port colborne corn starch plant

Discussion board focusing on Great Lakes Shipping Question & Answer. From beginner to expert all posts are welcome.

Re: port colborne corn starch plant

Unread post by guest »

i wouldnt think it would be impossible to run above lock 7, except what cargo would they carry and/or pickup? and turning around they would have to be very careful unlike the poor leadale which caused her demise

Unread post by Guest »

From looking at the Welland Canal it appears that the 767 footers like the Anderson and even ships to the size of the Lee A. Tregurtha are able to transit Lock 8. Would it be possible for ships of these sizes to serve docks located above Lock 7? Are there any bends in the canal that would prevent a vessel of this size from navigating downbound to just above Lock 7?

Unread post by Guest »

guest wrote:do lake boats still unload corn at the starch plant in port colborne? in the late 90s i seen one of gfl 767s unloading at the plant south of lock 8. she backed in stern first off of lake erie and thru lock 8. when she was finished unloading she headed bow first into lock 8 and out into lake erie i also saw the cuhahoga unloading there in the 90s
The starch plant is located North of lock 8.
herb

Unread post by herb »

Been some time since a vessel has unloaded at what is now known as Ingredion. Suspect the high $US and the increase in availability of locally grown corn makes it uneconomical. Corn by vessel came mostly from Toledo. Dock is still there but no longer accessible for viewing except on foot or bicycle or from a distance on the east side.

Unread post by Guest »

Most of these trips into the Welland were done by the Arthur M Anderson. I was the relief first mate in August. We made two or three trips while I was on board. I had a pilots licensed for the Welland and Lake Ontario as well as the rest of the lakes.

port colborne corn starch plant

Unread post by guest »

do lake boats still unload corn at the starch plant in port colborne? in the late 90s i seen one of gfl 767s unloading at the plant south of lock 8. she backed in stern first off of lake erie and thru lock 8. when she was finished unloading she headed bow first into lock 8 and out into lake erie i also saw the cuhahoga unloading there in the 90s