Power Plant Lifespan

Discussion board focusing on Great Lakes Shipping Question & Answer. From beginner to expert all posts are welcome.

Re: Power Plant Lifespan

Unread post by guest »

Guest wrote:Diesel vs Steam Plants: steam wins in the long run. Steam plants can last as long as the hull can with proper maintenance. Ahh, diesels get very worn out and need to be replaced more often l, even with proper maintenance.
At least for recrprocating engines, I'd say that this observation has more to do with the speed of the engine rather than what it is fueled with. The larger slow speed diesels (some below 100 rpm and most used more on the ocean than on the Great Lakes) also seem to last as long as the hull. It's the medium and higher speed diesels that tend to wear out faster.

Re: Power Plant Lifespan

Unread post by Guest »

Diesel vs Steam Plants: steam wins in the long run. Steam plants can last as long as the hull can with proper maintenance. Ahh, diesels get very worn out and need to be replaced more often l, even with proper maintenance.
Scott

Power Plant Lifespan

Unread post by Scott »

I'm curious as to what the lifespan is for the average laker engines? I'm guessing that the engines of most ships are in use almost constantly 9 - 10 months out of the year. Barring maintenance, how many years will a average power plant last?