shipwatcher News »

I do not believe that Cleveland-Cliffs has ownership of Indiana Harbor Steamship or Central Marine Logistics. I'm pretty sure they just have a cargo charter on the boats.
Shipwatcher News

Unread post by Shipwatcher News »

Central Marine Logistics is in charge of managing the three vessels owned by Indiana Harbor Steamship Co., which is a holding company that owns the Block, Ryerson, and Sykes. Cleveland-Cliffs has a cargo charter to the CML fleet, but CML is able to pursue other contracts, ex the stone contracts usually fulfilled by the Sykes

Central Marine Logistics

Unread post by Guest »

With Cleveland Cliffs a wholly-owned US entity does it now exercise direct control over CML? Or does CML operate as an independent division and pursue contracts outside of Cliff's requirement?