sun doxford diesel engines

Discussion board focusing on Great Lakes Shipping Question & Answer. From beginner to expert all posts are welcome.

Re: sun doxford diesel engines

Unread post by Guest »

Upper Lakes put I think a Doxford in the Canadian Pioneer and I dont think they were very happy with the performance!
William Lafferty

Unread post by William Lafferty »

Sun Shipbuilding & Drydock Company obtained a license from William Doxford & Sons, Ltd., on 16 March 1922 for construction of its opposed piston Diesel engine designs. Sun built the engines at its Wetherill Plant at 6th and Upland Streets in Chester, Pennsylvania. The Ford engines were the first produced by Sun in 1923, modeled on the engine installed on the Swedish motorship Eknaren of 1922, built by Doxford.

Unread post by Guest »

Benson and HenryII both had them.
Lakercapt

Unread post by Lakercapt »

Yes, Doxford diesel engines were British engines. and very popular at one time.
I sailed on many ships with this type of engine and it came with many configurations. There was one a three-cylinder which was called the economy
They were mainly opposed pistons and looked unusual when operating with the upper part moving with cooling hoses going up and down on cradles.
If you google Dxford marine engines there are several videos of them operating.
Alas they are no longer in business but some engines are still operting

sun doxford diesel engines

Unread post by guest »

was it called a "Sun Doxford" because it was built under license by the sun ship building co in chester, pa because i believe doxfords were english built diesel engines didnt the benson ford have a doxford?